Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
My Tikka stock is not free floating. Has anyone removed anything from the stock...this is a plastic stock.
When I got it I shot a box of factory ammo through it and now I want to reload those with those empty brass.
But wondering with this 223Rem...should I attempt to remove material to get it free floated??

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How does it shoot?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mine wasn't either. You can free float it fairly easily.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Is it in stock correctly ?

sometimes they are properly seated in stock.......

hold your hands over action & mid barrel length.......

rock it into place to seat recoil lug.in stock.......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
All the t3 lites have a speedbump a few inches ahead of the receiver. I’ve removed them on all of mine, as well as used a few replacement stocks from B&C to manners, in which the barrels were fully floated. Mine have all shot as well or better after floating.

That’s not to say yours may shoot great as issued though. If it ain’t broke..

IC B2

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I just thought Tikka rifles were free float out the box.One reason why they are accurate.
Mine shot factory ammo (Winchester white box 40gr if I remember correctly) between 1" to 1.5" but I got this ammo primarily to shoot the schit up and then reload with better bullets like vmax and NBT.
So I am going to reload for this but meanwhile I thought if it should be free float then I need to give this attention.
I might as well remove the stock from this Tikka and check underneath.
What is the torque specs for the Tikka rifles?

(I am going to have to buy a torgue wrench because the scope on my son's 308W moved when I put another scope on it. I always go for as light of a torque as I can but...)

V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I did not know these Tikka would have speed bumps ahead of the receiver. I will go ahead and load for this and see how it shoots before considering removing the speed bumps...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by valad
I did not know these Tikka would have speed bumps ahead of the receiver. I will go ahead and load for this and see how it shoots before considering removing the speed bumps...

I think you should. People are getting phenomenal results with them just as they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Torque specs for action screws for my Tikka T3x are 44 in-lbs for the plastic bottom and 62 in-lbs for the metal bottom.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've yet to have or see a rifle with a free floating stock.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There are two points of contact in front of the action. They are part of the structural design of the stock. Out of the box Tikka's are hard to beat no matter what bedding style you compare them to. Just think of them as half priced Sako's with the ejector in the right place..

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/16/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Load and shoot, doesn't get any easier.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Torque specs for action screws for my Tikka T3x are 44 in-lbs for the plastic bottom and 62 in-lbs for the metal bottom.

I thought they were 62 in-lbs across the board? I just bought a new T3x Lite SS in 7RM and only saw 62 in the book???

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just shoot more better.

Last edited by STS45; 12/16/17.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alex38
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

I thought they were 62 in-lbs across the board? I just bought a new T3x Lite SS in 7RM and only saw 62 in the book???

Top of page 13 in the manual. There’s a separate section for the TAC model right underneath that calls for 62 for all.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by valad
My Tikka stock is not free floating. Has anyone removed anything from the stock...this is a plastic stock.
When I got it I shot a box of factory ammo through it and now I want to reload those with those empty brass.
But wondering with this 223Rem...should I attempt to remove material to get it free floated??

I know a few who have removed the factory bumps that Tikka put there. Most of the time it turned there tack driver into an average shooter so I don't recommend it. Tikka CNC machines there stocks to a precise fit including the part that is meant to touch the barrel. Every Tikka I have owned touches at the same point and then is free floated from that point forward

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 12/17/17.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Trystan
Tikka CNC machines there stocks to a precise fit including the part that is meant to touch the barrel. Every Tikka I have owned touches at the same point and then is free floated from that point forward

Trystan

Tikka machines their stocks?? You learn something new every day I guess.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Tikka CNC machines there stocks to a precise fit including the part that is meant to touch the barrel. Every Tikka I have owned touches at the same point and then is free floated from that point forward

Trystan

Only the part of the stock that the action drops into to be more accurate with my statement

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Only the part of the stock that the action drops into to be more accurate with my statement

Trystan

Is that the same as "the part that touches the barrel?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do they machine in those casting marks?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve got a T3 223 is yours the 1/8 twist? If so try some heavier bullets. Only owned two Tikkas but each shot great right out of the box just like all the others you can read about here. I wouldn’t bubba up the stock myself.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have had a T3 in 308 and now a T3x in 30-06, both have pressure points on the shank and both were /are the best shooting rifles I have ever owned.Do not screw with the inletting would be my best advice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've yet to have or see a rifle with a free floating stock.

Ha Ha, ya a free floating stock would certainly have bedding issue's?

A free floating barrel on the other hand is usually a good thing! wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Shoot it some more first.

Not a scientific evaluation, just a recent experience:

I have a 30-06 T3 in a replacement walnut stock. It is bedded from the recoil lug to under the chamber and left it floating the rest of the way. It put it's favorite load of 165 SGKs into an inch at 200 yards (3 shot group) a couple of times and nothing over two inches, with that load, that day.

The same day I brought my recently aqquired a T3 6.5x55 in the standard synthetic stock, unaltered. Tried some Federal Fusion 140's just to see what they would do. At 200 yards they put three shots into one inch after adjusting the scope. I also tried some loads of 140 Partitions over RL22 that shot well in my old 96 Mauser. They went into a inch as well, like the Federals.

Since this all happened on the same day, it may be a fluke. I should try five and ten shot groups. Still, I have never found the unmolested synthetic stock to cause any issues.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by smokepole

Trystan

Trystan

Damnedest fugging thing I've ever seen posted here. Hollleeeee chit I gotta check mine out for them CNC tracks.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Laughing...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
LAFFIN

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My as from the factory T3 Lite SS 6.5x55 shot all my work up loads under and inch and several under 1/2 inch.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.