Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Looking to get one of these for my #1 Intl 6.5x55. Any feedback from those of you who own one?

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I owned a IOR 6x which gave me me years of trouble free service. It has very clear glass and tracted well. Only drawback was the size and weight.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For a fixed power the 6x I have is big and heavy and has less eye relief than most fixed 6 scopes. The glass is very clear and it tracks great.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have one on a CZ 9.3x62. Scope is heavy and rather primitive in design but optically excellent

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have had the IOR 4X with 4A reticle on a Ruger 44 semi-auto carbine for a few years. It has a steel tube. The scope has proven itself to be very sturdy and reliable. The clarity and resolution are outstanding (at least to my eyes). Eye relief seems ok and I have no issue quickly acquiring a sight picture. I hunt in the deep south where humidity is high but I've had no issues with the steel tube rusting. I won't be selling mine. One thing that I have read on some forums (though I have no 1st-hand experience with this) is that customer service may be lacking at times. As sturdy as this scope is, I may never have to find out.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Have one on a CZ 9.3x62. Scope is heavy and rather primitive in design but optically excellent

I have 2. Mounted on savage 99 .300
And 9.3 x 62 Mauser custom.

I find them also excellent.

I'm not sure I understand the "Primative" design. 4x scopes are what they are. What kind of innovation can you have??

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari

I'm not sure I understand the "Primative" design. 4x scopes are what they are. What kind of innovation can you have??

Heavy (not many steel tube scopes out there today for the Sporting market), not very sleek in form (I had to go up in ring height because of the large eye-piece on the IOR vs the previous Sightron that was on rifle), with 1/2" adjustments. Looks like it was made by a Soviet Bloc..., oh wait, it was... Nothing wrong with any of that, I quite like them. It looks right at home on my equally not very svelte CZ 550. And they have decent tube length for mounting. Just saying that compared to, say, a Leupold FX 4x, the IOR is a heavy duty piece of gear. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. BTW, I bought mine when they were $225, about 12 years ago.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
IMO it is a very good optic. I have one with the No. 1 reticle. I sold the rifle I had it on and have been on the fence about selling the scope as I like the No.1 reticle. I'm just not a fixed power type, prefer variables for some reason. Christmas may force the liquidation of some of my surplus scopes and this will probably be one that goes. PM me if you're interested.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love the glass in IOR scopes.

Just as one data point re: IOR customer service - I bought an IOR 9-36x56 used and enjoyed it for 3-4 years. Then it started moving the reticle when I'd adjust the SF. I sent it in, Val called me and told me he was expecting a shipment in a week and sent me a new scope.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by hatari

Heavy (not many steel tube scopes out there today for the Sporting market), not very sleek in form (I had to go up in ring height because of the large eye-piece on the IOR vs the previous Sightron that was on rifle), with 1/2" adjustments. Looks like it was made by a Soviet Bloc..., oh wait, it was... Nothing wrong with any of that, I quite like them. It looks right at home on my equally not very svelte CZ 550. And they have decent tube length for mounting. Just saying that compared to, say, a Leupold FX 4x, the IOR is a heavy duty piece of gear. Again, not necessarily a bad thing. BTW, I bought mine when they were $225, about 12 years ago.

OK, I follow now. Wish they were still $225.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had one mounted on my Ruger M77RS in 35 Whelen since 2002 and it's never had an issue.
Nothing fancy, it just works. Excellent hunting scope for the money.
Love the reticle (4A) and it has pretty decent glass.
I'd buy another one.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
I have a 4x with the #4 reticle, mounted on my Ruger 77 African in .223.
I find the eye relief is less than the listed 3.5 inches, at least for my tri-focal aging eyes. However the glass is razor sharp, better than my Zeiss Diatal 4x. It's heavy with the steel tube but adjustments are very reliable. The mounting length I just a tad short for a LA Model70.
I like the fine center wire in the reticle, makes it easier for precise aiming with the 223.
I would buy another just would not put it on anything more stout than a 30-06 because of the eye relief.
Your results may vary. With my eyesight, I'm finding it easier to use god fixed power scopes.

Trading on GB as Cajunchef,
God Bless America!
Charles Ray, Jr.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.