Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking for a decent afforable internal frame pack, something capable of hauling out a deboned deer in one trip, along with 2-3 days of gear. I used an external frame for years for moose, goat etc. It was good for week long trips and large moose quarters, but most of my backpack hunts are shorter in duration and only for smaller animals like deer, so would like to downsize my pack accordingly. Ive used an alice pack to haul a deer out before, but the external frames suck for those weight wise. Thinking there is something better out there I dont have exposure to, so lets hear it.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd look for a used Kifaru generation 2 Longhunter on ebay or their website classifieds. There are plenty of other good ones but that's the one I know best.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
^^^^^^^^^^ I agree, check Kifaru trading post, Rokslide FS section, here, maybe AR and Trailspace as there are LOTS of fine packs and other gear for sale so you can get a good pack at a decent price.

I like Seek Outside best for ME now, used many Dana Design and MR packs over nearly 40 years, still have a DD Shortbed I will not part with and I bought four of these used and minty, then kept the one I liked best.

SO also has a For Sale section on their forum.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does Seek Outside make internal frame packs now?

Might have to try one of those out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks fellas, any other specific models to keep an eye out for?

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SNAP
^^^^^^^^^^ I agree, check Kifaru trading post, Rokslide FS section, here, maybe AR and Trailspace as there are LOTS of fine packs and other gear for sale so you can get a good pack at a decent price.

I like Seek Outside best for ME now, used many Dana Design and MR packs over nearly 40 years, still have a DD Shortbed I will not part with and I bought four of these used and minty, then kept the one I liked best.

SO also has a For Sale section on their forum.

Good info here. Thanx SNAP.
😊

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
ILBE. It will haul more than you can, and last and last.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
“On the cheap” & Kifaru or Seek Outside don’t really go together that well.

The Eberlestock F1 Mainframe

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2634132812/eberlestock-f1-mainframe-backpack

& superspike duffel

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2634358938/eberlestock-super-spike-duffel-bag-nylon

Have served me very nicely tho I don’t know how much better they’d be than the external frame you already have?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
True, but, good deals on super gear ARE out there and worth looking for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s allota weight. I’d be looking for a used pack on the cheap. My neighbor gave me a 90’s era mountainsmith frostfire. I replaced the belt tightener to a more modern double pull type. Loaned it to a buddy and he hauled a boned out Muley and half of our 5 day camp. It handled it as well as my Kifaru did.

We have a used/secondhand backpacking store in Portland Or and I’ve seen mountain Smith and Dana designs packs on the rack.

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I would actually suggest that going with SNAP's recommendation of a SO pack, or another premium pack that may be a better fit for you individually, would be "on the cheap" in the long run. I went through a lot of packs, and spent a lot of money, before I finally ended up with my SO Paradox, and I'm happy with everything about it. Never had a pack that fit me so well, and consequently felt so light to carry even when loaded.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd never heard of Seek Outside before seeing this thread. Looks like they make some good stuff.

Last edited by 340boy; 12/17/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

I would actually suggest that going with SNAP's recommendation of a SO pack, or another premium pack that may be a better fit for you individually, would be "on the cheap" in the long run. I went through a lot of packs, and spent a lot of money, before I finally ended up with my SO Paradox, and I'm happy with everything about it. Never had a pack that fit me so well, and consequently felt so light to carry even when loaded.

Thats the problem with fleabay and classifieds...dont have an idea on fit until it arrives. We have an REI nearby and a few Bass Pro. I get up to SC somewhat regularly and they have a Sportsmans

I do appreciate the suggestions as it gives me something to hone in on.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd look for a older model Arcteryx Bora 80. You may never feel the need to upgrade.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

O
O
I have an 85L Osprey Aether that I bought on sale for $170. I took it on a wilderness elk/mulie hunt in October and just got back from a sheep hunt. It carried 2/3 of a bone in mulie plus spike camp great. We were 8 miles in to Jarbidge. Also carried out 1/3 of a bone-out elk from the same spot a couple days earlier with no issues. I cannot safely carry more weight than this pack in that terrain that steep.

My original plan with this pack was to have something practical for ~30 lbs loads during the summer when I'm out scouting on 3-4 day trips, and have the extra volume for glamping trips with the girlfriend where I bring wine, beer growlers, etc. I did a 40 mile trip through Jarbidge in July with 65 lbs in it that was primarily off trail, and decided that it carried that weight so well that I wanted to try it for packing meat out. Worked great and the compression system allowed me to keep the weight up near my shoulders even with boned out elk quarters.

Last edited by owenst7; 12/18/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Plenty of really low mileage 90s Gregory’s Dana design and mountain smith available dirt cheap- but not so readily available in fernandina. If you got friends or family in the appilachians smokies blueridge mountains etc or in a Mountain state west hey should be able to scoop you up a prize for around $50. If you got buddies on the fire they do the same for you. Jus tell them you need a medium or whatever Gregory palisade or Dana terraplane or whatever it is they need to keep an eye out for. I’m in Savannah now so stop through on you way to SC and try on 6-7 different packs if you want I’ve got Dana’s in 2 sizes here and mountnsmith and a Lowe

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/31/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wrongside
I'd look for a older model Arcteryx Bora 80. You may never feel the need to upgrade.

Bought one used that looked like it never left the closet. Gave $100 or maybe $150 for it. It’s a great pack.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Kelty Redwing 50. they are available in multiple capacity ranges and colors.

very reasonably priced.

my son uses an REI pack that is almost identical in construction/design/comfort. my wife picked it up at a garage sale for $7. I love that woman. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
I use a Kelty Redwing 50. they are available in multiple capacity ranges and colors.

very reasonably priced.

my son uses an REI pack that is almost identical in construction/design/comfort. my wife picked it up at a garage sale for $7. I love that woman. smile

that Kelty Redwing series is available at Academy for around $100. Sorry I didnt mention that in first post.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Bought one used that looked like it never left the closet. Gave $100 or maybe $150 for it. It’s a great pack.

The older Canadian? made Boras are awesome, no question. Nice score.

James Elroy Flecker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,968 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.