Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I recently purchased a Winchester Pre-64 model 64 Deluxe Carbine at a local estate auction. The rifle is very nice but has a ventilated Pachmeyer pad on it. In addition, the toe of the pad does not follow the line of the stock well. I want to have this replaced with a hard rubber Winchester pad. I want to have it done correctly. Now before you say "it's just a pad, anyone can do it", please know that I have seen dozens of horrible pad jobs and I have been disappointed by gunsmith work on more than one occasion.
Where should I send this gun to have the pad put on correctly ?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by pharmvet; 12/11/17.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Before you jump.That looks like a shotgun pad ( which I put on all my guns that have a bit of a recoil). Keep in mind a solid rubber pad might not be as thick so you would cut the LOP. Can you stand that?

From the 1st photo,it looks like that pad could be dressed down at the back of it to more fully following stock lines.Not perfect though,and you would still have the ventilated pad which you seem to not care for. Just a thought though

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/11/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depending on your objective the solid red Winchester pad is not as thick as the pad that is on the rifle, it will as the above poster notes shorten the LOP a little. Also the Winchester pad does not do a good job of reducing recoil, if your objective is solely aesthetic improvement that's not an issue. If on the other hand you intend to shoot the rifle, a red Decelerator would be preferable. Our own Jim Kobe has installed a couple of Decelerator pads on pre'64 M/70's for me, his work was well done and the turn around was quick.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've let local shoe repair guys fit recoil pads for me before with excellent results. Just got to let them know what you expect in terms of not damaging original finish with proper prep, etc. (I don't leave anything un-said any more, especially with young people!) I know you said you wanted a solid pad but they might be able to clean that one up pretty well with the proper equipment.

The toughest thing may be finding an old timer with the skills. With everything becoming "disposable" in the last 20-30 years, it seems like the old shoe repair shops are disappearing, at least where I am!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If the issue with the present unit is excess material, one can clean it up with a belt or disk sander.

1Minute
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lundtroller
I've let local shoe repair guys fit recoil pads for me before with excellent results...

You must be kidding! Or you have very low expectations.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"redneck" is doing a pad for me right now. Did a great job on a Savage 99 for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That pad could be cleaned up but it just doesn't look right to me. The metal Winchester plate my first choice, or the thicker red pad would improve the appearance and as others said a Red Decelerator might be best for a using rifle. A Decelerator could match the current thickness. There are also hard rubber Winchester butt plates that could be appropriate.
For a rifle used for stalking which is what I think they are made for a slightly shorter length of pull is better especially with heavy clothes as long as you don't tweak your nose when shooting.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,550
Posts18,453,577
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.