Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Has anyone flown with Island Air Service on Kodiak Island? What was your experience like? Would you recommend them?

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We used Island Air Service on Kodiak to fly out to the big boat we used as a lodge a few weeks ago. No issues and they seemed dialed in.

Andy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hopped their mail plane many a time to get to and from some friends’ place. Always great pilots, friendly folks at the desk, and way cheaper than Andrew Airways.

KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
Hopped their mail plane many a time to get to and from some friends’ place. Always great pilots, friendly folks at the desk, and way cheaper than Andrew Airways.

Kid:

Thanks. This was what I was hoping to find.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by aheider
We used Island Air Service on Kodiak to fly out to the big boat we used as a lodge a few weeks ago. No issues and they seemed dialed in.

Andy

Were you on the Sundy?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of the flight services on the Island , including Island Air, offer float planes but Island Air has scheduled village mail contracts which offer much cheaper seat fares to all the villages. In addition they off beach landings on wheels in places a float plane can not access and for the serious goat and deer hunters offer flights into many of the small, high altitude lakes, which saves A LOT of bushwhacking!
I may be slightly prejudiced however as my son is one of the owners and I also do a little fill in flying with them on our off season.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Taj and Eric are good people. Jay will fly for them at times. He’s got a mouth like a commercial fisherman but is quick and funny once you get past the “f” bombs going off around you. But dang he’s funny! Lotta experience in that crew of pilots. Great variety of planes and services. Kodiak is one of those places where all the air taxis have a great reputation and seem to work well around each other. I’d be surprised if you had a bad experience with island air.
But if 458win shows up to fly the eye candy effect of Phil’s beard would be worth the plane ride!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

Andy

Were you on the Sundy?

We flew out to the boat on a Saturday and returned the following Saturday. Weather window was perfect although we talked to a group that had a 3 day delay due to wind.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've flown with them several times. Great folks, well maintained aircraft, really know the area, and don't do stupid stuff.

I'll fly with them again.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Andy

Were you on the Sundy?

We flew out to the boat on a Saturday and returned the following Saturday. Weather window was perfect although we talked to a group that had a 3 day delay due to wind.

Sorry. Sundy (not Sunday) is a boat. wink

They operate west side.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Andy

Were you on the Sundy?

Sorry. Sundy (not Sunday) is a boat. wink

They operate west side.

Whoops! Nope we were on the Spirit.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used their float plane service many, many times over the last 7 or 8 years and highly recommend them. I've also flown with Andrew's a few times and they run a very tight ship as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the flight services on Kodiak but Island Air is definitely my first choice and Bob Stanford is probably the best pilot I've ever flown with, unfortunately Bob is not currently flying but hopefully that will change soon.

Last edited by AK_Troutbum; 12/15/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob is a great pilot but is rapidly closing in on retirement, which considering where he has done most of his flying is the best indicator of how good a pilot he is. But Erik and Taj, and the crew they have assembled, are also superb pilots.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 458Win
Bob is a great pilot but is rapidly closing in on retirement, which considering where he has done most of his flying is the best indicator of how good a pilot he is. But Erik and Taj, and the crew they have assembled, are also superb pilots.

You'll get no argument from me Phil. I've also flown with your son at least a half dozen times and I've even trusted my 12 year old son in Taj's vary capable flying hands. You obviously taught him well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum
I've used their float plane service many, many times over the last 7 or 8 years and highly recommend them. I've also flown with Andrew's a few times and they run a very tight ship as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the flight services on Kodiak but Island Air is definitely my first choice and Bob Stanford is probably the best pilot I've ever flown with, unfortunately Bob is not currently flying but hopefully that will change soon.

There is one air service I would never fly on. Others in my party were equally, um, "amazed" at his, um, "talents".

Should add, it's NOT an outfit mentioned in this thread.

Last edited by ironbender; 12/16/17.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

There is one air service I would never fly on. Others in my party were equally, um, "amazed" at his, um, "talents".

Is he still flyin'? Never for me. smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't know, kid.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Well....don't leave us hangin'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.