Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We have an hour long discussion regarding situational awareness, with Col. Cooper's color chart to make it more interesting. I also teach avoidance if they can avoid or retreat safely. We also discuss use of deadly force at length and discuss the case law that has shaped the use of deadly force for the entire nation. I agree with the proposition that ladies can outshoot most men. They take instruction better usually and don't have a testosterone boosted ego to feed. I bought my daughter a Glock 17 at her request and she is very good with it. My lovely bride requested a Glock 19 and she can hit things that amaze me. All this talk of a lady's class has made me want to put another one together as soon as possible. Bring some sparkling water and put mixed chocolate candy out in crystal bowls - they'll LOVE you for it!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Purse carry is for people to feel good about having a gun, not about actually using it. Even the "concealed carry" purses are usually nothing more than an expensive purse with a zippered slot for a pistol to roll around in.

IME the most comfortable, and most likely to be used, method for ladies is something like this..... https://www.cancanconcealment.com/collections/corset-holsters

They're comfortable enough to be worn all day and can be worn under anything.

Sorry, Blue but after seeing my wife use her purse, I can't agree at all.

The compartment for the gun on hers holds the gun in a horizontal position which easily presents the grip to the hand, can be carried, if needed, unzipped & easily accessible. If necessary, she can carry the purse with her hand already inside.

Kinda don't think a girdle is very practical or easily accessible, without significant mods to clothing & a significant cover garment, which for some women & some occasions, just doesn't work.

MM

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
"I generally don't recommend purse-carry. If a man attacks a woman, he's after one of two things…..one of those is her purse."
Il Ling New
Gunsite Instructor

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by saddlesore
My wife carries in a fanny pack designed for concealed carry.If she is some where that is not the best place to be like in a mall after dark shopping and walking to her truck ,her one hand is in the fanny pack gripping the revolve, the other hand has the car keys in it. Situational awareness is MORE important THAN how they carry their firearm

Fixed it for you! wink And I commend you for teaching your wife THE most important self defense tool at her disposal! I cannot stress situational awareness enough when teaching concealed carry classes to women or men.
And I usually recommend to the ladies I've taught over the last 20 something years that wearing a holster or a fanny pack is a much better option than purse carry. In my experience, ladies are easier to teach to shoot a handgun proficiently than a man, because the ladies are better at following directions and listening than their male counterparts. Probably because they don't have all the preconceived notions about shooting that men do. And that most ladies can handle a 9mm semiauto or a +P 38 special revolver just fine and can shoot and reload very well with patient and simple instructions.
I also find that if the ladies pick the handgun that fits them the best, instead of letting their husband pick it, actually end up liking it more and shooting it better because it fits their hands, not their husbands.

+1 to all of it and yes, situational awareness is the most important, for women AND men.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Female concealed carry? Is this a move towards newer more compact females? I'm in...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by johnw
Female concealed carry? Is this a move towards newer more compact females? I'm in...

Yeah! Key chain size. Nick-named pocket pals. Put 'em in your pocket and go!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To All,

Fwiw, my lady is TINY (60" tall, 90# & she wears a size 1 or 2 dress, depending on cut/style.). She also seldom wears slacks & almost NEVER shorts or pants of any sort.

Her choice, primarily because of how SMALL that her hands are, is a S&W J-frame revolver with the slimmest possible grips. - She will load it with Hornady Critical (NON-Plus P) Defense .38SPL ammo.

Darla is about to get her LTC (License to Carry) & is seeking an "on body holster" that can be concealed under her usual dress of blouse/skirt with tall boots or heels.
(I'm of the opinion that "purse carry" has 2 BIG/SERIOUS problems: IF the purse is "snatched", the lady has lost her handgun & WORSE has armed her attacker.)

Right now, Darla is seeking an "under-skirt" thigh holster AND a nice shoulder holster, for the days that she wears an outer blazer or jacket.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by wyowinchester

+1

….here's Undertech's website: https://www.undertechundercover.com/pages/about-us

Lenny McGill owns the Glockstore also…….my wife got the Undertech catalog the other day and it is a little like a Victoria's Secret catalog with guns (well not quite). They do have some unusual items which may or may not be appropriate for your wife.

I met McGill in about 82 at Chapman's….he was a skinny videographer doing some taping at the Academy for Ray. He had made some "Girls gone Wild" type vids of bikini-clad babes shooting full auto stuff and then an under-the-counter version of the same sans bikinis. He married a Barbiedoll looking model, got into body building and Glocks and now is a respectable business guy…….my dealings with the Glock Store have been positive..I think that dealing with his Undertech company would also be above board. If you go to the SHOT show he has a separate booth for each company so he's keeping them as separate entities.

Last edited by gmoats; 12/20/17.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please explain what type of garments would be worn over the tops that would allow any kind of reasonable access to the gun other than button up/zip up loose shirts? Nice idea, but I don't see a lot of real practicality for it for most women.

The waistband versions might be useful for some.

All in all, even with the pretty remote (for an alert person) of a purse snatching, it's still much more practical & accessible in most good purses designed for that purpose.

MM

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MontanaMan,

Purse-snatching is one of the most common crimes in the USA, so it's FAR from remote that a lady may have her purse stolen, regardless of how alert that a lady is.
(Over my LE career, I knew NUMEROUS ladies who "gave up" their purse to street thugs. - MANY of those ladies were either knocked to the ground, "out muscled" or threatened with a knife.)

My daughter has several thigh holsters for her little 9x18mm Makarov, to match various outfits.
(My daughter was "born" matched.).

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My best friend's mother was a police woman. Worked juvie. Other than qualifying, she seldom ever had to pull her gun, but she was required to carry. She was in a grocery store as it was robbed, and could not get her gun out of the bottom of her bag. After a lot of quick fumbling, she swung the entire purse with the lump of nearly useless iron in the bottom. Knocked the perp cold. However, she never lived that down at the department, until the day she died. It was even mentioned at the wake.

Another to avoid is the "Flash-Bang" holster. A woman new to it was making adjustments to it, and blew a hole through her breast. She's dead. I don't care for the idea of aiming a loaded gun at a body part, especially while holstering or drawing. It is fast, just not a good idea.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I am surpprised no one put this up, lots of options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GJlFEXOcw

charlee

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
charleeontop,

I'd guess that she's VERY well-armed. NOT "hard to look at", either.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all respondents! You have given us a lot to look at and think about!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 7 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.