Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Good day chaps.

I started stripping the finish off my old ZKK, it had a blond stock with a red/dark brown fore-end.
I thought it rather ugly and wanted to go with a darker stain and probably will use boiled linseed oil although I've never used BLO before.

Anyone have any suggestions on a stain colour?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Test the stains in the barrel channel until you find one you like...

Absolutely do not use BLO!!! It is garbage as far as gun stocks go and will likely not even cure for you. You are inviting failure and a bunch of extra work.

There are scads of great options for finishing stocks and BLO is nowhere close to making the list.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So what finish do you use if you detest BLO?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have used a bunch of different ones and posted many here over the years. My favorite is an epoxy base with a good oil finish on top selected according to the particular wood.

Quick and dirty is spar varnish for several base coats, then thinned with good oil for a bunch of coats. Apply it heavy, wait 10-15 minutes and wipe DRY.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BLO is the dregs of the oil production. It is treated with driers to make it cure and inhibitors to keep the shelf life up. That can and does create issues.

Good oil purchased at either an art store or a good paint store is far better.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
What did I tell you?

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JollyOldDiggerNick,

Using BLO is a TERRIBLE choice for refinishing stocks in my experience. - IF you have much more time/patience than money, RAW LINSEED OIL works WELL.
(Remember this little "ditty": BLO forms a thin skin; raw soaks right in.)

I've done any number of "blond" to "dark & handsome" changes to various stocks over the last 4 decades.

SO FAR, the BEST method (that I've yet found) is a through stripping/cleaning/steaming/re-sanding & refinishing with the color of MINWAX that you like. = You will discover nice GRAIN that you didn't even know that existed. - About 2 years ago, I traded for a really "Plain Jane" & "beat-up looking" Serbian "clone" of a KAR98 Mauser.
After a through cleaning, steaming out the dents, re-sanding & coating with MINWAX, the guy that I got it from came to visit, looked it over & exclaimed, "Where the H did you get that beautiful stock."
(I like RED CHERRY best to darken European "blond" stocks.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/16/17. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Chem-Pak Pro-Custom oil. Brownells sells it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Skip the hardware store oil based stains and go straight to aneline dyes. Much more UV resistant, won't muddy the wood, and to use a hackneyed expression it helps make the grain pop, and any bloody finish in the world can be applied atop them. You're welcome.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/16/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the heads up on BLO.
I’ve used truoil in the past but never really cared for the look I got using it.

A mate of mine suggested danish oil, anyone ever heard of it or used it?
I have about 70% of the old finish stripped off as hope to have it completely clean tonight.

Satx I love the red cherry look too! Incidentally bought some the other day

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Are you enjoying summer?
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had good luck with tung oil, but I have tons of patience and will take the time to lay on 15 or 20 hand rubbed coats.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1minute,

100% CORRECT. = Nonetheless, I don't have that much patience to properly do an oil finish.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
BLO is the dregs of the oil production. It is treated with driers to make it cure and inhibitors to keep the shelf life up. That can and does create issues.

Good oil purchased at either an art store or a good paint store is far better.

Art store. I never thought about that. What type of oil do you recommend if you don't mind me asking?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two primary finish oils are available, despite the claims they are absolutely equal in every regard as finish. Tung oil is not used for food because many are allergic to it. Therefore some of the finest oil is tung simply because it is available as high grade oil. Most of the best linseed oil is used as food. Manufacturers use them interchangeably. "Tung oil finishes" often have no tung oil in them at all. And that is no reason to be unhappy.

At art stores they have very high grade oil and even if it is identified it is no guarantee it is the named oil. Use Japan drier if using it straight. Modern JD is not heavy metals-based, so it is food-safe.

When doing quick and dirty spar varnish finishes with oil I start with a tiny can of fresh varnish and apply several coats. Apply heavy and at 10-15 minutes wipe dry. After several coats top off with the oil. Continue coating and thinning until satisfied.

If using straight oil I will still use several coats of spar varnish for the base.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
I've had good luck with tung oil, but I have tons of patience and will take the time to lay on 15 or 20 hand rubbed coats.

Back in the bad olde days fresh oil was hard to get and expensive. Hand rubbing was required to make it work. Apply heavy, wait a bit, and dry works better, faster, and far easier while also making a superior finish in every way. Anachronism is fine if you are doing it for your own enjoyment, but it is not the best way to apply finish.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by satx78247
JollyOldDiggerNick,

Using BLO is a TERRIBLE choice for refinishing stocks in my experience. - IF you have much more time/patience than money, RAW LINSEED OIL works WELL.
(Remember this little "ditty": BLO forms a thin skin; raw soaks right in.)

I've done any number of "blond" to "dark & handsome" changes to various stocks over the last 4 decades.

SO FAR, the BEST method (that I've yet found) is a through stripping/cleaning/steaming/re-sanding & refinishing with the color of MINWAX that you like. = You will discover nice GRAIN that you didn't even know that existed. - About 2 years ago, I traded for a really "Plain Jane" & "beat-up looking" Serbian "clone" of a KAR98 Mauser.
After a through cleaning, steaming out the dents, re-sanding & coating with MINWAX, the guy that I got it from came to visit, looked it over & exclaimed, "Where the H did you get that beautiful stock."
(I like RED CHERRY best to darken European "blond" stocks.)

yours, tex

Raw linseed oil will not cure without driers added.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JollyOldDiggerNick
I’ve used truoil in the past but never really cared for the look I got using it.

I have about 70% of the old finish stripped off as hope to have it completely clean tonight.

Various oil finishes will work reasonably well, but all oil-based finishes will absorb water vapor faster than bare wood. They are far from waterproof and most will turn white if wetted.

Danish oil is generally low in solids, high in solvents, extremely easy to apply, and very slow to build, with poor waterproof characteristics. It is a poor choice for a stock finish IMO&E.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JollyOldDiggerNick

TruOil is not a bad finish and with a proper rub-out with your choice of mild abrasive can produce an incredible eggshell luster that is mighty classy.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.