Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Doing a little recontouring and the blank I am working with has become magnetized? Wondering if this is common? Is this a problem? How do I de anytime it?

Thanks Chris

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
BP-B2

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's a well known phenomena caused by plastic deformation( machining) of iron alloys and I think it will be mostly confined to the chips. Forgetaboutit.

RAN

C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I really did not notice until I went to measure and my calipers were drawn to the blank. Will it go away after blueing ?

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cant answer your question directly but we used to magnetize/ demagnetize screwdrivers with a car battery and a length of wire. get a piece of 12 gauge coated wire and leave a tail as you start wrapping up the barrel like a barber pole. touch the tail end to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the negative terminal of the battery for a split second, just enough to make the spark. if it was magnetic it now wont be, if it wasn't it now will be.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
M70M Very interesting article, thanks. I am going to start checking my rifles to see if any are magnetized. I would think hammer forging could also magnetize the barrel.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm almost tempted to ask if it's April 1st.

I should think that the greatest risk to having a magnetized barrel would be how much it would effect the compass inletted into the stock.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
ctw Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Gary
Not April fools, definitely had no charge when I started and now it does. For sure it will effect the compass in the stock.

The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How much will it affect a nonferrous bullet?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ctw
Gary
Not April fools, definitely had no charge when I started and now it does. For sure it will effect the compass in the stock.

Not referring to your initial post, Chris.

I have noticed that phenomenon here in my college workshop/lab when machining/filing/otherwise altering steel objects. Many of our experiments generate innacurate responses that are caused by magnetic fields that aren't humanly noticeable but are there when subjected to delicate measuring instruments. In addition to that, I'm also charged (no pun intended) with maintaining various super magnets and powerful electromagnets used in various physics experiments. Just having those beasts in the same room can provoke unwelcome results sometimes.

I once had to make a new base/adjusting mechanism for a century old 50 pound magnet. No big deal, I constructed an elegant platform and sent it back upstairs. Then I noticed that all my files, mics, screwdrivers, chisels, etc. that were in proximity to the magnet on the bench were subsequently magnetized-- and my vintage Breitling Navitimer mechanical wristwatch was dead. I gerry-rigged a de-gaussing station and corrected everything (and spent an obscene amount of money to have the watch repaired).

Magnets can be your friend, or your enemy. I really don't buy into a magnetized barrel having any real-world effect on a bullet's performance though.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Pure technobabble! Vallon has conned a couple of barrel makers or maybe not if they are charging $50/barrel for the "service". What a joke!!!!. It is just more of the BS that reinforces the shooting hobbyist's ongoing quest for perfection that can be bought over the counter, no matter how silly it is.

RAN

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RAN

Yes like Cryo helps in machining but not much stress relief, but it does great things for knives. Several times I have been sharpening knives and thought they had a wire edge only to find those were metal bits standing on end on the edge of the blade. Maybe I should get the metal plates in my head degaussed?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 69 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.