Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Full3r Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Going through the safe getting rid of excess and decided I’m going to get a nice 22 for plinking and squirrel hunting. Is there any advantage of getting rid of my 10/22 and going to a different model. Always liked the looks of the browning autos and the old marlins. If a guy was only going to have one what would you do?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd keep the 10/22. Easy to work on, nothing isn't fixable, if it needs any attention at all. More stuff is available for it than any other rimfire rifle. My DSP ain't going anywhere, despite having a raft of nice .22s. Then again, my CZ 452 isn't going anywhere either.

If I were stuck with just one, it would probably be the CZ, because it's so danged nice, but I have seven pretty good .22s, and don't plan on getting rid of any of them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you like it, keep it. There's something to be said for being able to load up a couple of 25 round mags and blasting away.
I always wanted a 10/22, but bought an old long tube model 60 a few years ago instead. Not quite as versatile or upgradable, but it's alright.
I like the Browning also.

Some might want a precision bolt action, or just a bolt action trainer to mimic their big game rifle.

I like being able to shoot any kind of ammo, and still have relatively fast reload, if I could only have one. So for me, a tube fed S,L,LR in lever, pump, or auto(Speedmaster).

My "keeper", largely for sentimental reasons, but also because I think it's close to perfection as a classic lightweight and handy, easy to carry, walnut and steel small game/plinking/fun-to-use rifle, is a 39M with the straight "Texan" style stock and 20" lightweight barrel.

I still like an auto also, and think they make a better target rifle for shooting from a bench than a lever or a pump. So there's that added versatility on their side.

Last edited by DollarShort; 12/17/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Full3r
Going through the safe getting rid of excess and decided I’m going to get a nice 22 for plinking and squirrel hunting. Is there any advantage of getting rid of my 10/22 and going to a different model. Always liked the looks of the browning autos and the old marlins. If a guy was only going to have one what would you do?

Have a nervous breakdown. There is no way I could decide which .22 to keep and which to unload.

I did do that some years ago. A LH Kimber 82 was so accurate that it drove out every other .22 rifle I owned except a 1968 10/22 kept for sentimental reasons. But the sneaky little things kept creeping back and now number five in the house with a current bid on a sixth. One would "work" but they each do something a little differently or a little better than the others, or they handle differently, or whatever excuse seemed logical at the time of acquisition.

Life is short. Unless there some financial need to convert firearms to money, pamper yourself.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
F
Full3r Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Jim, I hear ya man. I keep telling myself if I purge and get down to one safe I can invest that money into some hunts. The deer hunting here is good but at most we can get 2 deer in gun season which lasts a week. Started doing more bird hunting this year and now miss the simpler times of rambling the woods looking for squirrels. My little guy will be 4 and wants to tag along. The small game way more exciting than deer for me. And he likes the shooting and eating part

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
If I could only have one .22 (shudder) it would be an annie 54. Sporter versions of same would work for your squirrel pursuits but it's a depressing notion.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Must have? Apparently, all of them; i keep buying the things.

We’ve far too many pack rats, as well as sqirrels, this symmer moles and ground sqirrels... damaging buildings and contents and equipment. Have vowed to have a .22 in every outbuilding for the purpose, so when find a serviceable of no great value, am easily tempted. Eye on an old marlin m60 with older bushnell at the local booze and gun store. I enjoy tearing stuff down, ironing out the little problems, and putting them back to work.

Recently got my first ruger .22’s, a 22/10 targert and an American target (sale!) to hang inside the garage and shop doorways.

Not sure what the future must haves will be, but have impulse bought a mauser 340es and a marlin 1892, if that tells you anything. Last month, a ruger flatgat single six. Month before that, a colt frontier 9”.... I dunno, they’re just cute?

Will echo that the cz 452 is a staple must-have.

Last edited by sandcritter; 12/17/17.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Must have, ....... at least one nice bolt action, one nice semi auto and one nice lever action.
In my safe I have a M77/22 in stainless and walnut, a 10/22 with nice walnut stock and green mountain sporter barrel and a Marlin 39M Mounty. Plus some other rimfires for the boys to use.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
My CZ 452 is my favorite, followed my a couple 39's, and old Remington 's!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I should amend my list to add a nice pump 22 as well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My go to .22 is an old Winchester M61 that is being fitted with a new 3-9x33 AO Leupold right now. I have a 10/22 Sporter from '68, but it is probably nostalgia that brings me back to that M61 because as a kid growing up I had a M62A top ejector that I thought was near perfect for a rambling around rifle if it would only be a side ejector with a top mounted scope. The 10/22 Sporter is okay, but it just doesn't balance or have all those solid steel fitted parts like that old Winchester. .22's are dirty little cartridges and they fill up a semi-auto's action with a lot of carbon. A manual action doesn't have that issue.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I decided to not get rid of guns anymore. Had too many that I wish I still had. ESPECIALLY 22's! Just bought one of my must have 22's. Cz455FS. Hope it shoots as good as it looks!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still need a good 22 WMR and although not rim fire, a Hornet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
My CZ 452 is my favorite, followed my a couple 39's, and old Remington 's!!

I only have two 22LR long guns.....CZ 452 American and a M39.
As much as it pains me to say this if I could only have one it would be the CZ.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I could only have one .22 rifle, it would be a Winchester 52 Sporter.

If I could only have two .22 rifles, I would add a 10/22 with an upgraded barrel, stock, and trigger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
belgium browning t bolt

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
BL 22 s l lr can shoot anything and if there is a dud lever it out and keep goin

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you plan to have "only one," then you'd have to decide what you want to use it for the most.

It's always nice to have a plinking semi like your Ruger, and then an accurate bolt for training. I don't care about levers so that's not needed, unless they're your thing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Full3r

I've done it 3 times already. The formula starts with a 10/22 action, Jard 1 lb trigger, Volquartsen sharp extractor and recoil buffer, either Magnum Research (done 2) or Volquartsen (done 1) fiber wrapped .920 barrel, hogue stock, Talley B&R, and .. I'd probably change scopes. I've used Leupold RF specials in 4x and 2-7X in the past, but I think I'd do the 3-9 AO RF special with vertical CDS and horizontal wind-plex crosshair. Generally this setup produces half inch 5 shot 50 yard groups with HV hunting hollowpoint ammo, either CCI mini-mag HPs, WW power points, or bulk Federal in my guns. Also do well with subsonics.

The only other .22 that really interests me is a Winchester model 75 heavy target gun.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Impossible to have only one I'd say. I have a stinking blast shooting my 39A tho. That thing is a hoot! Kinda like my Marlin 25N. Damn good shooter too. .22's are the cat's ass.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,764
Posts18,401,436
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.