Print Thread
Hop To
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I will say that I have never owned a Ruger #1 Varmint...I have only owned two of those Standard B rifles.
This Ruger is in 223Rem which is fine with me and comes with a older Vari III 6.5-20 scope.
I have no need for the scope but hey its there and with AO I probably cold play around with it.
The stock really something to write home about...has a couple of nicks on the bottom of the stock neat the butt place. Crown looks pretty good. It has the red pad.
This seem a little heavy to me than the bolt rifles. I like Ruger #1 but never had the varmint version.
How do these varmint contours shoot?? What would the price be with this set up? LGS has it for a shade less than $1100...
I am a lefty so this rifle could double with someone who is a righty shooting with me....

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have heard they shoot ok.
The three I owned, a 223,and two 22 ppc never were sub 1” guns despite a small fortune in after market triggers, and various forend alterations that were supposed to make them shoot well.
I also had one one standard weight barrel and had the same results.
I have Sako, and Remington bolt guns in the same chamberings, 223 and 22ppc. They shoot extremely well. The number 1 is a great looking rifle, but if accuracy is the goal, I’d pass on them.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd pay that for one of the SS fast twist models, even without the scope, but unless the wood is really stellar, I'd shop a bit.

All of them are heavy; comes with the territory. My 1V .243 is an anvil, but I like it. Seems like it's going to be a shooter, but I've got to make allowances for the loooong throat. I bought a big box of 70gr BTs and can't get near the rifling.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
I have heard they shoot ok.
The three I owned, a 223,and two 22 ppc never were sub 1” guns despite a small fortune in after market triggers, and various forend alterations that were supposed to make them shoot well.
I also had one one standard weight barrel and had the same results.
I have Sako, and Remington bolt guns in the same chamberings, 223 and 22ppc. They shoot extremely well. The number 1 is a great looking rifle, but if accuracy is the goal, I’d pass on them.

Agree, after a hicks device, bedding the forearm in all the supposed spots, trigger work and good glass my 1V stainless laminate in 22.250 never did get any better than a 1” grouper with an occasional 3/4” in there. Wouldn’t pass on another because it does work on yotes, but if I want a tight group shooter, I would look elsewhere

Swifty
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
That is what I do not understand about Ruger. Why are they so proud that they tack on their #1 a thousand dollar tag new.
I kinda figure this rifle would more likely shoot okay...and that "okay" is not acceptable for me when paying upwards $1k for the rifle.
Regardless...looks interesting to me but if I have to pour in $$ to get it to shoot...guess I will have to pass on it.
I saw this rifle again today and checking the wood stock line next to the barrel I can tell someone sanded the barrel channel...so obviously someone has tried to get it to shoot.
Of course...all of us shooters want a rifle that shoots less than MOA...I am no different.
Too bad Ruger cannot make this better especially with a 2 piece stock.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, I'll admit I am a bit of a Ruger #1 loony, so take that into consideration. I like the rifles, foibles and all.

First, yes the .223 varminter is heavy. Mine needs wheels. Probably the seller is justifying the rather high price because of the scope. I dunno. It could also be now that #1's are only made in limited edition that run in $1,100+ range he feels that's what he should get. Again, I dunno.

My .223 varminter shoots in the .50" range on average, sometimes a bit smaller. A couple of #1B's in .22 Hornet, .257 BOB and 25-06 all shoot sub MOA. The only larger bore #1's that shoots sub-MOA are a #1B and #1S in .300 Win. Mag. All the rest i have not so well. frown I keep tinkering with them. Keeps me out of the bars at night. whistle

In one aspect, buying a red pad #1 is a bit of a crap shoot. Most shoot OK and can even be made to shoot better. Black pad guns are supposed to have barrels made by Ruger except for some of the very early ones.

Probably pizz off the seller but I don't think I'd go much more than $800 but that's a decision you'll have to make. Wave the Benjamins in his face. Sure does make a seller change their mind. Good luck whichever way you go.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a new red pad #1V .223 about thirty years ago. Quite an accurate rifle as I recall, but, like other some other #1s I've had, would not hold a zero for long. Stock work might have corrected the problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old standard 223 #1 was made in 1988, I bought used at a gunstore for $400 +$43 tax in 2002
My old #1 223 was a 1" gun, even with the aftermarket set trigger and 32X scope.
I killed thousands of rodents with it.

In April 2007 I had lost my 1988 Ruger #1 223 standard. Stolen or left behind, I dunno.

Emotionally on the rebound, In May 2007 I bought a 1999 Ruger #1 V 223 off gunbroker or something for $500 + $43 shipping and FFL.
I cleaned huge amounts of Copper out of the bore.
I took it to the range, and the first target had a couple of 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It is still a 1/2" gun.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by valad
That is what I do not understand about Ruger. Why are they so proud that they tack on their #1 a thousand dollar tag new.
I kinda figure this rifle would more likely shoot okay...and that "okay" is not acceptable for me when paying upwards $1k for the rifle.
Regardless...looks interesting to me but if I have to pour in $$ to get it to shoot...guess I will have to pass on it.
I saw this rifle again today and checking the wood stock line next to the barrel I can tell someone sanded the barrel channel...so obviously someone has tried to get it to shoot.
Of course...all of us shooters want a rifle that shoots less than MOA...I am no different.
Too bad Ruger cannot make this better especially with a 2 piece stock.

People like falling blocks for reasons other than raw accuracy, although many of them shoot very well indeed. For me, the standard is that it must be able to do what I bought it for. If punching tiny groups off the bench is your intention, then your money would probably be better gambled on some sort of bolt rifle.

BTW, the current retail on Number 1s is somewhere North of $1800. I got mine for a bit more than half that through the tender mercies of shortactionsmoker here on the 'Fire. Most such bargains have gone, and I'd have a tough time ponying up $1800 for any Number 1, although I've seen a couple of Brownings that might tempt me on the right day.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by lotech
I bought a new red pad #1V .223 about thirty years ago. Quite an accurate rifle as I recall, but, like other some other #1s I've had, would not hold a zero for long. Stock work might have corrected the problem.

Take a look at the wood not exposed to sight. No sealing whatsoever. It's not just on the #1's but on the M77's as well. Take my word on this; don't ever get caught is a very heavy rainstorm with a #1. I'd include the 77 was well. I did on an elk hunt in Oregon. Rained like hell and the wind so bad it damn near ripped the rain coat off me. The #1 was a "B" model in .300 Win. Mag. and is a very accurate rifle. Couple of days later we were back in Nevada where one of my hunting partners runs a game bird hunting ranch. He raises pheasants. He set us up for a hunt and during the hunt we saw a coyote running off with a bird. The only rifle in the truck was my .300 and I missed 4 times. No one ever saw where any of the bullets struck. About a week later when back home in Arizona, I took the rifle to the range and the bullets were just hitting the top off the berm. There was not enough adjustment in the scope to even bring it to point of aim. The rifle was shooting 6 feet high. The edges of the forearm and stock where they abutted the receiver were sticking out more than 1/8 inch. I stored that rifle out in my shed and took it out every once in a while to see where it was hitting. Took over 6 years to where it was back to normal. At least, now I know why I missed that coyote. I just wonder where in hell those bullets ended up?
I'm thinking that's probably the why and wherefore of your wandering zero.Stock work may help but I believe sealing all the unsealed wood will make a difference.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,866
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.