-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Working with 124 grain coated cast and Unique, gun functions correctly, no jams, ejects fine, etc. Tried 50 rounds loaded with Bullseye with a 124gr. FMJ, ranging from 3.6 up to 4.1 grains, some but not many ejected correctly, many jams, stovepipes, etc. Factory 115gr and 124gr function correctly.

Gun is original configuration, Belgian made FN, about 1980 vintage, I am the original owner so I know nothing has been modified.

I'm thinking that this is probably pressure curve related? I may still be too low on charge weights, too.

I stopped at 4.1 as data on hand shows a very wide range, some maxing in the low 4 grain area, some in the high 4 grain range and not having worked with BE in the 9 before, I wanted to exercise a bit of caution in working up. I think 4.9 is shown in the Hercules data from the booklet printed about the time I got this powder, probably early to mid 90's.

I know that Bullseye is not the optimum powder, but I have some small amounts of BE and also of Herco that I'd like to use up shooting these 124 FMJ. These would be for plinking use on the range.

Any input would be appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This might sheds some light on loads and bullet profiles for the Hi-Power. Read first then work up some loads.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9mm_hi_power_ammo_selection.htm

These people could help also.

https://bhspringsolutions.com/

Spend some time on both web sites and you will know infinitely more about your Hi-Power.

You might have a "humped Barrel".

Additionally Try Mec-Gar Magazines. How are your springs in the Browning Mags?

The HI power does not operate using a barrel link. The powders that are a little bit slower than bullseye may work better. Look at a powder burn rate chart. Anything from Unique to CFE Pistol range. I like AA#5.

Stay away from hot loads in that early (relative) Hi-Power.

BE-86 is a good powder. Slower than Bullseye. Bullseye is BE-84

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am not an expert but I do have a HP. Compared to my 1911 and SIG P220 45s the slide takes more strength to work the slide on the HP. IMO you're onto something with the pressure curve. HPs are not meant for +P ammo (some say the ones made when they were also chambered for the 40 S&W are ok). The 9mm is a high pressure cartridge compared to most pre- +P rounds and the newer semi-auto cartridges.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I haven't verified - but are you using cast loads? Cast will alter your pressures considerably.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mark, the 124 grain cast is shooting with no problems, using Unique powder. The Bullseye experiment is using FMJ, 124 grain and did not go well at all.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sounds like you may have a cartridge overall length (COL) issue.Get an inexpensive set of calipers and check the COL.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or perhaps you simply aren't generating enough recoil to function the action properly (often the case with very fast powders). Bullseye may not be your huckleberry. 😝

Looks !ike Alliant lists 4.4 gr for a 124 Gold Dot, you might carefully increase your charge.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shoot4fun
Working with 124 grain coated cast and Unique, gun functions correctly, no jams, ejects fine, etc. Tried 50 rounds loaded with Bullseye with a 124gr. FMJ, ranging from 3.6 up to 4.1 grains, some but not many ejected correctly, many jams, stovepipes, etc. Factory 115gr and 124gr function correctly.

Gun is original configuration, Belgian made FN, about 1980 vintage, I am the original owner so I know nothing has been modified.

I'm thinking that this is probably pressure curve related? I may still be too low on charge weights, too.

I stopped at 4.1 as data on hand shows a very wide range, some maxing in the low 4 grain area, some in the high 4 grain range and not having worked with BE in the 9 before, I wanted to exercise a bit of caution in working up. I think 4.9 is shown in the Hercules data from the booklet printed about the time I got this powder, probably early to mid 90's.

I know that Bullseye is not the optimum powder, but I have some small amounts of BE and also of Herco that I'd like to use up shooting these 124 FMJ. These would be for plinking use on the range.

Any input would be appreciated.

Buy a cheap set of dial calipers; they will pay for themselves quickly. Find a factory round that works well, and measure cartridge overall length, and the diameter of the loaded round at the case mouth; this is how to gauge your taper crimp. Most auto pistol cartridge loading issues comes down to OAL and your taper crimp. I think that would be the best start. Once you have that nailed down, then you can start playing with your powder charge.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Magazines are next to new Browning , not the originals that came with it. Also have the calipers as I load for quite a number of cartridges. Dummy rounds loaded while determining a COL strip from and feed into the chamber properly. I also did the plunk test in to the barrel to check fit that way. With the empties not clearing the port, it leads me to think not enough energy yet at the 4.1 charge. I'd have to double check the book but I think the Hercules manual, perhaps 1992, is listing up to 4.9 as a maximum charge with a 124 FMJ. I'm not loading anything unless I can find data in the books or at the proper loading guide from the powder maker.

I do have some BE86 and have loaded up a series of test rounds and will try them at some point on a decent day. If the change in powder makes the difference, I'll save the Bulleye for another time. Thank you for the observations.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The BE86 should work with the stock 17# recoil spring and stock 32# main spring with listed loads everything else being correct. Go online and back down 10% for the start load.The linkless system in the BHP likes slower powders like I said before. Did you check, does your gun have a humped barrel feed ramp? Won't effect failure to eject, but just curious. May not like some bullet profiles and OAL numbers. Is your extractor spring in good shape? Should feel very-very strong. Ejector look good? Gun clean (all spring recesses)? The BHP is not as forgiving as the 1911. It needs to be in balance with good springs. Type of lubricant in cold weather?

Note: Your gun is regulated for 115gr bullets @ 50yards with factory fixed sights. 124gr bullets are okay, but 147gr will change things a bit. To do it right, use a chronograph and try to match Winchester white box velocities (but not with Bullseye powder). Ejected cases should fall at least 4' away while standing. If you do not have a chronograph, compare ejection distances with the factory rounds.
Try a two hand hold and then just a strong hand hold to verify the load. No limp wristing.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I checked and I do have the "humped" feed ramp on my barrel. Date of manufacture is 1982. I haven't had a chance to try the BE86 loads yet.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by shoot4fun
I checked and I do have the "humped" feed ramp on my barrel. Date of manufacture is 1982. I haven't had a chance to try the BE86 loads yet.

Don't fret with the hump. Modern hollow points have better ogives than the older ones. The Mec-Gar magazines have a little better feed angle if you have any problems. They are not expensive like the Browning ones. But that is not your problem right now. BE- 86 is the same formulation as Bullseye but slower. That should work for you. I like the stuff. It is like a much improved Power Pistol. Meters well, flash suppressants and with that formulation, it is not positional sensitive. Lights up with the weakest primers. Of coarse there are other good powders also. Good luck!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
50 rounds of BE 86 from 3.4 grains up to 3.7 grains in 1/10th increments ran flawlessly. Empties from 4-8' away, no failures to feed or eject. Much better than the Bullseye. I'll have to adjust the rear sight to get them more on target but that's a minor issue.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Great news. Perfect.

Now if you want to try other powders, use the burn rate chart and stay close to BE86.

Or just keep using BE86.

Settle on your best recipe first and then mess with the sights. Most will shoot high at shorter distances than 50 meters.

Windage? Try both hands and single hand. Trigger pull using first pad of trigger finger. Experiment a bit with your best grip before drifting the sight.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
When I ordered the gun, I ordered the adjustable rear sight so that should be straight forward. Things cleaned up easily after shooting, too. Seems like a good choice of powder, that and Unique.
Thanks for the help.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Your welcome, glad I could help.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gibby
Your welcome, glad I could help.

I can not edit.

I meant to say, I'm am glad WE ALL could help.

Fixed!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 49 invisible), 3,318 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.