Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I knew fellows who died on tricycle tractors - Dad wouldn't have one (mostly because teaching young boys to operate was safer with wide fronts)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, but turn the wheel, stomp on the inside brake, and a narrow front tractor is zero turn.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Many hours here in the seat of 2 different size Farmalls ( F and M?). And then there was the old fly-wheel green machine JD. I loved driving that thing!

Last edited by las; 12/16/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Yeah, but turn the wheel, stomp on the inside brake, and a narrow front tractor is zero turn.

And if you happen to be in reverse, you can back one rear wheel up over the wagon tongue to which you are attached. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I used to be able to back into position the second haywagon of a tandom job behind the Farmall. (That ain't easy!)

Now, I look for a space downtown where I don't have to parallel park....

So, OK - I did it today going to the Apple store on 5th in Anchorage, and the rear wheel was only half up on the curb. But I got it on the first try! smile

Last edited by las; 12/16/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

And if you happen to be in reverse, you can back one rear wheel up over the wagon tongue to which you are attached. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

Ok, dammit. Since you went there.
Mine was a hay rake going forward.
Lucky I figured it out, just before it took me off the tractor.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Spike
Originally Posted by KFWA
farmers call that configuration the wrist breaker. maybe that was for models that didn't have power steering.

I had an M for many years that I significantly injured my left wrist on when my front wheels hit a hole. That steering wheel spun so quickly it caught my thumb and snapped the wrist sideways. That was after first breaking both bones just above the wrist running hurtles (or should I say tripping over hurtles) in HS. Pounding it really friggin hard with a 3 lb sledge last year didn't help either......

yep, I think every farmer had heard of someone injured when those front wheels went into a rut, if it didn't happen to them personally

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Spike
farmers call that configuration the wrist breaker. maybe that was for models that didn't have power steering.

I had an M for many years that I significantly injured my left wrist on when my front wheels hit a hole. That steering wheel spun so quickly it caught my thumb and snapped the wrist sideways. That was after first breaking both bones just above the wrist running hurtles (or should I say tripping over hurtles) in HS. Pounding it really friggin hard with a 3 lb sledge last year didn't help either......

yep, I think every farmer had heard of someone injured when those front wheels went into a rut, if it didn't happen to them personally

I had my thumb dislocated when my front wheel, on an old Ford tractor with no power steering, hit a tree and spun the steering wheel while brushhogging. I was able to give it a good jerk and get it back in but it sure did hurt for awhile.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The narrow front ends had some real risks. They were also easier to roll on a side hill. We have 2 IH Super M's with the TA in our barn. Both are 1954's. (the only year they were made with the TA) We used one of them 3 weeks ago to drag off some trees we cut down to make room for a new fence. It's tough to have even a small place without a good tractor.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A family friend’s dad had an M with the tricycle front end. Story goes that when he was about 8 his dad put him on the M pulling a chisel and told him to plow for a while, he needed to run the 3 miles to town and would be back shortly. Not long after he left the little fella plowed across a terrace burying the chisel up to the beam. But instead of spinning or stalling the old M started to stand straight up into a wheelie. Panicking he fed her more gas which only made the rate of climb increase and it wasn’t until it was standing on about a 45 degree angle that the thought occurred to him to get on the clutch. He said he just knew that it had punched that front axle all the way through the hood when it came down it hit so hard.

He somehow managed to get it out of the terrace and back heading the right direction before his old man came back and didn’t mention it until he was an adult.

Old fellow that is my parents’ neighbor has an old M that he more than likely bought new. He’s in his 90s and farmed forever. I was stuck on one of his places once when I was hunting and he brought it down to pull me out. I rode the drawbar from his barn down to where I was stuck about a half a mile away. We hooked it up with a 100’ log chain doubled over and he never even idled it up, just eased the clutch out and drug me right out of the mud hole.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The wide front doesn't provide any stability on a hill. It pivots. The stability comes from the back wheels. And was my old man the only one who kept after his kid to keep his thumbs outside the wheel?

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.