Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What's a good pulaski axe to keep an eye out for?

Preferably, what name brands are good ones to have in the older stuff?

I have a Collins that I picked up about 20 years ago. No idea if a older Collins is a good one or not.

Whatever I might find, I do plan on using it.

Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll through a little triva out there on the subject of the pulaski. It was invented by a minor named Ed Pulaski who mined just south of Wallace Id. He later became a Forest Ranger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Pulaski

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like Council makes one Lonny.

I don't know any thing about their Pulaski's but I sure like that Boys axe I picked up last year.

If nothing else.....you'll be getting something made in the USA.

http://counciltool.com/shop/municipal-firefighting-tools/3-75-pulaski-axe-fss-version/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sort of a multi-tool that's really not all that great at any specific job. I'd rather use implements (axe, shovel, pick) designed to do a particular job.

Then again, I have carried a Leatherman on my belt for the last 30 years or so.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/17/17.

1Minute
Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BluMtn,

I watched a PBS show on Ed Pulaski and the big fires in the early part of the 20th century. Very informative.

Charlie.

Thanks for the link! Yeah, I do want a USA made tool.

If I could, i'd like to just find the head to save some money and then have the people form House Handle fix me up with a new handle.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah, the council tools are good.

If you are tall and want to dig fire line......get a long handled Pro Hoe, from Rogue Hoe.

A Pulaski is fine if you are a ways under 6 feet.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was invented by a minor named Ed Pulaski who mined just south of Wallace Id.

Was He a young miner? grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the catch miles. I hate it when I don't use the correct words, but they slip by every know and then. We ride the Wallace area alot and have been to the site of Pulaski's mine and been on top of Mt. Pulaski.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BluMtn
I'll through a little triva out there on the subject of the pulaski. It was invented by a minor named Ed Pulaski who mined just south of Wallace Id. He later became a Forest Ranger.

It's interesting reading up on that fire. It was an unusually dry summer. Several fires across WA, ID, & MT were burning. Then a severe windstorm blew several fires together and all hell broke loose. It was so big and fast moving that it was impossible to fight. They could only run. They say the smoke could be seen from western NY state and from Denver. It burned 4700 square MILES and killed 87 people. 28 of them were a fire crew that got trapped and they all died.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've seen them by Council and Barco.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally I would look for the older American axes. True Temper, Barco, Collins, Dixie Industries.

The heads are worth their weight in gold and handles are dime a dozen.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
\
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

It's interesting reading up on that fire. It was an unusually dry summer. Several fires across WA, ID, & MT were burning. Then a severe windstorm blew several fires together and all hell broke loose. It was so big and fast moving that it was impossible to fight. They could only run. They say the smoke could be seen from western NY state and from Denver. It burned 4700 square MILES and killed 87 people. 28 of them were a fire crew that got trapped and they all died.

That fire or another gave St. Joe Forest's Cemetery Ridge it's name. I think it was that 26 crew. Sure do like that country. Spent 2 summers on trail crew there, much of it on several trails leading up to CR, and have a passing familiarity with the pulaski.. wink

Have one in the storage shed right now. Very handy tool when mucking in the dirt and roots. Hate to use a good axe to chop an underground root, but then, that is what a pulaski is designed for, NOT chopping trees or splitting firewood!

Last edited by las; 12/18/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Read "The Big Burn" by Timothy Egan. Story built around Pulaski and his role in the 1910 Fire that spread from Eastern WA through Western MT.

Lonny Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krupp
Personally I would look for the older American axes. True Temper, Barco, Collins, Dixie Industries.

Thanks for throwing some names out. I'll be a'looking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yardsales are your friends, for those old tools. of course you might end up with extra dutch oven and cast iron skillet too!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Or, you could work for BLM/FS for a fire season.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
Or, you could work for BLM/FS for a fire season.... smile

Signing bonus?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like a Pulaski but the last one I received at a potlatch left a lot to be desired, cheap metal folded like a house of cards

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
\
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

That fire or another gave St. Joe Forest's Cemetery Ridge it's name. I think it was that 26 crew. Sure do like that country. Spent 2 summers on trail crew there, much of it on several trails leading up to CR, and have a passing familiarity with the pulaski.. wink

Have one in the storage shed right now. Very handy tool when mucking in the dirt and roots. Hate to use a good axe to chop an underground root, but then, that is what a pulaski is designed for, NOT chopping trees or splitting firewood!
When I said that there were 'several' fires burning across 3 states, I was way off. Seems that there were between 1000 and 3000 smaller fires all burning at once. It was a hellacious fire year. Then that storm with hurricane force winds blew a bunch of them together. All that dry fuel combined with the wind turned 3 states into an inferno.
The Big Blowup only lasted a few days before it burned all the available fuel but I don't know how long it took to be completely out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by krupp

I didn't realize so many makers made Pulaskis.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.