Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What brand doesn't have failures?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
So out of 5 Ram's you have had one tranny failure. I guess if a 20% failure rate is good...

Yep, and a freak occurrence at that. So what? I’m not going to knock the product when I have probably a combined 700-800k miles on these trucks, and have never had to put one of them on a flatbed due to breakdown. When I look at the GM and Ford forums, I feel pretty damn good about my choices. I use my trucks as trucks, tow up to 12k with them quite frequently. My 2014 has a separate odometer for trailer tow miles, and the truck has 98k miles on it now, 27k of those miles are with a trailer behind it. I’m not confident that any of the other manufacturer’s products would have given me any better service than the Rams have. What say you?

Last edited by badger; 03/11/18.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Word.
I could go on about the 5 Chevy 1 ton transmissions we have lost at work, which led to the purging of GM from our business.......

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm glad you are happy with your trucks. They do all break and some break in their own special ways. Truck brands are almost as bad as politics sometimes. I have two Chevy HD's right now, so plenty of mud could be slung my way. I don't think a 20% failure rate is particularly good, but you do seem to have a lot of miles on them, and are happy with them can't argue with that. Heck, the TACO guys seem happy even if their frame rusts completely through!

I think Ram's have a spotty rep for transmissions but then again, I have never owned one. The two in my immediate family both required new transmissions, one under 50k. That is what I base my very limited experience on.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My new 2002 chevy silverado 1500 was worst money pit I ever purchased.Sold it at 32,000 miles used 1 quart of oil every 1,800-2,000 miles.Chevy told me normal.My 2004 dodge 2500 with cummins diesel ran flawless until sold at 88,000 miles.My 2006 ford f-150 is just ok,had better trucks.My 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi has only 25,000 miles on the OD but flawless so far.All brands have there TURDS..

Last edited by coobie; 03/11/18.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, my frame rusted through,............................
I wouldn't own anything but a 'yota..............

I get sick of this crap, Toyota and Ford guys seem the worst.

Not all, just the fanboys.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm glad you are happy with your trucks. They do all break and some break in their own special ways. Truck brands are almost as bad as politics sometimes. I have two Chevy HD's right now, so plenty of mud could be slung my way. I don't think a 20% failure rate is particularly good, but you do seem to have a lot of miles on them, and are happy with them can't argue with that. Heck, the TACO guys seem happy even if their frame rusts completely through!

I think Ram's have a spotty rep for transmissions but then again, I have never owned one. The two in my immediate family both required new transmissions, one under 50k. That is what I base my very limited experience on.

On this forum alone, it's evident that Dodge and Ram don't have a monopoly on transmission issues. Here's a pretty recent link that bears this out, one in which you participated.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12541416/1

It's also plain to see that you have a chubby for Ram products anyhow, not sure why, and not causing me any loss of sleep, but it does explain some of the comments.

Your quote from one of the other threads on fuel economy:

"You want to hear fantastic, phenomenal, of of this world stories about mileage? Just ask any Ram owner with a Cummins. They will make some of the guys on this thread look like pikers. They must take them all in the back and offer to pay them every time they tell a MPG story. They won't stop telling you how good they get."

Not a call out thread, just an observation.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I agree. Nothing is perfect out there.

We have a 2001 3500 Dodge 5.9CTD/48RE and with only 78k miles on it, its on the 3rd transmission. One warranty and one on our dime. Its cursed.
Rebuilt a many GM 4L60E transmissions also. I don't see any reason to use them in a 1/2 Ton truck that is going to be towing. The large gear splits and weak internals are its problem.
But at least for GM a transmission swap to a better unit is easy. The 4L80E fits in the same space as the 4L60E and is a whole different animal and tuning for it is even easier.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Kaleb

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You shouldn't let some random internet strangers option of the brand of truck you drive cause you to worry. Like I said, I have some of the dreaded Government Motors trucks, so that means I am probably like the main character in the old Charlie Daniels song "Easy Rider". Carry on, and rest assured, I would sure rather drive a Ram than a Ford!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have owned fords. E4OD enough said. The 2004.5-2007 48re in my truck was killed by the bad "Transmission throttle valve actuator" In other words the electronic shifter was shifting in and out of gear under load and smoked the bands and torque converter. This was a Mercedes Improvement, Is my understanding. I drive it hard and it gets a lot of washboard gravel miles. My best guess is this washboard is what killed the TTVA. I was told by the shop which builds these transmissions by the hundreds a year. It was not a part they ever replace. One a few years ago. Was the story I got. Got a check in the mail this week from the shop. Rebate on TTVA mark up. 3 techs now know how to diagnose a failing TTVA so somebody learned from my suffering.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I think Ram's have a spotty rep for transmissions but then again, I have never owned one.

And there you have it!

That said, I used to say the same about dodge/ram trans based on not actually owning them. Now I own one. It's the best truck I've ever had. Not even close. Including a Tundra and a Tacoma, a pile of Fords, and one Chevy. Trust me, one Chevy was waaaay more than enough.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an 06 2600 but with the 6spd manual. I have bought and sold quite a few 3rd gen 5.9L over the past years. I do it on the side as there is a good market for clean low mile 5.9's and I live in that rust free dodge country so they are around. As a result I have looked at a thousand of them in ads and in person. The 48re and 48r are pretty much the same tranny according to my trans shop friend. I have seen plenty of 48's with 200+k miles of towing and 100% stock. Those chrysler trannys statistically dont have any worse a failure rate than the other 2. But the dodges have the highest towing use as they had the best diesel engine so they got the most use and esp when ford gave up on the 7.3l.
The bottom line is that auto trannys need close attention to maintenance and more frequent fluid changes when towed and esp if run HOT. Once that oil gets too hot it will wear out the trans real fast. On the 100k mile trucks I buy I find lots of oil change and alignment receipts in the glove box but few if any trans service receipts. Seems like most people have a tendency to keep the more expensive receipts but I dont find them.

If I can fault Dodge its because they dont stress the fuild changes on the auto at shorter intervals when towing or one just one overheat incident. The same with my g56 6 speed. It needs one more quart than recommended to last for eternity.

The aftermarket boys jump on the 48 'issue' to make you think that once you have fried your 48 you should spend 2x as much to rebuild to beef it up so it doesnt happen again.

Of course every now and then one can have a faulty control part fry your trans but that can happen with any make.

Bottom line maintenance is cheap! Also how many people do a proper coolant and brake fluid flush every 50k or so!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by badger
So out of 5 Ram's you have had one tranny failure. I guess if a 20% failure rate is good...

Yep, and a freak occurrence at that. So what? I’m not going to knock the product when I have probably a combined 700-800k miles on these trucks, and have never had to put one of them on a flatbed due to breakdown. When I look at the GM and Ford forums, I feel pretty damn good about my choices. I use my trucks as trucks, tow up to 12k with them quite frequently. My 2014 has a separate odometer for trailer tow miles, and the truck has 98k miles on it now, 27k of those miles are with a trailer behind it. I’m not confident that any of the other manufacturer’s products would have given me any better service than the Rams have. What say you?

Dodges auto transmissions being junk is no secret.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BWalker

Neither is your bias, and ignorance, apparently.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Thats ok. He drives a ricer so what would he know!.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BWalker

Owned three dodge diesels and worked in the auto industry in a R&D capacity. I have no brand loyalty and I run what works. Its not dodges of the vintage in question.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Tesoro

Thats ok. He drives a ricer so what would he know!.

What constitutes a reliable vehicle, LOL.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Damn Dodge auto tranny’s. Good luck

Damn right, in factory form they suck, especially behind a Cummins, I called Firepunk Diesel and had em send me one of their rebuilds complete with billet shaft and triple disc convertor good for 550 HP, all damn good so far for over two years.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The reason why my transmission has the single disc billet torque converter. The triple disc takes more fluid volume/pressure to operate which causes more heating to the fluid. According to a couple techs I talked to. It is the same size outside but they cram 3 discs in it. More parts to break. Made sense to me.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.