Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HE112
I have been looking at a possible purchase of a Taurus PT111 G2 Mellenium pistol, the price looks especially good too. I already have a Glock 19 but wanted a second 9 mm pistol that would be easier to carry.

When I checked the recent reports on the warranty issues with Taurus it is often very negative and the guns stay at the warranty station for over a year, and the calls and e-mails are ignored. Taurus developed a bad reputation back in the 1990's when I owned 4 of their handguns and I expedited my removal of them from my collection while I still could sell them.

I had 3 of their revolvers, and all of them had some minor timing issues, but shot well, never jammed and were accurate. The steel was soft though. My Taurus Beretta 92 clone was not all that accurate and the frame seemed to be wearing faster than it should have been, soft aluminum? Probably should have kept one as a truck/house gun as they were pretty cheap to buy and I never had to send any of them back for warranty work.

With their ongoing bad customer service reputation I cannot understand why they are still in business? Is it because many Americans are short-term thinkers and believe that cheap is good over more expensive but better products? Or is it that most Taurus guns do work and enough satisfied customers are around to do repeat buying?

Anyone have experience with Taurus both as a customer and in the business (gun seller) to know on the truth of the warranty issues?

Thanks.

I just can't help but comment.

Taurus does not use soft steel. There's no such thing as "minor timing issues", ether a revolver is in time, or it's not. The Taurus 92 has a reputation for excellent reliability and accuracy. The lower receivers are made of 6061-T6 aluminum and are type 3 hard anodized; they wear no faster or slower than most any other aluminum frame semi auto.

The PT 111 G2 has had some issues when it first came out. There was a large recall that cost Taurus a good year's profits. All started with the Brazilian national police, but then the recall spread pretty much worldwide. Given how many they had sold to foreign LE agencies, it really cost them. But as far as anyone knows, the issues are all worked out and everyone I have known that has owned the PT 111 G2 hasn't had any issues with them.

As for Taurus' warranty, my ONE dealing with them was awesome, but I've heard others complain.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HE112
Yes, a Glock or Smith and Wesson would be just fine for me, especially since Glock now has single stack smaller version available. But, the price issue, I saw a Cabelas ad for the Taurus at $200.00, Glock and Smith/W cannot even come close to that. Taurus makes a S/W revolver clone without the ugly hole in the side of the receiver that Smith continues to stupidly do, a so-called safety.

PSA currently has the 9mm Shield for $249. I would think that the $49 difference between the Taurus and the Smith would be a small amount to pay when you are betting your life on a carry pistol. YMMV.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

As for Taurus' warranty, my ONE dealing with them was awesome, but I've heard others complain.

This has been my experience also

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I can no longer tell my concealed carry classes that the only way to make a firearm fire is someone has to pull the trigger. We found a You Tube account of a guy shaking a semi-auto Taurus pistol. He'd shake it for about 5 seconds and the pistol would discharge a round! His finger did not come anywhere near the trigger. I watched him do it about 4 times in a row. I know the chances are someone with a dremel tool and no experience decided to work on the Taurus trigger, but still, the video is out there.

I will test that, next time I am at the range or my hunting property.

Edit: got a link, so I duplicate the test in the same manner?

I believe so. It will probably be a case of me asking the shop owner where HE has the link. He came in and gave me the address during one of my classes. I kid you not; that guy was shaking that pistol using his wrist and after about 5 seconds a round would discharge. All we know based on the title to the video was the pistol was a semi-auto Taurus. Seems Sarge has heard about it too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best part about the Brazilian shake/fire video is that the pistol jams on one shot. That's Taurus quality right there. It also goes bang with the safety on. Good stuff that Taurus.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K1500
Best part about the Brazilian shake/fire video is that the pistol jams on one shot. That's Taurus quality right there. It also goes bang with the safety on. Good stuff that Taurus.

Shaking a semiauto would likely be the same mechanicly to the recoil as "limp-wristing", which will cause many guns to jam. If the gun is not properly supported, that recoil has to go somewhere.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True, but I have never been able to induce anything to malfunction by limp wristing, even when trying. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying I have never been able to make it happen. Then again, I've never shaken a Taurus.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guy I know who is always going broke and selling me his latest gun, brought me a Taurus 650 357 mag for $200 11/14/2008.

The curious thing is that the revolver was defective from the factory. The chambers did not clean up with a 357 mag reamer. There are still rough spots from the CNC.
The result is that 357 mag pressures will jam up a chamber and not eject.
38 special pressures work.

While I shoot 357 mag pressures in many of my 38 specials, in this 357 mag I have to shoot 38 special pressures.

I told the guy about it and showed him the chambers. He said should take it back to the store where he got it and have it fixed or replaced under warranty. It has been 9 years and it never became a priority.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 60 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.