Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I picked up a set of Trijicon night sights to replace my stock sights on my M&P Shield 9mm.

A guy at work brought in MGW 307 SIG Sight Adjustment tool for me to take home and see if it will work.

I've never replaced handgun sights before and I'm a little leery about wrecking something.

Do you guys think this SIG tool will work and do you have any advice?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put the slide in a padded vise, loosen any set screws and then go at it with a hammer and flat faced punch. Brass is better for the punch but I've used mild steel as well.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/18/17.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To remove the sight, looking from the rear of the slide, move left to right. Install right to left.

The striker safety 1) spacer, 2) spring, and 3) plunger are held in place by the rear sight. The spacer is in contact with the rear sight and might fling, but will probably come out of place when the rear sight is removed. If you manage to sneak the sight off the last 1/16" it might stay together.

I use a padded vice (clean leather), hammer, and flat punch as well. Tape works well on the end of the punch to protect the sight - replace it after a few taps. I use a piece of wood as a punch/wedge for the install. The wood might split or crack, but wood is cheap.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
From my experience (on a shield too), sometimes a little filing on the dovetail of the sight is needed to get it to fit right.

Not sure if the Sig sight pusher will work, guess it depend upon whether or not it will fit on the Shield slide or not.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve used sight pushers and hammers. Be prepared for a fight because the Shield sights have always been a good bit tighter for us than the full size guns.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always file the sight, not the dovetail. In 7-10 years you're going to be replacing those sights, so you want to make sure your dovetails remain factory size. Sights are often really hard, so pick up a cheap set of diamond needle files from Harbor Freight or someplace cheap. File on the back side of the sight dovetail as that will hide your filing. Cover with some cold blue.

If you have any doubts, just take it to a professional.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Great replies guys. Thanks much!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Always file the sight, not the dovetail. In 7-10 years you're going to be replacing those sights, so you want to make sure your dovetails remain factory size. Sights are often really hard, so pick up a cheap set of diamond needle files from Harbor Freight or someplace cheap. File on the back side of the sight dovetail as that will hide your filing. Cover with some cold blue.

I have always been under the impression that the "dovetail" of the sight is the portion on the bottom of the sight, hence it looks like a dove's tail. Therefore, I recommended filing on the dovetail of the sight. You obviously don't want to file on the receiving channel on the slide of the gun.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Originally Posted by GunGeek

I have always been under the impression that the "dovetail" of the sight is the portion on the bottom of the sight, hence it looks like a dove's tail. Therefore, I recommended filing on the dovetail of the sight. You obviously don't want to file on the receiving channel on the slide of the gun.
The sight has the male portion, the slide the female portion...you want to file on the make portion of the sight, not the slide.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
File on the bottom of the sight and I've yet to see Trijicons fail in 7 years. They are guaranteed for 12 to the best of my memory.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
hmmm now I'm rethinking doing this myself...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It’s not that bad.
Recently I installed Trijicon HD’s on three different Shields for buddies. I have the MGW Shield specific tool and it was not necessary at all. The Trijicons went in easier than the factory sights came out. I run 10-8 sights on my Shields and the MGW was worth every penny for those.

Padded vise, appropriate punches and take your time. The SIG version will not work for the Shield.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up bringing it to the LGS and got them installed for $40.00. To me, that was worth not screwing something up. Which knowing me, I would! lol

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Took my slide home and put the gun back together last night, shut off the lights and wouldn't you know it, the right rear tritium dot does not work.

~sigh~

This has how my whole week has gone. lol

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Although the RS may have been defective from the factory, the reason to use a sight pusher on the tritium sights rather than punches and hammers, is to prevent rupturing the tritium vials when installing. That may be the problem, but the LGS should replace the sight no charge.

The Shield slide is fairly thin in the rear, so using a delrin block inside the rails to support them while you use the slide pusher to remove the factory RS and install the new tritium is a good idea. I've had good results replacing several Shield sights that way.

Back to your original question, my preferred night sight for my pistols is the straight 8 configuration, especially with the HD FS dot. They're very fast to get on target at night and very visible in daylight. YMMV

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 12/23/17.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

Back to your original question, my preferred night sight for my pistols is the straight 8 configuration, especially with the HD FS dot. They're very fast to get on target at night and very visible in daylight. YMMV

Are those the Trijicon sights? I'm wishing I would have went with them.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
TruGlo had me send my slide in so they could fix the sights under warranty. I sure miss carrying my Shield though! lol

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.