Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a 1951 M70 in 30/06 that is in great shape, BUT...
The floor plate is giving me trouble. When I close the plate, its hard to push past the latch pin. Sometimes it pops open when firing, sometimes I can’t hardly open the plate at all. It seems like the plate isn’t gong down far enough, but I’m not sure and I don’t want to monkey with it without some more reference on what’s going on. The gun is very clean and I’d hate to damage it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Win 70 floor plates can be temperamental.

1. I find if I shift the floor plate a little left and right while applying pressure to close that the latch snaps securely closed.

2. There are a couple of things to do to ease the opening. First drive out the little pin that retains the floor plate catch from the trigger guard, then clean the rust and gunk from the spring and the hole, lightly lube and reassemble. I advise against changing the spring out to a lighter spring, but a new spring may be needed. Too light of a spring and the plate will fly open unintentionally.

3. Another method which should only be done by an experienced person is to use a broom stick or other larger diameter dow rod and flex (put a bow in the floor plate) the floor plate.

4. Extreme cases may need some filing of the floorplate, but you will be removing original finish. I would focus on the cleaning/ lubing of latch and spring myself.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Win 70 floor plates can be temperamental.

1. I find if I shift the floor plate a little left and right while applying pressure to close that the latch snaps securely closed.

2. There are a couple of things to do to ease the opening. First drive out the little pin that retains the floor plate catch from the trigger guard, then clean the rust and gunk from the spring and the hole, lightly lube and reassemble. I advise against changing the spring out to a lighter spring, but a new spring may be needed. Too light of a spring and the plate will fly open unintentionally.

3. Another method which should only be done by an experienced person is to use a broom stick or other larger diameter dow rod and flex (put a bow in the floor plate) the floor plate.

4. Extreme cases may need some filing of the floorplate, but you will be removing original finish. I would focus on the cleaning/ lubing of latch and spring myself.

Thank you sir!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a few M70s, both pre and post 64 but still not an expert. Two things I see. The trigger guard screw head is sticking up too far......wrong screw? Also, on several of mine, I've had to make a shim to go under the front of the trigger guard to bring it closer to flush with the surface of the stock. It will allow the plunger to engage the floor plate deeper and hold it securely.

My Safari Express
[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep, I'd be tempted to try the shim under the trigger guard as well, it looks like it's inlet a little deep.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tmitch
I have a few M70s, both pre and post 64 but still not an expert. Two things I see. The trigger guard screw head is sticking up too far......wrong screw? Also, on several of mine, I've had to make a shim to go under the front of the trigger guard to bring it closer to flush with the surface of the stock. It will allow the plunger to engage the floor plate deeper and hold it securely.

My Safari Express
[Linked Image]

Nice safari express!

I think your into something regarding the screw head in mine being too high or even incorrect. I have another M70 made in the early 50s, I’ll have to compare the two to see how the other guns screw sits.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Easy way to find out............take out the front trigger guard screw and loosen the rear. Cut a piece of business card to slide under the front and re-tighten the rear. I think you'll find the floor plate closes and latches easier and more securely. The floor-plate on my post-64 rifles (I'm too lazy to dig out a pre-64 to check) are relieved slightly above the screw head so it may work with your front screw installed.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There are factory shims for the guard bow and magazine cover hinge inlets....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That screw is correct for the year.. I'd bet your issue will go away once you shim the front end of that trigger guard - because I can see from your pic that the inlet's too deep.

It's a common issue - and one I correct when I'm glass bedding a rifle. I make sure the floor plate's flush with the stock and then skim bed that trigger guard to stay in place.. Once done correctly, the latch engages fully and snugly..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all so far. Now I just need to get my work day behind me so I can get home and dive into it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
That screw is correct for the year...

Redneck is an expert in this field! I shoulda dug deeper in the safe and checked a pre-64. cool

Charter Member

szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Cut a strip of business card to the profile of the trigger guard and slip it between the trigger guard and the stock. If the stock is inlet especially deep you may need two business card shims. NEVER attempt to bow the floorplate, this is a bubba fix if ever I heard one.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sure looks like that screw is stickin' up more than it should. Raising the guard itself seems logical. Gotta agree too about that "Bubba" fix. Sheesh.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I never use paper or tape shims.. In fact, I don't use shims.. It's skim bedded to ensure a uniform (for pressure) fit. Re: that screw head - note the design of the interior of that floorplate over that screw. You'll note it's got a recess there to fit over that it. The head of that screw is never flush with the trigger guard.. Post-64 models in later years replaced that middle screw style with one nearly identical with the rear-most trigger guard screw - and changed the inner design of the floorplate as well.. Trying to use that flat-headed early model with a later floorplate won't work; won't allow the latch to engage..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
UPDATE:

I ended up pulling both front and rear trigger guard screws and pulling the trigger guard. I was surprised to find some gunk under the trigger gaurd plate where the rear screw hole is. I cleaned off the gunk and put the trigger guard back on with a paper shim added under the front screw hole. I realized then that the front of my trigger guard assembly was too high (where before it was too low). I removed the paper shim and now everything works just as it should. I’m suspecting the gunk under the rear screw was keeping the assembly from being level (tilting the front of the trigger guard assembly down). Once cleaned and leveled properly, the problem was solved.

THANK YOU ALL for your suggestions, opinions, experience, guidance, and insight. I greatly appreciate it!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Glad it worked out with no shims or alterations!

As a token of your appreciation you can send me one of your M71 carbines. laugh

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tmitch
Glad it worked out with no shims or alterations!

As a token of your appreciation you can send me one of your M71 carbines. laugh

Haha,

That sounds fair!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glad to hear you found the problem... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Glad to hear you found the problem... smile

Thank you!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Cut a strip of business card to the profile of the trigger guard and slip it between the trigger guard and the stock. If the stock is inlet especially deep you may need two business card shims. NEVER attempt to bow the floorplate, this is a bubba fix if ever I heard one.

Not a Bubba fix that was a Winchester directed method back in the day.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (338reddog, 308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,106
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.