-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a 7-08 Featherweight compact a little while back. Finally got it out shooting this year and took a nice WV buck with it. Fit and finish are good. Shoots great. No issues so far....

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
They are not as trim as the older fwts, glad it was not just me that thought that! I had a couple of the newer ones. They shot well but did not speak to me so they went away.

Yep, I've had some as well and much prefer my classics and pre 64's.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
No comment...

That's unfortunate. Your opinion/observations count at least double.

I thought (literally) that everybody knew by now that, while I love M70s, I'm NOT a fan of the BACO's trigger.. Browning just HAD to screw up what could have been the finest trigger ever in a hunting rifle simply by refining/modernizing the original.... Dumbasses...

Overall, I think the BACOs are a bit better in quality - but it's because of modern machinery and processes. But I truly despise that MOA trigger. (some were/are already on 'recall') . I have a bunch of NH M70s. I have one BACO, and I do not shoot it.. It's a relatively special one that'll increase in value as a collector but I'd take any NH over the BACO every day of the week and twice on Sunday..

For those that are not familiar with the NH's trigger system, I'll try to elaborate. From the factory, they're a bit heavy, they creep and they're not usually crisp. BUT - (and this is a biggie) if they freeze up or somehow fail to fire in the field the owner can remove the action, easily determine the problem, correct it with a couple very simple pocket tools and be back in business inside of 10 minutes.. When (not if) an enclosed trigger fails, maybe it just got out of adjustment and can be corrected. Most anything else and ya better have a back-up rifle available within reach.

Give me a NH trigger and 20-25 minutes and I'll give you a trigger that nearly equals a Jewell or Trigger Tech and still remain that wonderfully simple/reliable design that's been tried and true for over 5 decades.. Browning could have done that same thing and cost 'em tons less than that pos MOA unit.. But nooooooooooo...

Sorry to get started...

Merry Christmas..

A enclosed trigger can often be flushed out in the field with lighter fluid without removing the action from the stock.
I apreciat the design of the new haven trigger, but in practice they never felt good to me, even after tuned and they were made out of cheaply cast parts. Then there is the quality of the NH guns in general. Most sucked finish wise, lits of tool marks, etc. The 5 digit classics were better than the latter ones, but still a project in a box in most cases. Cast extractors, crudely cast bottom metal, etc.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
so.....are you saying the new portugal guns are of higher quality in your opinion than the winchester nh guns??

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IMO... the SC guns were better made than the late NH guns. The early classics were pretty good though as were the push feed XTR's. I havent handled a Portugal gun, but will make it a point to when my kids cone of age. A compact Fwt in the 6.5 CM sounds like a great combo.

I also preferred the old trigger, but hunting with the new style doesnt give me pause, until I have an issue, then I'll prolly throw a toddler like fit. All guns are made up of little pins, springs, etc. that are depended on for proper function, all can fail when subjected to bad conditions.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by whitearrow
so.....are you saying the new portugal guns are of higher quality in your opinion than the winchester nh guns??

Yes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
From what I've seen, I'd buy one in a quick heartbeat if I already didn't have too many rifles.

I've been hearing the made in Portugal rant for years now. It was an interesting topic in the beginning, however it seems Browning is unimpressed by dissatisfaction of a few.

Trigger? How many here have had a new one freeze up? The average guy fix an old Model 70 trigger in the field with his pocket tools? How many are going to do that? For the vast majority-like what 99%+-your trigger goes down mechanically, your gun is down until you get home or have a Smith look at it.

The new ones are an excellent rifle.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
well i'm just at that age where a want a couple nicer timeless rifles to pass down to my 2 sons and i believe a featherweight and a supergrade will fit the bill. i just want to make sure that the build quality and the accuracy are there before a plunk down a coupla gs. i've got plenty rifles to hunt with so these 2 will be put in the safe for later on in life when i fell i just have to hunt with a classy rifle. till then my tikka t3's will do in spades. but, i'm sure one day all the plastic will get on my nerves........nah prolly not but it will be nice to have the all walnut and steel guns there anyway. keep the thoughts coming fellas please. the more i hear from y'all rifle loonies like myself the more i'm informed.

Col. Townsend Whelen
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 3 SC model 70s. I am not an enclosed trigger fan, but the fit, finish and accuracy of these SC 70s is damn good. On the other hand, I have tried a Portuguese model 70 and a XPR and have been sorely disappointed in every aspect of these rifles. I have tried them-and now I am done with them. CP.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by whitearrow

Yes.

I’d say that, too.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I hope I get this right......

The SC guns were assembled in SC with American barreled actions (source of action unclear) and stocks made in Portugal. Now the assembly is done in Portugal with the same parts. Terry Wieland did a two-part article on this. He feels overall that the current ones are the best ever.

I never had trouble with the old trigger on a Pre-64 or two New Haven Classics I tweaked for my sons, but they're gone and the old and new ones aren't interchangeable, apparently, as the aftermarket models are different.

My only quibble with any of the "new" M70s is the multi-part bolt that fails at times. The cheezy weak extractors supposedly have been replaced with better ones (a weathy doctor I used to encounter at the range has a customized .458 he had built for Africa. His rifle had a replacement extractor. BTW, that feller could shoot! He was wearing out a target offhand at 100 yards with his cannon.)

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
No comment...

That's unfortunate. Your opinion/observations count at least double.

I thought (literally) that everybody knew by now that, while I love M70s, I'm NOT a fan of the BACO's trigger.. Browning just HAD to screw up what could have been the finest trigger ever in a hunting rifle simply by refining/modernizing the original.... Dumbasses...

Overall, I think the BACOs are a bit better in quality - but it's because of modern machinery and processes. But I truly despise that MOA trigger. (some were/are already on 'recall') . I have a bunch of NH M70s. I have one BACO, and I do not shoot it.. It's a relatively special one that'll increase in value as a collector but I'd take any NH over the BACO every day of the week and twice on Sunday..

For those that are not familiar with the NH's trigger system, I'll try to elaborate. From the factory, they're a bit heavy, they creep and they're not usually crisp. BUT - (and this is a biggie) if they freeze up or somehow fail to fire in the field the owner can remove the action, easily determine the problem, correct it with a couple very simple pocket tools and be back in business inside of 10 minutes.. When (not if) an enclosed trigger fails, maybe it just got out of adjustment and can be corrected. Most anything else and ya better have a back-up rifle available within reach.

Give me a NH trigger and 20-25 minutes and I'll give you a trigger that nearly equals a Jewell or Trigger Tech and still remain that wonderfully simple/reliable design that's been tried and true for over 5 decades.. Browning could have done that same thing and cost 'em tons less than that pos MOA unit.. But nooooooooooo...

Sorry to get started...

Merry Christmas..

Thanks for taking time out to educate me!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has been a very informative thread.
😎

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get you one if you want it!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Get you one if you want it!!

That's what I'm thinking. Either a Sporter in .264 or a FWT in 270 or dare I hope?-6.5CM?

Last edited by 340boy; 12/16/17.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pappy, I have a little different rendition of the story. When FN commenced producing the Model 70 in South Carolina, the barreled actions were produced in house by FN and the other components for the rifle were sourced through a number of domestic vendors. In short order, FN had issues with some of the outside vendors' quality and deliver schedules. In turn, they stared sourcing components from their international partners to offset the issues they were having with some of the domestic suppliers. Moreover, production of the Model 70 in the South Carolina plant was causing production conflicts with FN's primary business at that location of manufacturing military and police firearms. So, the move to Portugal was driven by a variety of issues.

I asked Winchester if the barreled action for the Portuguese Model 70 would always be produced in South Carolina and they told me "not necessarily". Everybody can draw their own conclusions from that comment. CP.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
thanks fellas for the posts and please keep em coming for educational value.

Col. Townsend Whelen
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 71 invisible), 2,989 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.