Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just started with new RCBS dies, reloading for 358 win. Every single time I try to set the bullet SPBT 225gr. it gets stuck in the die. I have to screw the bullet holder all the way down thru the die to remove the bullet. I have lubed the die, bullet and cases. Nothing helps. How do I correct the problem other than changing to another type bullet?

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I never lube dies bullets or cases when trying to seat a bullet.

It sounds like the case is crimping before the bullet is seated?

When setting a new seating die, I load an empty case in the shell holder and run it all the way up.
Screw the seating die down until I feel it touching the case and back off 1 turn. Lock the set screw in the lock nut.

That's my best guess, Good Luck with the project!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Just started with new RCBS dies, reloading for 358 win. Every single time I try to set the bullet SPBT 225gr. it gets stuck in the die. I have to screw the bullet holder all the way down thru the die to remove the bullet. I have lubed the die, bullet and cases. Nothing helps. How do I correct the problem other than changing to another type bullet?

Do the bullets you have seated have a ring cut into the bullet below the nose?

If so, that is from the seater plug having machine tool marks in it or a "knife edge" on the inside edge of the seater plug that is grabbing the bullet. I had the same issue with my .30-06 RCBS seating die. I just chucked the plug into a drill and polished the inside with a piece of sandpaper I had formed into a cone. Problem disappeared.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Both of the above have happened to me. On the seater plug I put some course valve compound on a bullet chucked in an electric drill, then followed up with fine compound and then Flitz.

The crimper on RCBS dies have given me fits when I over adjusted them. I have even buckled case necks due to operator error.

A dirty die will also do this.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I used a drimmel on it. Works fine now. It had an edge on it that was grabbing the bullet. Not anymore.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
788 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,359
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.