Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hi..... My name is renegade50,s mod70ot6, I can trace my relatives back to the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company and Those crazy German dudes Wilhelm and Paul Mauser. I can kill alot of things with a Barnes 168gr TTSX.🤓🤓🤓

Last edited by renegade50; 12/19/17.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like the J. Peterman catalog from Seinfeld.

------------------------
John
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
George Herter would be proud. Give all them weatherby rifles a participation ribbon or trophy for jumping outta mommy,s mini- van to go play soccer.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
They forgot to mention that the gun is made in Japan.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
This a long story. I have two Weatherby Vanguards (.243 & 30.06) but I'll never buy another one because of their poor customer service. I replaced the cheap plastic stocks with Bell and Carson stocks and replaced the triggers with Timney triggers. They both shoot sub MOA but the 30.06 would sometimes leaves injector heavy injector marks on the brass and create what I call brass wool (brass shavings). I didn't notice it until after I'd fired the first five shot group when sighting it in. This was with factory ammo and not my reloads. I called Weatherby customer service when I got home and they suggested I call their gunsmith in Dallas. The gunsmith said he could probably fix it but since it was a brand new rifle to send it to the Weatherby for repair. I called Weatherby and they agreed to fix it and even sent me a pre-paid box for shipping. I sent it to them with an explanation letter and the fired brass (I think 3 of the 5 had ejector marks). I got it back 3 weeks later with the brass I sent and the brass from their testing. Their test brass had ejector marks just like the brass I sent them and a letter basically saying "No problem found". I then took it to a well known local gun dealer that has several gunsmiths and they said it couldn't be repaired. They said the ejector hole was to big and the ejector pin had excessive clearance around it so the brass was flowing into the gap. Made sense to me so I thought about buying another bolt but instead I just it my safe for a couple of years. I was talking to my next door neighbor one day and he said if I would take apart he could make an ejector pin that fit the hole perfectly. I got out my big drill bit set and found a bit that fit the ejector perfectly so I ordered a drill bit blank (didn't know they existed) for him to work with. I gave him the bolt and drill bit blank but he got laid off before he got around to making the pin. I got it back and was checking the bolt face when I noticed the ejector hole had raised sharp edges. I got a ceramic rod from one of my knife sharpeners and smoothed out the raised edge. That might have fixed it but I don't want an ejector pin that's sloppy loose hole in the ejector. I was sighting in my 9 year old Grandsons youth model .243 that he's getting for Christmas last week and the guy next to me was shooting three 30.06's. I telling him about my Weatherby Vanguard 30.06 problem and he recommended a local gunsmith that he uses and said that he was sure could fix it. I think I can make an ejector pin with a Dremel tool but I'd rather get a pro to do it. After Christmas I'll take him the bolt and see what has say. To be continued.

Last edited by victoro; 12/19/17.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by troutfly

... gotta remember those (Weatherby Vanguards) are mostly entry level rifles.
Us serious Looneys are not the target market.

After big game hunting over 40 years without one, I finally bought my first Weatherby rifle (a Vanguard in .300 Wby) 8 years ago. I re-stocked it in prettier wood (with a high rollover comb), and in the short time that I've had this rifle I've successfully used it on hunts in Texas, multiple elk hunts in Montana, 3 trips to Africa, a New Zealand hunt, and this year on a Dagestan Tur hunt in Azerbaijan. I couldn't ask for a better rifle.

Last year I bought another Vanguard, in .308 Win, mainly just for practicing and ringing the 300 and 430 yard steel plates at our local range.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

there's nothing lacking in either Howa's or Miroku's quality.

Remington and Marlin could learn from them, looking at some of the latest examples.......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

Remington and Marlin could learn from them, looking at some of the latest examples.......

Pretty sure that Remington even in it's heyday ever made anything even remotely comparable to a Miroku or Howa build quality.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would take a Howa action (Weatherby Vanguard) in preference to about any other push feed action with a possible exception of a Ruger American. (Jury is still out. The American is too new to know for sure, but so far I have had no complaints or issues with the Rugers)

As a gunsmith I get to see the bad ones and the "sick guns" and the ones that I fix the most are the 700 Remington actions.

The one that I have seen break 4 times, and the company will NOT do a thing to help is Tikka. 4 of them have come to my shop with the bolt body broken out behind the root of the bolt handle. (the rear of the dovetail) Tikka says "tough" and will do NOTHING to help At ALL! For that reason alone I will not recommend Tikka. Too bad, they are super smooth and super accurate, but they have NO and I do mean NO customer support at all.

I can't say what Howa's policy is because I have never seen one break. I have seen a few minor issues that I was able to fix with the extractors dragging when left to rust. Easy fix, and not the fault of the gun. I don't like the cheep feeling bottom metal and painted decal "HOWA" on the floor plate, but that just a preference. As far as function goes, I rank the Howa as either the #1 push feed action on the American market, or a tie for 1st place with the new Ruger.

I did have a Weatherby Mk5 come in for a restock last year with a broken trigger guard. The customer had a plastic stock and wanted one of my nice Bastogne stocks so I did the work for him. I had him call Weatherby about the broken TG and they sold him a new one at a very high price (about $140 is what he told me) That's a different action and a different importer than Legacy USA however. So I have no idea what Legacy would have done if it had been a Howa action. Might be worth a phone call just to ask.
If anything was to make me lean to the Ruger over the Howa it would be customer support. I know that if anything breaks on a Ruger they replace it free. Legacy/Howa may do the same, but you'd need to call them and find out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I would take a Miroku gun ANYTIME over any Remington or Marlin current production (or anything they made in the last 10 years)

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you've ever built on a Howa, you'll appreciate how straight the receivers are, usually very little work to do to them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sako

I would take a Miroku gun ANYTIME over any Remington or Marlin current production (or anything they made in the last 10 years)

Absolutely.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by szihn
I would take a Howa action (Weatherby Vanguard) in preference to about any other push feed action with a possible exception of a Ruger American. (Jury is still out. The American is too new to know for sure, but so far I have had no complaints or issues with the Rugers)

As a gunsmith I get to see the bad ones and the "sick guns" and the ones that I fix the most are the 700 Remington actions.

The one that I have seen break 4 times, and the company will NOT do a thing to help is Tikka. 4 of them have come to my shop with the bolt body broken out behind the root of the bolt handle. (the rear of the dovetail) Tikka says "tough" and will do NOTHING to help At ALL! For that reason alone I will not recommend Tikka. Too bad, they are super smooth and super accurate, but they have NO and I do mean NO customer support at all.

I can't say what Howa's policy is because I have never seen one break. I have seen a few minor issues that I was able to fix with the extractors dragging when left to rust. Easy fix, and not the fault of the gun. I don't like the cheep feeling bottom metal and painted decal "HOWA" on the floor plate, but that just a preference. As far as function goes, I rank the Howa as either the #1 push feed action on the American market, or a tie for 1st place with the new Ruger.

I did have a Weatherby Mk5 come in for a restock last year with a broken trigger guard. The customer had a plastic stock and wanted one of my nice Bastogne stocks so I did the work for him. I had him call Weatherby about the broken TG and they sold him a new one at a very high price (about $140 is what he told me) That's a different action and a different importer than Legacy USA however. So I have no idea what Legacy would have done if it had been a Howa action. Might be worth a phone call just to ask.
If anything was to make me lean to the Ruger over the Howa it would be customer support. I know that if anything breaks on a Ruger they replace it free. Legacy/Howa may do the same, but you'd need to call them and find out.

Thanks for the post. I have read that about Tikka several times before and it's one of the reasons I have not bought one.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Weatherby PR has always been a bit over-the-top.

Aside from that, the Vanguard Safari is a very nice-looking rifle, if you're into that sort of thing.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Good product, for a good price, from an Allied nation.

I'm good with that.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Howa is, from my (limited) experience, a fine rifle. Also, I have nothing against MkVs. I think they are good rifles.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a 6.5x55 Howa on clearance at Sportsman's Warehouse for $295. Figured I didn't have anything to lose. I liked it so well I treated it to an Edge stock I picked up from a fire member. The Edge transformed the gun. I haven't shot it much at all (none since the stock swap) but it is already showing itself as a shooter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
416 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 41 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.