Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
HW95l Field Pro. For a long time I've wanted a higher quality air rifle.

I chose this model because I keep hearing very good reviews about it. I wanted to stick with a springer in order to keep things simple. Don't want to mess with air tanks and compressors. I also wanted to step up to a .22 cal. This rifle will be used mostly for fun shooting in the back yard and probably a little pest control.

Well it arrived yesterday from Airguns Of Arizona. Looking it over the fit and Finnish is excellent. Really nice blueing, the hard wood stock is walnut stained with very sharp checkering. Checking the screws i noticed the action screws were a little loose. I removed them degresed them and put them back in after applying some blue locktite. I did the same to the scope mounting screws before I put the scope on. I was a little disappointed to see that the scope is made in china even though it says Weihrauch on it. Thankfully the rifle says Made In Germany. Fortunately the scope does give me a nice clear sight picture. It is a 3x-9x 40mm.

Today after work I sighted it in. It was getting dark and I new I would not have a lot of time to shoot it. I set up a target at 15 yrds. The first shot was about three inches below point of aim. Windage was already dead on. I was immediately impressed with the trigger. When researching this rifle I kept hearing about the Rekord Trigger. This was a big selling point with me because the cheaper springers that I have used in the past all had poor triggers. This one is light and crisp with just a little take up. There is an adjustment screw behind the trigger. I backed it off a little making the trigger just a tad lighter. Once it was sighted in I was able to get 5 shot groups at under a quarter of an inch off of a rest.

As I said I did not have a lot of time to shoot since it was getting dark. Before I stopped shooting I took a few off hand shots at an old frying pan I have hanging on a fence at 45 yrds away. I had no trouble hitting it. The muzzle weight on the end of the barrel helps giving me a steady hold. I'm looking forward to shooting it some more tomorrow.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like you got a real accurate shooter that will be loads of fun for many years to come. Congratulations.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You've made a good choice. Own 2 HW's myself. Top shelf all the way. The Rekord triggers are like custom centerfire triggers.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
^^^^ What Taconic said. ^^^^^

Congrats, you'll enjoy it!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent, I have the Beeman version. Wonderful rifle.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks guys. Hopefully today I will have the time to shoot it some more.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good move on the 22.
Those little 177's are a pain, and don't have nearly the impact entertainment value.

I've been lusting over the HW50s in .22 for a couple years. Really like to try that Rekord trigger. There's a place in the Netherlands that ships over here for about two thirds the price.

Some day....But I've got a few cheap springers I've been suffering through with.
A couple of $25 pawn shop Daisy 131's(Gamo Expo). Kind of an R7 wannabe. These are a blast for short range offhand shooting. They'll kill the heck out of paintballs on golf tees.
A Ruger Blackhawk Elite (Diana 34 clone) with a surprisingly good T5-style trigger, and a giant scope. And actually very accurate.
And a fifty dollar pawn shop Crosman Crusher NP .22 that has a terrible trigger but is very powerful and lightweight and actually quite fun to shoot and will shread a steel aerosol can out past 60 yards.

Last edited by DollarShort; 12/21/17.
I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
DollorShort, you are right about the .22 being more fun compared to the .177. It definitely has the wack factor. Those 11.9gr lead pellets really flatten out nicely when they hit. I shot the rifle some more today and it tore up some tin cans rather nicely. I would love to get a skunk in my crosshairs.

Good luck on getting that HW50. You will definitely like the Rekord trigger.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by IMR4350
DollorShort, you are right about the .22 being more fun compared to the .177. It definitely has the wack factor. Those 11.9gr lead pellets really flatten out nicely when they hit. I shot the rifle some more today and it tore up some tin cans rather nicely. I would love to get a skunk in my crosshairs.

Good luck on getting that HW50. You will definitely like the Rekord trigger.

I've been shooting the 14.3 Crosman Domes from Tractor Supply. But I've been meaning to order some heavies.
You should be safe up to 16 or 18 grains with the 95 if you decide you want a little more thump.

I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Thanks for the info. I've always preferred the heavier projectiles for any given caliber. I'm looking forward to giving the heavier pellets a try.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice - I have the Beeman versions in .177 and .22. Super nice rifles and fun to shoot. Since I can shoot in my basement, my air rifles get shot far more than all the other firearms I own. .

Last edited by tominboise; 12/23/17.

Regards,

Tom
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DollarShort
Good move on the 22.
Those little 177's are a pain, and don't have nearly the impact entertainment value.

I've been lusting over the HW50s in .22 for a couple years. Really like to try that Rekord trigger. There's a place in the Netherlands that ships over here for about two thirds the price.

Some day....But I've got a few cheap springers I've been suffering through with.
A couple of $25 pawn shop Daisy 131's(Gamo Expo). Kind of an R7 wannabe. These are a blast for short range offhand shooting. They'll kill the heck out of paintballs on golf tees.
A Ruger Blackhawk Elite (Diana 34 clone) with a surprisingly good T5-style trigger, and a giant scope. And actually very accurate.
And a fifty dollar pawn shop Crosman Crusher NP .22 that has a terrible trigger but is very powerful and lightweight and actually quite fun to shoot and will shread a steel aerosol can out past 60 yards.

Not a thing wrong with the .177s ...Cheaper to shoot than the. 22s so you get more practice.. Less richochet potential due to their lighter weight. The .177s also drift less and shoot flatter. The Brits know more about airgun huntng than anyone and they still use the 177 effectively on small game out to 60 meters.

I have a Beeman R-7 that developes a whopping 7ftlbs at the muzzle with its monsterous 7.9g pellet and yet its bagged Squirrel ,Rabbits ,pigeons, skunks and even a few Crows inside 30 yards.

Yes, you have to put that pellet in the right place but you have to with a .22 pellet gun as well.
Especially given the velocities the HW95 powerplant developes. I doubt the actual chorographed velocity with a 14g pellet will top 700 FPS... Thats about half the power of a .22Short. On game- not paintballs and targets- pellet placement is the only gaurantee of a clean kill.

I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Yes the .177 pellet does have its advantages. That is why I am going to hang on to my .177 Crossman. Might as well enjoy both. I have already seen that it shoots flatter than my new .22. It would actually be an excellent air rifle if it wasn't for that horrible trigger.

I agree that a 14 grain pellet out of the .22 HW95 will not top 700fps. Air Guns Of Arizona chorographed the 11.9gr pellets at an average velocity of 730fps out of my rifle before they shipped it to me.

Last edited by IMR4350; 12/25/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by IMR4350
Yes the .177 pellet does have its advantages. That is why I am going to hang on to my .177 Crossman. Might as well enjoy both. I have already seen that it shoots flatter than my new .22. It would actually be an excellent air rifle if it wasn't for that horrible trigger.

I agree that a 14 grain pellet out of the .22 HW95 will not top 700fps. Air Guns Of Arizona chorographed the 11.9gr pellets at an average velocity of 730fps out of my rifle before they shipped it to me.

Sounds like a great gun.. accuracy trumps all. smile

The reason why I responded to the whole " .177 vs .22 " thing is the fact I am going to order a HW 95 in a few weeks to go with the R9 and have gone back and forth about which caliber to buy. The .22 cals are very effective at PCP velocities of 850-950FPS with enough pellet weight. Trouble is many hunting weight springers don't push the 14g + 22 pellets fast enough to suit me for shooting at 40-50 yards in terms of trajectory and wind drift.

Maybe I will have to buy both and sort them out..:)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My HW 95 .177 pushes about 930 to 950 fps with 7 to 8gr.pellets. Lighter pellets are around 990 but are not accurate. All in all, I'm pretty impressed with this velocity. My RWS 34 pushes a 14gr. .22 at about 690 to 700fps. 714fps was the highest I recorded.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How loud is this rifle? Back yard friendly?

All American

All the time
I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Not loud at all. It is no louder than my .177 cal. It shouldn't bother the neighbors. I would love to get some more shooting time in with it but we are having a real cold snap right now. Temps down in the single digits.

Last edited by IMR4350; 12/28/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got an RWS 54 myself. Like it more since I replaced the scope with a peep sight. That thing is an anvil and a 20oz scope just made it worse. Anything that needs shooting here can be hit with the irons.

There's a new, cheap Diana PCP available now, with good performance, for about $200. Still need a $150 pump, though.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's kinda nice living 10 minutes from Airguns of Arizona. I picked up some discounted H&N sport 22 caliber pills and they actually shoot quite well. Right behind the Exacts. You'll enjoy that rifle!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I
IMR4350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I'm glad I don't live about 10 minutes from a place like Air Guns Of Arizona. I would probably go broke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.