24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tom---I tested them in both both wet phone books & dry phone books. Wet books gave a perfect mushroom @ 180 grains size of a quarter. Dry phone books gave a 170 grains and the bullet looked like everything above the interlock was gone. Size was .375 On the bear she was facing me & at a quartering angle @ 100 yards. Bullet when in just inside the left shoulder & exited just behind the right shoulder. Exit hole was about the size of a half dollar. FYI--I booked another grizzly hunt in 2020 with Jake Jefferson. I'm planning on using the same load. Bob

Photo of the bear is in the Alaska section.

Last edited by colorado bob; 12/15/17.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
colorado bob,

I have seen a number of big-game animals (meaning larger than deer) killed with both Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames, including Cape buffalo. I dunno what "swear by Swift A-Frames" means, but in my experience Nosler Partitions of the same caliber/weight penetrate just as deeply, and sometimes deeper.

This is not denigrating the A-Frame. It's a fine bullet, but what many hunters don't realize only front core is bonded, and the jacket over the rear core is thinner than the Partition's--which also features a rear core much harder than the A-Frame's.

This is why A-Frames tend to expand wider than Partitions, particularly in the rear end, which often bulges due to the softer rear core shifting foreward. This is also why A-Frames typically don't penetrate any deeper than bigger Partitions of the same weight and caliber, and often not as deeply.

As I noted above, bigger Partitions with the jacket wall moved forward usually generally retain 85-95% of their original weight, which is exactly why they penetrate deeply. In fact, the 286 9.3mm Partitions will normally penetrate more than 250-grain Barnes TSX's, but not quite as deeply as 286 TSX's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Tom---I tested them in both both wet phone books & dry phone books. Wet books gave a perfect mushroom @ 180 grains size of a quarter. Dry phone books gave a 170 grains and the bullet looked like everything above the interlock was gone. Size was .375 On the bear she was facing me & at a quartering angle @ 100 yards. Bullet when in just inside the left shoulder & exited just behind the right shoulder. Exit hole was about the size of a half dollar. FYI--I booked another grizzly hunt in 2020 with Jake Jefferson. I'm planning on using the same load. Bob

Photo of the bear is in the Alaska section.

Thanks Bob, read your nice write-up in the Alaska section. I remember Jake from when he first started guiding and posting on the Alaska outdoors forums. I use to hang out there a bit when I was still living there. My big bear huntings days are mostly behind me now being a non-res, but keep my 375 hanging around for a trip to Africa someday.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John----I hang out over at Accuratereloading. The guys there that have hunted more cape buffalo than I ever will. The ones that I value their opinion are in 2 groups-----1 for the A frame and the other is TSX. No one over there likes the Hornady DGX.

Didn't mean to infer anything bad about the partition. Just seems like most like to shoot them a N/A animals---especially elk. Bob

Last edited by colorado bob; 12/16/17.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

FWIW....I just spoke with one of my P/H friends in Zimbabwe regarding the .375 H&H and the Nosler Partition for buffalo. Quote: "The success of he NP is not to be diminished for plains game, up to, and including eland. The problem seems to be what makes the NP so good is its Achilles heel for buffalo. On a broad side shot on buffalo, the velocity of the .375 H&H, plus the thin forward jacket of the NP sets up too quickly on the broad, over-lapping ribs of the buffalo, then fails to penetrate deeply into the vitals." "Bonded bullets, such as Swift A-Frame, and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw punch through the ribs, and continue to penetrate, and cause internal damage."

Best to inquire from your P/H which bullet is recommended for buffalo.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's very interesting. I wonder how "setting up too quickly" causes Partitions to fail to penetrate.

I have personally seen 7 Partitions shot into buffalo, most (but not all) mine. They either ended up under the skin on the far side, including one that entered the rear of the ribcage on the left side and was found in the right shoulder. But the last one exited on a broadside shot, blowing chunks of lung over the sand. It left a big blood trail, which ended in a buffalo 60 yards away.

But the PH I've hunted with more than any, Kevin Thomas, has had far more experience with Partitions on Cape buffalo. He retired a few years ago, but grew up in what was then called Rhodesia, and started working as a game ranger for their game department when he graduated from high school, and later worked for a huge ranch as a game-control officer, culling over 500 buffalo. For the culling he primarily used a .30-06 and 180-grain Partitions, and while many of the buffalo were obviously cows and younger animals, many were mature bulls. He never had any problems with the 180's penetrating the ribs and on into the chest, even on frontal shots.

He eventually became a PH, killing another 100 or so buffalo either when finishing them off for clients, or during his own hunting. To make sure I remembered our many fireside conversations about African rifles, cartridges and bullets I just e-mailed him, asking specifically about Nosler Partitions. He sad this to say: "Regards Nosler Partition on buffalo, I've never had any problems with them, or heard any of my colleagues complain of problems."

Kevin started writing about his adventures, not just in African hunting but as a member of the Selous Scouts, a few years before he retired, and his first book SHADOWS IN AN AFRICAN TWILIGHT, is a very interesting chronicle of many of those adventures. But in "retirement" he's now writing a lot more, and also informed me in his e-mail that his 4th book, mostly about buffalo, will soon be published.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Off topic, my next safari will be a 'one gun' Mozambique Cape Buffalo hunt with an old FN Browning safari grade 458 WM firing 500 gr Partitions at 2150 fps, I have no fear.

Also gonna hunt and try to bust a Leopard with the 458, some may question that, but, I'm banking with a squishy 350 gr Woodleigh 450 BPE bullet at 2500 fps the crap will be handily slapped outta that cat.

I can find no issue with any Partiton bullet I've ever used, and certainly don't expect to find any shooting Cape Buff with a 300 gr 375 NPT, except of course a dead buffalo.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’d shoot 270 TSX, in 375 for plains game and Cape buffalo and never look back.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 270 TSX has become my go-to bullet with the 375 as well. As the late Don Heath once so elegantly put it " you don't need a bigger bullet, you just need a better bullet"

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know more than one African PH who recommends the 270 TSX as an all-around .375 bullet to their clients, because it shoots flatter than 300's--and also tends to stop under the hide on the far side of buffalo, a good thing when hunting herds, so a second buffalo doesn't get accidentally shot too. The 300 TSX's tend to exit more often.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
To the extent some of you are looking for .375 options that maximize the effective range, has anyone considered loading the new Barnes 270gr LRX in your .375s?

It's all copper, like the TSX, but is tipped, like the TTSX. It increases the 270gr TSX's B.C. from 0.326 to 0.449. According to my calculation, that means that a 270gr TSX leaving the muzzle at 2,700 fps would slow down to 2,170 fps at 200 yds, but a 270gr TSX launched at the same 2,700 fps MV would not fall to 2,170 fps until beyond 275 yds.

I know some traditionalists don't like the thought of a plastic tip, but I have had good results with the TTSX, and they are supposed to make the copper bullet open up more reliably at slower speeds than will the TSX.

Is there any downside to the LRX with its lower air resistance, given that it's an all-copper expanding Barnes bullet, like the TSX?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I do not want a tip in my dangerous game rifle. I recently used a 416 Rem with 350 gr TSX's in Zimbabwe as my buffalo and plains game rifle and had zero issues though only shot out to a bit over 200 yards. A 300+ yard shot is a no brainer. As I noted earlier the PH's I have used and spoken with highly recommend the TSX, TBBC and the A-Frame. I see no reason to doubt them.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's always interesting to hear about PH's recommending the TBBC and A-Frame, because they're the only two bullets I've actually seen "fail" to penetrate properly on buffalo. This does NOT mean they're not great bullets, but that any bullet can fail occasionally.

The first was a 300-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw from a .375 H&H Federal factory load. I was sitting with my hunting partner and two PH's near a herd of 30-some buffalo, including a mature herd bull that eventually stood broadside in the open, about 100 yards away. At the shot we all saw a dust cloud on the shoulder, perfect shot placement, and the bull bucked into the nearby thornbush. We waited an hour but didn't hear a death bellow, so started to follow-up, spread out about 50 feet from each other. Pretty soon I jumped a bull that ran away, but couldn't see any blood so didn't shoot. Upon investigating the tracks, however, we found a little blood, and since the brush was getting considerably thicker, the two PH's told us to stay behind while they and a tracker went after the bull. An hour later, the buffalo finally died from 10 solids, all from the rear, shot by a .416 Rigby and .458 Lott. Back at the skinning shed the original Bear Claw was recovered, perfectly expanded--but from the ribs on the SAME SIDE as the shoulder it entered. Our best guess was the shoulder bone caused to bullet to spin somehow, the reason it only entered one lung--and the reason the buffalo remained quite lively.

The A-Frames were also 300-grainers, started at about 2650 fps from a 9.3mm wildcat carried by my hunting partner, that apparently hadn't bonded. The first one hit a water buffalo's shoulder joint as the bull stood quartering toward us at 50 yards. After several more shots, including a couple solids from the .458 Lott the guide carried, the buffalo finally died. The first A-Frame had broken the shoulder, but was recovered against the ribcage, the rear core having broken through the partition. It retained just about exactly half its weight, and was about as flat as a bottle cap. Only one of the 300's made it through the ribs, the last one, fired between the shots from the .458 Lott.

Luckily neither buffalo charged. The Cape buffalo had plenty of opportunity to, but every time he was jumped went the other way.

Have seen nothing but great results from both bullets on other animals over the decades. But can also say the same about Partitions.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a significant stash of federal safari ammo with the 300 gr bear claws , as well as 300 gr partitions in.375 ... had been wondering if they were any good as I typically hear A frames and Tsx recommended as well

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Given the data it is more than interesting to see one repeatably push Nosler though given the hunts, well why not...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Big shrug. I've been on around 100 big game hunts in North America and other places, paid for by various entities including manufacturers, booking agents, outfitters, and my own bank account. Have done even more hunting on my own in Montana since taking my first big game animal here 50 years ago, including some guiding. This experience has allowed me to personally observe quite a few rifles, bullets, optics and other hunting products in action, and that experience has helped me considerably in my profession.

So far in this thread the "negative" opinions about Partitions have been second-hand quotes about which other bullets PH's recommend, but there haven't been any detailed examples of how Partitions failed. I'd be very interested in reading about specific examples, because am still eager to learn.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
I do not want a tip in my dangerous game rifle

There may be a good reason for that, but what is it? I can't understand yet what it is without further explanation.

While hunting for bear and others, I shot the huge moose in the attached three times in about five seconds with a 225gr TTSX in my .340 Wby (MV 3,160 per chrono; 3,050 fps at impact). Two zipped through the giant moose blowing large amounts of tissue and bone into jelly-like goo. The third attached recovered one did the same and was just under the far said pelt. I've shot hundreds of these tipped rounds in my .375 Wby; .340 Wby; .300 WM; 7mm Wby; .308 Win; .and 243 Win. Never has one failed. Is there any evidence that these ever can fail? They just are shot when fired and don't slow down as fast I think.

https://imgur.com/5OUz9dK

https://imgur.com/YyC01Na

https://imgur.com/0E4sXBP

Last edited by MarineHawk; 12/20/17.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Wait, wait! I had a 300gr Nosler "fail". I shot the south end of a north bound, previously shot bull moose. I found where the bullet came to rest in the neck meat after 4+ feet of penetration. That sucky bullet looked perfect except that it slipped its core. Looked like a normal expanded bullet but was obviously much lighter. It was a wonderful "failure"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Man, it's really hard to speak badly of Partitions. I've used them with great success but in my experience they tend to shoot less accurately than others and especially TSXs. I've shot buffalo (Cape) with the Swift (416 and 375) and while they shot extremely accurately, I agree with MD they don't tend to dig in as deep as others. To cut to the chase, if Partitions were to shoot well out of my 375 I would have 100% confidence in them, but given a choice, I'm am now in the TSX camp all the way.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by EdM
I do not want a tip in my dangerous game rifle

There may be a good reason for that, but what is it? I can't understand yet what it is without further explanation.

While hunting for bear and others, I shot the huge moose in the attached three times in about five seconds with a 225gr TTSX in my .340 Wby (MV 3,160 per chrono; 3,050 fps at impact). Two zipped through the giant moose blowing large amounts of tissue and bone into jelly-like goo. The third attached recovered one did the same and was just under the far said pelt. I've shot hundreds of these tipped rounds in my .375 Wby; .340 Wby; .300 WM; 7mm Wby; .308 Win; .and 243 Win. Never has one failed. Is there any evidence that these ever can fail? They just are shot when fired and don't slow down as fast I think.

https://imgur.com/5OUz9dK

https://imgur.com/YyC01Na

https://imgur.com/0E4sXBP

I also fail to see a problem with the TTSX, bullet. The larger hollow that is required for the post of the tip, increases the speed of expansion and improves the BC. A win, win any way you look at it, since the penetration is excellent to boot.

Last edited by jwp475; 12/21/17.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.