Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Vehicle is a 2012 Jetta GLi - 2 liter turbo

I'm getting a P0301 code - misfire on cylinder 1

Only I never noticed it while driving. Just now however, after getting the code read and doing an oil change, sure enough it started idling rough.

Add some throttle, or get it under load and voila! Nice and smooth again.

This doesn't sound like coilpack or a plug issue to me, as generally don't those issues get worse under load?

Clogged injector maybe?

I'm thinking about swapping the coilpack from cyl 1 to a different cylinder to see if the problem moves with the pack.

Other thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your going at it correctly.

Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
This doesn't sound like coilpack or a plug issue to me, as generally don't those issues get worse under load?

Not always.

I'm thinking about swapping the coilpack

eliminate the plug the same way.

Last edited by 12344mag; 12/21/17.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
IAC valve

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Plug and wire......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Calling Badger,calling Badger.

Try the cheapest thing first.

If you can zero the code and run it to see if it happens again.

I had a 97 dodge that had misfire codes and they had to replace the plugs in that cylinder two times before it quit.

Swapping parts is one way to find fault.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Never mind what I said just reread where it was a misfire on cyl 1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You don't say how old the plugs are but I'd start there.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A quick search brings up several threads about the same issue with people that have the same or close to the same model.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, it get's more interesting.

I just swapped coil packs between 1 and 2, then threw on a different reader.

The car is now idling and running just fine...

But now, instead of just a single code being read, there's a history of 7.

Looks like there's just a general 0300 code, as well as a couple 301s, 303s and 304s.

I cleared the history and will drive a bit more and see what happens.

Oh, and 55K on the odometer, so could be plugs, but I think coil packs are more likely. Now at 100K, plugs would be my first guess.

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 12/21/17. Reason: Added odometer reading.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Try plugs first, wires second

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't think I've had a plug go bad since I was riding around on a Kawasaki triple. Dig down through the codes. Bet its either an air leak somewhere, or the coil pack.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The car's computer is going 10011110011100111 instead of 11011110011100111. I hate it when that happens.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Only I never noticed it while driving. Just now however, after getting the code read and doing an oil change, sure enough it started idling rough.

Clogged injector maybe?

I'm thinking about swapping the coilpack from cyl 1 to a different cylinder to see if the problem moves with the pack.

Other thoughts?

Scott,

Loosen the oil filler cap when the car is idling and see how easy it is to lift up off the valve cover. If it takes a lot of effort, then it's likely that the crankcase vent valve has a punctured diaphragm. This will cause a lean running condition, especially at idle, as the car is getting "unmetered air" from the crankcase. if you do find this to be the case, get it fixed pronto. The rear main seals on these engines are "bonded" to a metal carrier plate, and excess crankcase vacuum will suck that seal right off the plate. That's when it starts to get expensive.

Last edited by badger; 12/21/17.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

You have the right Idea, switch high voltage parts one at a time to another cylinder
see what part makes problem go to other cylinder. Do easy cheap things first.
Change spark plugs. Clear computer drive 50 to 100 miles recheck codes. If
still have multiple codes check for vacuum leaks. Then check fuel pressure.
May need a better scantool after that. If car has 100K with original plugs
change plugs first.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ignore Guntruck50 and listen to Badger, Badger knows German stuff.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just knew he would see the signal. laugh

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger

Clogged injector maybe?

Other thoughts?

Scott,

Loosen the oil filler cap when the car is idling and see how easy it is to lift up off the valve cover. If it takes a lot of effort, then it's likely that the crankcase vent valve has a punctured diaphragm. This will cause a lean running condition, especially at idle, as the car is getting "unmetered air" from the crankcase. if you do find this to be the case, get it fixed pronto. The rear main seals on these engines are "bonded" to a metal carrier plate, and excess crankcase vacuum will suck that seal right off the plate. That's when it starts to get expensive.

Lifting the oil filler cap off took no real effort when idling, but right now the car is running flawlessly. 160 plus miles this evening and no new code. The engine does idle rougher when the cap is off, but didn't throw a code.

With the whole slew of codes occurring, it does seem like something more systemic than a single coil pack or plug. Can the crankcase vent valve fail by sticking ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger

Clogged injector maybe?

Other thoughts?

Scott,

Lifting the oil filler cap off took no real effort when idling, but right now the car is running flawlessly. 160 plus miles this evening and no new code. The engine does idle rougher when the cap is off, but didn't throw a code.

With the whole slew of codes occurring, it does seem like something more systemic than a single coil pack or plug. Can the crankcase vent valve fail by sticking ?

More likely a pin-hole in the rubber diaphragm of the valve, Scott. If you have a shop that can smoke test the crankcase, you'll know for sure. It may be in the early stages of failure. Typical lifespan of those valves is 70-110k miles, so you're in the ballpark. The O2 sensors can compensate for quite a lot, but sometimes, particularly at idle, they become overwhelmed and the lean run condition will create misfires. The ignition coils are definitely suspect and do fail often on these engines, and a simple test would be to swop the offending cylinder's coil with another and see if the misfire follows the coil. I suspect though, that you may have a vacuum leak, and the CCV is the prime suspect.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm hoping you're right, and it's not the main seal already. I did some more digging, and I think something is up with crankcase ventilation, as in the past few days, I'd get the occasional whiff of burnt oil.

So, VAICO brand? Are they the cheap Chinese knock-off, or the actual supplier to VW worldwide? If the former, I'll just pop for OEM. If the latter, why buy the parts that VW rebrands and sells at a premium?

Replace the intake breather hose at the same time?

Many thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Scott

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope on Vaico. Chinese aftermarket. Use the OEM valve. Good idea to replace the breather hose too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,321
Posts18,468,449
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.