Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TDN Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have always had the itch for a light, trim 20ga double to add to my safe. For the past 20 years or so (since I was old enough to hunt) I've got by with various 870s and 1100s and 10 years ago my father gifted me a Beretta Urika 2 Gold 12ga for a wedding present. It has been my go-to gun for all clays and occasional upland and waterfowl hunts.
I enjoy shooting it and hit well with it, but aside from my continual hankering for a double 20, I have a friend who wants take me up to N. Michigan for some birds in the tighter trees so a 26" barreled 20 sounds ideal.

I am planning to head to the local shops and swing a few and shoot some clays with the range guns if possible, but I would love a bit of input here.
Budget is up to $1,500ish

Ideally I am after a 26", English-stocked (POW is second choice) SxS, with choke tubes... but IC/MOD could work.
I am eyeballing some used or new old stock CZ Bobwhite and Ringnecks that seem attractive on price and features, but I am not sure about long term reliability or ease of repair if needed. Are there some other SxS options used or new that might be in this price range?

I've also come across a few used Citoris with 26" tubes and POW grips that could work. Even though it’s O/U. Although I don’t like an English gripped o/u.

26” tubes, English or POW is what I’m after though.

Any thoughts, gents? Or better... anyone out there have a 20ga they'd part with or a line on one?

Thanks!

Last edited by TDN; 12/22/17.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Have you looked at the Charles Daly made in Turkey?
https://www.charlesdaly.com/p.php?id=165

Academy also sells a budget sxs made in Turkey. I've looked at this one and it seems kind of loose compared to my Beretta Silverhawk.
https://www.academy.com/shop/Produc...&storeId=10151#repChildCatid=1600851

I would also look for a used Beretta.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/708954734

Last edited by Whiptail; 12/22/17.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have shot bad enough this fall that I am thinking of making a change. SxS or O/U. Lot of great options out there in the $1500 range. Will follow along to see what you end up with. Kind of liking the Citoris myself and thinking with a 1" pad the LOP might be about right for me.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Look for a used SKB 200E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This Dickinson is also interesting and looks closer to what you want.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DKNS-SXS-SHOTGUNS/1790642.uts?slotId=2

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've had the Dickinson in 16 gauge for about 3 years now, so far no problems. After spending 50 years with 870s and a 1100, I found I shot better with a slight weight forward bias. The 28" barrels on the Dickinson comes closer to that than the 25-26" barrels on many doubles.
The only cfhanges I'd like, a hinged front trigger for heavier loads and when wearing gloves in cold weather. The extractors don't raise the shells out of the chambers quite far enough to get a good grip on them when unfired. The ejectors are STRONG, makes opening the action a little harder than on some guns.
I really like the gun despite the things I listed above, I'd buy again with no problem.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
+1 on the SKB 200E or 280E if you want a straight grip.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would look for a V Bernardelli Gamecock or perhaps an Ugartechea. Those will be about the highest quality SXS in your price range that I know of other than the SKB's suggested so far. Below are some resources.
http://gun.home.cyberverse.com/

I did not know until i started looking just now because of this thread but it seems that SKB since it's demise is now being made in Turkey. Personally,I would look for an older Japanese made gun if buying an SKB.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 12/23/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whiptail

This Dickinson is also interesting and looks closer to what you want.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/DKNS-SXS-SHOTGUNS/1790642.uts?slotId=2

Those are on my radar for a near time purchase if I can scrape up I the cash next spring. So far I’ve heard nothing but decent praises on them.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remember "most" folks do not shoot a SXS very well until it is properly fitted.

Example: On a SXS with neutral cast I look down the left barrel, which causes the pattern to be at least 4inches left at 16 yards. Most right hand shooters need some bit of "cast off" while left hand shooters need some "cast on".

Sure you can fool yourself by aiming your SXS; but in the field your natural mount is what scores. Try aiming on a skeet field and see how many hits you score.

Last year I scored on a high end SXS because the owner could not shoot it. He was right handed and the SXS was set up with a slight cast on. I bought it and had it fitted. I shoot it like a dream.

Save some money for the fitting.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reba
Remember "most" folks do not shoot a SXS very well until it is properly fitted.

Example: On a SXS with neutral cast I look down the left barrel, which causes the pattern to be at least 4inches left at 16 yards.

I guess I am reading this wrong, but if I where to look down the left barrel of a side by side I would expect my pattern to be hitting right not left. What am I missing? Also I always understood right hand shooters to have cast on not cast off. I am so confused.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Cast OFF is for Right hand shooters. And Cast ON is for leftys (I am one). Learned this the hard way. Many S/S guns come from the factory with some cast OFF. You can blame the British for this confusing terminology. Which is your master eye?

Also agree with the advice above to look for a Vencinzo Bernardelli or Ugartechea 20 bore doublegun. Both made better guns than the other ones mentioned above, except for the SKBs from Japan. Sadly, both V. Bernardelli and Uggi have closed their doors now. I have owned several from both makers and these makers are not well known and underappreciated too.

Last edited by Natty_Bumpo; 12/24/17. Reason: Addl Info

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Your eye is the rear sight. Move it left and the POI moves left. Same as if you moved the rear sight on a rifle left.

Cast off is for righty’s.

Barrels should be long and lean. 28’s (Take note of the barrel length on the Dickinson) 26in to save you from hitting trees is a myth. If you are going to bounce the gun off a tree it will probably be closer to the middle of the barrels.

Dickinson may be history in 3years. Good guns, but these imports have a track record of not selling enough to hang around.

Until you get some experience in the Grouse woods a SxS will not put more Birds in the vest.

Last edited by battue; 12/24/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can never remember which cast is what. I know how it should be but I always get the terms backwards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By this book: The Orvis Guide to Gunfitting by Tom Deck in it the Churchill Method is explained.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't over look some 12ga's also. This is a 5 LB 15 oz 12ga V. Bermardelli 25" barrels choked IC IM with a taperred Churchil Rib makes the barrels seem much longer than they are. I shoot 7/8 and 1 oz loads in it for all my upland hunting, never felt under gunned even on wild pheasants and what a pleasure to pack all day.

[Linked Image]

I also own a CZ Bobwhite in 20ga 26", it has worked well for me shooting steel.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to take a look at this, sounds perfect and pretty classy.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,222401.0.html

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by erich
You might want to take a look at this, sounds perfect and pretty classy.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,222401.0.html

Someone needs to jump on this. If I was local or he would ship. I’d buy this in a second.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Cast OFF is for Right hand shooters. And Cast ON is for leftys (I am one). Learned this the hard way. Many S/S guns come from the factory with some cast OFF. You can blame the British for this confusing terminology. Which is your master eye?

Also agree with the advice above to look for a Vencinzo Bernardelli or Ugartechea 20 bore doublegun. Both made better guns than the other ones mentioned above, except for the SKBs from Japan. Sadly, both V. Bernardelli and Uggi have closed their doors now. I have owned several from both makers and these makers are not well known and underappreciated too.

I'll agree with this as well. I have sold some Bernadelli's years ago, and do most of my hunting with a Uggie 28 ga Grade II. I also have a very nice 20 ga Rizinni/ Fausti DEA SL which has choke tubes. It is a great shotgun, but a little pricey new. I wouldn't put much stock in the idea that most don't shoot a sxs well without it fitting you. You can't shoot any shotgun well that doesn't fit, has nothing to do with sxs. On a good day I can break 100 on the skeet field with my Fausti, a 6 pound sxs with 26 in barrels. The Italian guns will tend to shoot a little higher (straighter stocks) as a rule which suits me.

B
B
I have 20 gauge Beretta 471 Silverhawk 28” with Briley chokes if interested

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

597 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,683
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.