-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the VX-2 1-4X20, VX-3i 1.5-5X20, and the FX-II 2.5X20 on short-range woods rifles.

The 2.5 is the most rugged, but the eyebox is harder to get settled into. Not hard, just not as easy as the other two. Also less FOV than the two variables when on low power, still good, but less. Eye relief is very generous. It's also the lightest.

The VX-2 is shorter and lighter than the 3i, FOV slightly more one low power, but the 3i has just a tad more magnification, though there is no real field difference. Glass may be a touch better with the 3i.

In my mind, the combination of lightness, eye relief, FOV, size, ease of use, and glass quality make the VX-2 the best value, but real world differences aren't that great. I presently own all three.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Pretty much any shotgun scope or Close Quarter Combat scope...or a Red Dot.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Originally Posted by ingwe
Take a look at the Sig Sauer Whiskey3 3-9x40 with the HellFire TriPlex reticle. It’s essentially a #4 (ish) reticle with an illuminated red center dot. Price is nice, too.

I'm about to try one of those for some night predator hunting next month.

Please report your findings when you get a chance. I would love to hear your thoughts.

I am intrigued by SIG’s offerings and the scattered feedback out there seems to be positive.

The few I’ve looked through (including one Whiskey5) have been worth further investigation.

I have 2 Whiskey 5's with illuminated reticle and so far so good really liking them....how they hold up will be the determining factor

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
VX3 1.5 - 5

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Leupold VX 2, 3, and a Bushnell Trophy back in the day. The issue will be seeing the crosshairs on a black target at the end of daylight. Go to Cabelas and try out a few. I hunted this year with a Burris E1 3-9x40. I'd consider that scope or their E1 2-7x35 with Burris Plex. I really like the Burris E1. So far they've been true to zero and stay zeroed. I've hunted them hard for 16-17 hunts since November and have taken some falls. I've shot them a couple of times - no zero shift. So far, so good.

Last edited by bwinters; 12/20/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by ingwe
Take a look at the Sig Sauer Whiskey3 3-9x40 with the HellFire TriPlex reticle. It’s essentially a #4 (ish) reticle with an illuminated red center dot. Price is nice, too.

I'm about to try one of those for some night predator hunting next month.

Please report your findings when you get a chance. I would love to hear your thoughts.

I am intrigued by SIG’s offerings and the scattered feedback out there seems to be positive.

The few I’ve looked through (including one Whiskey5) have been worth further investigation.

I have 2 Whiskey 5's with illuminated reticle and so far so good really liking them....how they hold up will be the determining factor

You don't hunt much........ grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Pretty much any shotgun scope or Close Quarter Combat scope...or a Red Dot.

A generalized statement that is very true.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tkinak
My top pics that I have experience with would be a VX-R 2-7x33 or a 1-6 VX-6 which if I was shopping I'd gravitate to because they are on sale for $558 2-12's only $100 more. The extra 10% of expires 20th

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-vx-6-rifle-scope-1-6x24mm-duplex-116-19-3-8-matte.html

VX-6 glass is better, which would be an issue in dim light.

DF

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I wish Bushnell had not discontinued the Elite 6500 Series 1.25-8x32mm scope.

Seven years ago, I picked that one above all others I considered for short/long-range bear hunts: https://imgur.com/tWMO09m

I think it's ideal given that it can go all the way down to almost 1:1 ratio and all the way up to 8-power. It has 5" of eye relief, so my .375 Wby does make it smack me in the eye.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I used a Vortex Strikefire on a 336 35 Rem. Worked so good I left it on and use it for Hogs.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ever think about good old open sights. Short range and dark screams open sights to me.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm no bear hunting expert, but I shot my first one this year at about 50 feet. Leupold 2-12x42 with illuminated LR duplex. I had plenty of FOV at 2 power, and shot him in the head with a 110TTSX (black bear, Forbes 270). I've settled on this as a very hard to beat all-around scope. I don't ever see myself needing less than two power for FOV. I don't think I'll need more than 12x either. That illuminated little red dot in the center is awfully nice in the dark timber. And the LR duplex allows me to make hits out quite a ways without worrying about a hunting scope tracking correclty. A very versatile 'set it and forget it' scope.

Last edited by slm9s; 12/21/17.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I used to just use the Redfield sight on my 35. But was hard to see at last light. There are no shooting hours for pigs !

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by old_willys
Thinking about it now I will take a look at scopes with illuminated reticle and a larger objective.

thanks

I've got a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with the illuminated Ballistic FireDot reticle. I bought it because of a situation that arose last year while trying to hit an elk in the neck at last light. It's probably just about perfect for what you need.

See Page 1 of https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-or-outta-buying-this-scope#Post12469668 for my comments on it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by old_willys
Thinking about it now I will take a look at scopes with illuminated reticle and a larger objective.

thanks

I've got a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 with the illuminated Ballistic FireDot reticle. I bought it because of a situation that arose last year while trying to hit an elk in the neck at last light. It's probably just about perfect for what you need.

See Page 1 of https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-or-outta-buying-this-scope#Post12469668 for my comments on it.

Okie John

+1 on the VXR. This scope isn't talked about much, but mine has held zero and tracked well. The illuminated dot is very adjustable and works well.

Good scope IMOP.

Lefty

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
From packing rifles all over BC and much of Alberta, since 1964, working in bear country often solo, I prefer the Leupy 1.75x6 MHD to any other scope for most purposes.

I have about 50 scopes, Swaro, Zeiss, B&L, Bushnell, Leupy and some Euro models and after about 150 rifles over 50+ years, drilling, combo guns, levers, autoloaders and most makes of bolt guns plus singleshots, I still take the Leupy for almost all my hunting.

For Black Bears, you CANNOT shoot here after 1/2 hour past sunset OR before sunrise and this Leupy works just fine then, BTDT, many times. I like a pair of these in Talley QDS for each of my favourite rifles and never have had an issue in 22 years of using them. HTH.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.