Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Cabela's has some ziess conquest's on closeout for almost 50% off. If they had exposed elevation knobs I'd own one.

Very interesting that Cabela’s has some old Conquest scopes available. Meopta hasn’t made those in several years and Zeiss now markets a Chinese POS called the Terra as the Conquest’s replacement.

The don't have any old Conquests. The scopes on sale are of the HD5 series. Also, the Terra is not made in China. That's a rumor that has been floating around for a while. The Terra scopes are assembled in Japan.

BP-B2

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Blackheart
According to the campfire's resident expert there are NO hunting scopes currently on the market that will reliably hold zero, track or return to zero. If you want a scope that will, you'll have to buy a big, heavy, tactical scope with a reticle that looks like some punk scratched graffiti all over your objective lens.

Truth

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This has me ready to retire!!! I’m scared to hunt anymore!!! All I have is leupold glass!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Cabela's has some ziess conquest's on closeout for almost 50% off. If they had exposed elevation knobs I'd own one.

Very interesting that Cabela’s has some old Conquest scopes available. Meopta hasn’t made those in several years and Zeiss now markets a Chinese POS called the Terra as the Conquest’s replacement.

The don't have any old Conquests. The scopes on sale are of the HD5 series. Also, the Terra is not made in China. That's a rumor that has been floating around for a while. The Terra scopes are assembled in Japan.

The Zeiss Terra rifle scopes are made in Japan, the Terra binos are made in China

OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Judman
This has me ready to retire!!! I’m scared to hunt anymore!!! All I have is leupold glass!!!

You can always give up. Lol

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OdT

Or just keep “luckily” killin stuff!!! But my days are numbered obviously!!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OdT

Or just keep “luckily” killin stuff!!! But my days are numbered obviously!!! Grin

Unpossible! You need more expensive gear to do that today. Read all about it, right here.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh DT, you know better than that!!! Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
OdT Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oh DT, you know better than that!!! Grin

Haha! Equipment junkies are the worst junkies. They always need better junk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or different junk.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm there too!
Merry Christmas.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'd put a Sightron SII Big Sky beside a VX3. I can't tell any difference between a 3.5-10 Leupold and a 3-12 Sightron.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep. Apparently, the only scopes that work are those preferred by tacti-cool mall ninjas who live in their parents’ basements and play video games. If it doesn’t have a tactic-cool name like “NIGHTFORCE” or “SUPER SNIPER” it will not work in the woods or on the plains or in the bushveldt.

to the original poster, the NF SHV 3-10 x 42 with a forceplex reticle is a 20 ounce device, while the Leupold 3xi 3.5-10 x 42 is a 13.5 ounce device, wonder why the extra weight?. There is a lot of misplaced emotion out there regards hunting optics however people who are objective understand the logic behind an aiming device that simply does what its supposed to do without hiccups. I have broken Kahles, Zeiss, Leupold, and one 1-4 SWFA scope. I have chased my tail trying to sight a rifle in and questioned my sanity trying everything to figure out "why I or the rifle" did not shoot or could not shoot. Now that I own 3 rifle scopes that are simply right, I am educated as to what "right" is and why I don't want to guess or hunt with something I lack confidence in. Of all the rifle scopes that I have broken, Leupold is the only brand that has broken on its own (4), and (sold one mdl 7 308 with one on it because it would not shoot) without me dropping it.

Remember where there is smoke then there is probably fire, don't let anyone that "does not know what they don't know" talk you into wasting your money. I need a new scope for a deer rifle and am going to put a 20 ounce SHV on a Kimber Montana next year. Why "guess" and lose confidence in your skills or your rifle when you can be sure for $800.00

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I must just be lucky but I've used Leupold scopes all over the world including dangerous game many times. Leupold has never, not once let me down. I've used Swarovski & Zeiss as well but for the $$ and flat out durability Leupold is tough to beat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a vx3 and really like it though the adjustments could be firmer. It is a damn fine scope and not a vx3i. I don't know how cheaper scope scan have such solid clicks and more expensive ones be mushy but I see it all the time. I have a mushy Burris too- love both but the clicks can't compare to my Meopta. I had a Sightron S2 3-12, hated it and wasn't alone . Worst eye relief ever- but it wasn't a Big Sky so I can't comment on those models. I do think the problem was inherit in that one particular model and not across the board with Sightron. Would love a Tract and I think a Tekoa which is second tier would be comparable although now with the addition of new lines are about as confusing as Leupolds ..

But when you can get a Meopta Meopro 3-9x40 for $349 it sort of makes it a no brainer for me as a recommendation within this price point. I didn't list the seller because they aren't a sponsor but have bought from them before and was pleased.

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/24/17.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The SHV with a Forceplex pretty much ticks all the boxes for me with only a slight weight penalty. The price is in line with the quality. Not in the market now, but if and when I am due to failures, new acquisitions, or itchy feet, that's how I plan to go, if resources allow. If money's tight, I'll give a FFII a shot as a set 'n forget.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Best as I can figure, the Tekoa is cheaper than the Torics because it's a 4x variable and lacks ED glass. So far, so good with mine, and I was very pleased with the view in the woods the other day in some pretty gloomy weather, right up until dark. It is pretty heavy for a 1" scope, and pretty large. Once I work up a suitably accurate load for the rifle it's on now, I'll check the tracking again just for grins, but as long as it stays put once adjusted, I'll be happy.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I put a VX II 2-7 x 40 on my Ruger No. 1 6mm in 1986, despite being hauled hundreds of miles on 3 and. 4 wheelers, it's still dead on at 100 yards and I haven't taken the caps off the turrets since I mounted it.

Last edited by Borchardt; 12/24/17.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Im consodering the Tract Turion myself. Looks to still have the Schott Glass but a wire reticle instead of the etched that the Tekoa has. Also weighs 15oz in the 3-9 which makes them a bit more comparable to the VX3i and Meopta in weight.

I also saw the Meopta on sale for $349 and thats really hard to pass up as well. So many options and too little money!

Last edited by Motown; 12/24/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OdT
Originally Posted by Blackheart
According to the campfire's resident expert there are NO hunting scopes currently on the market that will reliably hold zero, track or return to zero. If you want a scope that will, you'll have to buy a big, heavy, tactical scope with a reticle that looks like some punk scratched graffiti all over your objective lens.
Truth
Quality scopes should also have badass, extreme names; i.e. "Razor," "Diamondback," "Super Sniper," "Strike Eagle," "Whiskey," etc. And badass, extreme logos to put on your pickup and copy into a tattoo on your bicep or neck. And the tube diameter MUST be metric. Extreme badasses NEVER talk inches.

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.