Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image]

Tire chain side bar chain, the "T", welded to keep cattle from rubbing the chain off.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, that there is awfully fancy stuff. I am more used to a loop of wire attached to the last of a series of "posts" (either old weathered boards or lengths of dead branches) that have three strands of barbed wire attached to them that you have to strain (after untwisting the whole damned mess after it was unhooked and lost tension) to hook over an end post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll try to post a picture of one our "uptown" wire gates.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
[Linked Image]

Fine example of Southern Engineering! laugh

We call it something else sometimes... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But it Works!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have used to light a pipe in the past, and they bent. The welded loops keep the wire from sliding. The cheater pipe lets us keep a tighter gate, and still be able t open. and close by hand.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have used to light a pipe in the past, and they bent. The welded loops keep the wire from sliding. The cheater pipe lets us keep a tighter gate, and still be able t open. and close by hand.

Those are good for a tight, wire gap gate... Unless a big ranch uses that setup for all the damn gates on the ranch, and you have to open and close about 10-12 of them to get to the back of the ranch. wink

(I used to have to hunt ranches like that..) frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I just missed out on 150 creosote Dierks line posts. $4 each. Sold before I could call. Sour grapes?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I just missed out on 150 creosote Dierks line posts. $4 each. Sold before I could call. Sour grapes?

Well, you could go out back and have a nice, quiet cry if that would help. grin

Coming back from South Texas earlier this week I passed a place selling 8' cedar line posts for $4.00 each and corner/H-posts for $6.00 each. Fella had a pile of line posts probably 30' long and 6'-8' tall. Corner/H-posts were about half that many.
Line posts were ~ 4" in diameter and the corner/H-posts were ~ 6"- 8" in diameter. Best price I've seen in a while.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
We also need to deal with things like this. Broke off rotted post. I pulled out nicely, a lag bolt through a chain. The hole was too big for the first post we tried for a replacement. [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
[Linked Image]

Fine example of Southern Engineering! laugh

We call it something else sometimes... wink

Hmmmm............Afro-engineering?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Well, you could go out back and have a nice, quiet cry if that would help. grin

Coming back from South Texas earlier this week I passed a place selling 8' cedar line posts for $4.00 each and corner/H-posts for $6.00 each. Fella had a pile of line posts probably 30' long and 6'-8' tall. Corner/H-posts were about half that many.
Line posts were ~ 4" in diameter and the corner/H-posts were ~ 6"- 8" in diameter. Best price I've seen in a while.

Ed

Around here everyone just uses hedge(Osage Orange) for wooden posts. I've got more than a few acres of cedar I've been wanting to clear, many of them well over 15ft tall, 8-10" bases. Never heard of anyone around here using it for anything but woodworking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted by Ole_270

Around here everyone just uses hedge(Osage Orange) for wooden posts. I've got more than a few acres of cedar I've been wanting to clear, many of them well over 15ft tall, 8-10" bases. Never heard of anyone around here using it for anything but woodworking.

Most "cedar posts" down here are actually mountain juniper. That stuff last a long while as fence posts. Some cedar posts don't last quite as long, but are still pretty good. Better than some treated posts.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ole_270

I know those KS cedars burn like they was soaked in gasoline when burning a pasture!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you need chain, PM me your address and I’ll send you a flat rate box full of chain.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I like making useful items from the scrap pile. Thanks any whey. Perhaps another time?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As long as I can remember White oak and Black and Honey locust posts were used in line fences, but city folks started moving in and they insist on treated posts when they pay. In fact, one city guy got on the town board and wanted a town ordinance to mandate treated posts.

Last edited by roundoak; 12/24/17.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.