Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Here in Texas we can take 5 deer on our tag. For the first time in years I've used four tags. I have a dandy 10 pt. at the hill country lease. Season runs through 1/7/18. At the south Texas lease there is a big 12 pt. that I'd luv to nail. Season there runs till 1/21/18. So don't be surprised if I come up with a few more pix.

Anywho, Merry Christmas to one and all!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It appears you have received a fine Christmas gift early with the found knives and conclusion of "The Claw". Congrats on all fronts and Happy Birthday as well as a Merry Christmas to you. Looking forward to the Coup De Gras with tag # 5!

Merry Christmas to all you other guys as well!

twofish

*Master of random precision*
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
geedubya

I read most of your posts and I used this picture to show a fella I know that makes customs.
I asked if he could come up with something similar to give to my son as a graduation gift when he became a Marine on Nov 9, 2017.
I presented it to him when we got back home to Colorado following the ceremony.

I think he liked it as he hasn't taken it off his belt since.
Glad you found your old friend.

Merry Christmas

BTW, I forgot to mention another B-day serendipity!

Birthday morning I was running my snares. I was at a place I call the creekbed when I was walking between sets and saw a very bright glint/reflection of the sun. Sometimes water on a depression on a flat rock will throw off a reflection, but this looked more like bright steel or glass. I walked over and lo and behold what did I spy. It was my favorite EDC that I purchased from VinceM here on 24hour campfire when he did a group buy. I carried that knife and took pictures of it in 5 northeastern states. I lost it out of a cross draw sheath two years ago at my deer lease.

We've had numerous floods that move 200 lb boulders along that creekbed. I was Jazzed.

I called Vince today to tell him the story and asked him if he had any cocobolo. He said that if he remembered correctly he had a piece that was from the original. I'm sending it back to him next week and have him rescale it.

As it was in October of 2014. This photo was taken near Lebanon NY, across from Pittsfield Mass. where we were staying.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dennis81082; 12/25/17.
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dennis81082

Thanks for that. We had our family Christmas yesterday.

Today I could not have received a better gift than your post. Tell your son thanks for his service

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

Best,

GWB

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
geedubya

This is the knife I had made for my son. It has the EGA etched on one side.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mighty fine!
I know he will treasure it!

Good stuff!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent job removing the backstraps. Cool knife, you have others I like more. I like the option to drive a point with my palm.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That is one pretty rifle.
I'm sure since it is a Styer that it is very good fit, but how different is the feel of the European style stock compared to our stock design?

I like the group of one shot from a cold bore.

Years ago when the the big argument was how many shots in a group to show how accurate a rifle was, 3,4 5,10 shots were topic of heated debate.
O' Connor stated what I have always gone with . . .

5 one shot groups on different days with different rests . . . He opined in that column, that the shot that truly counted in the field was the first one down the barrel.

It made sense to me then, and always has.

Last edited by LouisB; 12/29/17.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sir,

I used to post much more in forums in regards to reloading/shooting etc. Kinda got tired of the arguments. I've reloaded for something like 82 different chamberings IIRC. From 17 Ackley Hornet to 458 Lott, and have had rifles/pistols, sometimes multiples for each and every one. I no longer weight sort brass, trim to length, uniform primer pockets/flash holes. I even shoot factory loads when they are given to me free. When I do load development (and I don't do as much as I've done that for 25 years or so and have developed a number of "go to" loads pretty much across the spectrum of the chamberings I shoot) I may try four different primers on a load, three to 5 load densities, three to five bullets etc. I shoot all over a chrony and usually 5 shot groups.

To give an idea, same bullet, same load density trickled to 1/10th of a grain, same COAL, six different primers.

[Linked Image]

These groups were shot about 5 minutes apart and no cleaning the barrel between first shot and last. Another of my pet peaves, I think most folks over-clean. I figure a guy out to get at least 75 shots out of a hunting gun before accuracy even begins to degrade. I get a kick out of watching guys come out to the range, fire three shots and clean, then fire three or 5 shots and clean. Then they get pissed cause they cant get their rifle to group the way they expect. IMHO, its takes a number or rounds to "foul in" a barrel.

However, once I've chosen a load based on the accracy/velocity quotient, I will zero at 100 or 200 yds.

As I rarely get more than one shot where I hunt, I'm much more concerned about the POI, first shot out of a cold barrrel.

I've not read O'Connor, but I've long postulated that a better test of a hunting rifle in regards to accuracy, would be to go on five different days and shoot one shot at the same target, and same distance using different rests.

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

as to stock styles, I'm a rifle slut, not particulary recoil sensitive and do all my practicing with my rifle set up in a lead sled with 40 lbs of weights so as to not develop a flinch. I've not done a subjective test on a rifle of similar weight and same caliber but with different stock styles so I can not answer that question.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/29/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
GW, I’m just seeing this thread. I’m glad you found your knife—the Gods were smiling on you!

Happy birthday my friend!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kingston
GW, I’m just seeing this thread. I’m glad you found your knife—the Gods were smiling on you!

Happy birthday my friend!

Hopefully it will set the tone for the new year.

BTW,

here is wishing you and yours health, wealth and joy in the coming new year. I'm looking forward to seeing you in March!

ya!

GWB

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Likewise and back at ya! I smile at the thought!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW: It sort of looks like you’re getting ready for Gordon’s Cup.

smile

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by kingston
BTW: It sort of looks like you’re getting ready for Gordon’s Cup.

smile

nah'

I'm not much of a shooter.
ya!

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’m liking that knife!

Gwb - is that the smaller model (3.25” blade ) or larger one (3.6” blade)?

In regards to the white river Fisk..

Great pics. Thanks.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Geedubya,

Congratulations on getting a tough buck on your birthday and finding two cherished knives. I hope your 2018 continues that way.

Best to you

Frank

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (22kHornet, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 3,217 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,532
Posts18,452,920
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.