Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I need new cleaning media and am wondering if there is a difference between walnut and corncob in usage? Looking at the packaging it seems walnut is dustier than I recall corncob being but that may be a faulty memory. I've always used corncob but the local shop has only walnut on hand.

I use my tumbler for general cleaning if the brass is dirty. I'll toss the dirty brass in the tumbler and turn it on for a couple of hours to clean. Lately I have been using Hornady One Shot as a lube and I have used the tumbler for cleaning after sizing.

So, is there any reason to use the one over the other or is there no difference? I don't need to make a decision immediately but I'll be putting in an order soon and would add corncob media to the order if necessary.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walnut cleans quicker, but won't put as high a shine on the brass as corn cob. I don't polish, I clean, so I use walnut.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for the explanation. I think I'm going to stick with corncob as the walnut appears to be "dirtier" based on how the bag looks. It's probably the stain in the shells and I can see me leaving finger prints all over.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had good results using walnut media with Frankford Arsenal Brass Polish for vibratory case tumblers. I add 2 or 3 teaspoons of the brass polish to the tumbler bowl each time I clean a batch of cases. Don't mean to sound like a commercial, but the polish does not contain ammonia or other additives that can be harmful to the brass. It also shortens the tumbling time needed to get a good shine. Works great for me.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I LIKE THE WALNUT WITH THE RED ROUGE IN IT FOR THROUGH CLEANING. IT DOES LEAVE A FILM THOUGH. THEN I FOLLOW UP WITH CORN COB FOR FINAL CLEANING.

EXCUSE ALL CAPS. HAD RT SHOULDER REPLACED AND I AM TYPING LEFT HANDED, ONE FINGER

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some of that Lyman walnut with the red rouge once. It left a mess of rouge residue all over the brass inside and out. So like you, I had to tumble again in clean media to remove the rouge. Why do twice what should take once? I washed all the rouge off the walnut so I could use it up.

Are you cleaning brass or making jewelry? I want the dirt and loose carbon removed and an hour in walnut will do that and polish some. I haven't found the walnut any more dusty than corn cob and it holds up better.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used the crushed walnut litter folks use for their reptile pets. It's cheaper than the reloading media and fine enough not to get jammed in primer holes. I usually add a squirt of liquid car wax. My brass comes out nice and shiny.

Dan

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the lizzard bedding, I got tired of digging media out of flash holes. If I add anything it is Mother's Mag Wheel Polish and then only a pea size lump. Lately I have been using my wet tumbler with just Dawn and Lemi-shine no SS pins, it gets the cases nice and clean and no media mess or pins stuck sideways in primer pockets.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Lots of things work but For bright shiney brass I like corn cob media with a few capfulls of Cabelas brass polish.......This combo makes for some beautiful brass indeed....Good luck....Hb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would use stainless steel pins then corn cob with either Iosso or car polish added. Much faster.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I need new cleaning media and am wondering if there is a difference between walnut and corncob in usage? Looking at the packaging it seems walnut is dustier than I recall corncob being but that may be a faulty memory. I've always used corncob but the local shop has only walnut on hand.

I use my tumbler for general cleaning if the brass is dirty. I'll toss the dirty brass in the tumbler and turn it on for a couple of hours to clean. Lately I have been using Hornady One Shot as a lube and I have used the tumbler for cleaning after sizing.

So, is there any reason to use the one over the other or is there no difference? I don't need to make a decision immediately but I'll be putting in an order soon and would add corncob media to the order if necessary.

I use corn cob as it is lighter than walnut and agitates easier.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a tumbler. Never used it before. I have both corncob (lyman) and walnut (frankford).

Just wondering how the Lyman stuff works if you dont had any brass polish or other cleaner ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Owl
I just bought a tumbler. Never used it before. I have both corncob (lyman) and walnut (frankford).

Just wondering how the Lyman stuff works if you dont had any brass polish or other cleaner ?

I use lizard litter from pet smart for a fraction of what they charge for gun specific media, I add a cap full of New Finish car polish. Works great.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I already had the corn cob media. Got it free from work. 4 OF THE 6lb bottles.

I just finished up a bunch of .223 brass. Looks pretty good. I got rid of my ski boat in a divorce, and had a bunch of Meguiar's Marine wax that I added to the4 media, so I used that.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Owl
I already had the corn cob media. Got it free from work. 4 OF THE 6lb bottles.

I just finished up a bunch of .223 brass. Looks pretty good. I got rid of my ski boat in a divorce, and had a bunch of Meguiar's Marine wax that I added to the4 media, so I used that.

Excuse me...why on Earth would you be adding a wax to cleaning compound?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on the lizard bedding, finer particles don't get stuck in the flash holes and it does just as good a job cleaning.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I bought some of that Lyman walnut with the red rouge once. It left a mess of rouge residue all over the brass inside and out. So like you, I had to tumble again in clean media to remove the rouge. Why do twice what should take once? I washed all the rouge off the walnut so I could use it up.

Are you cleaning brass or making jewelry? I want the dirt and loose carbon removed and an hour in walnut will do that and polish some. I haven't found the walnut any more dusty than corn cob and it holds up better.

The trick with that stuff is to mix it with walnut media. Go 30-40% Lyman tuff nut next time. You won't get that red dust on the cases anymore and your brass turns out very clean and polished..
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Use lizard litter from the pet store. Cheaper and works better with just a little McGuire car polish and wax from car parts store.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gunswizard
+1 on the lizzard bedding, I got tired of digging media out of flash holes. If I add anything it is Mother's Mag Wheel Polish and then only a pea size lump. Lately I have been using my wet tumbler with just Dawn and Lemi-shine no SS pins, it gets the cases nice and clean and no media mess or pins stuck sideways in primer pockets.

Do your primer pockets come out clean using wet tumbler and no ss pins? I hate messing with the pins, but always have carbon in the primer pockets when I don't use them.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Using the wet tumbler without ss pins the primer pockets come out looking not a whole lot different than when they went in. I use a primer pocket brush in a cordless screwdriver to clean the primer pockets every other time if they have significant carbon deposit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
249 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.