Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
How cold, how much of the ice on lakes, and how deep is the snow?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We got 6" yesterday/last night. NS got it worse with high winds. Lots of power outages there today.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
-25 this morning. I guess it's -35 about an hours drive east of us this morning. We only have a foot of snow after the November warm up we had. No idea on the ice, the only ice a cared about was the ice in my Rum yesterday.....lol

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!

If guns kill people, does that mean I can blame misspelled words on my pencil?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
-22 C (-8 F) this morning. We got about 8" of snow last week and our lake has ~6" of ice.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
-41 here this morning--at that temp it doesn't matter which scale you use.
2 ft of snow in the bush most came in November due to Lake effect. I've had snow on the ground here sinc October the 19th.
Bay froze over in front of house on December 12th which is the earliest ever--it got cold but dead calm for a couple of days and when the wind came back ir shot the ice down a good foot or so.
I got 20 cords of birch piled up in the yard so bring it on

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Could you show us the wood burner Karl?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Was -32 this AM before the wind was factored in. We have a few inches of snow that mostly came down a few days ago.
Only ice I care about is ice out so I can get back to fly fishing!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well now, -36 C this morning with a wind chill of -46C. I'm thinking that all outdoor activities are out of the question..... eek

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot!

If guns kill people, does that mean I can blame misspelled words on my pencil?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Temp stalled out at -14C right now. About 19 inches (49cm for the kids) on the ground and still snowing. Gonna be a long day of snowplowing. Usually takes close to an hour to get the old Cat running. Good snow for snowshoeing. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
greydog;
Good morning to you sir, I hope other than the weather this finds you well.

We had another 6" of the white stuff last night so a bit over a foot on the ground now - which is a fair bit for us in the banana belt.

I've just come in from shoveling my way to the garage to plug in the tractor so in a half hour or so I'll be plowing us and a few of the neighbors out as well. It will be a bit of a day of it here too for sure.

Happy New Year to you and yours greydog.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well, rats! The darn pup motor wouldn't start. I'm taking a break right now, then I'll go pull on the rope some more. If that doesn't work, I'll have to drag the generator up to the house on the toboggan (the snow is too deep for the truck to push through it) and warm it up so it will start. Then I can go back down and put a heater on the pup motor. Once the pup is running, it's just a matter of waiting for the Cat engine to warm up. At least it's getting warmer out. Now up to -12C. I knew I should have parked the Cat close to power but I didn't. The shop is only a bit over 100 yards away but it gets further with every trip.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Does anyone still use a Tiger torch to heat up an engine?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the wood box is full at your house so you can weather the elements which have recently arrived.

We're just coming out of that here, though the forecast is for more. Nonetheless I took advantage of the break in the weather and did this for 3 hours.

[Linked Image]

Our place doesn't take that long, but I did the rural mailbox parking area and two neighbors who don't have a tractor.

It's been a fair while since I've used a tiger torch to fire up an engine, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work as good now as it did decades back.

Happy New Year to you all wabigoon and do try to stay warm.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A great new year to you Dwayne! If my eye correct serves me well, it looks as though those tire chains are lower on the side?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Thanks for the reply and wishes, I appreciate them both.

The chains are - typically for me - something I cobbled together. The rear chains are off a set of dump truck chains which I got for next to nothing as they needed major repairs to work for duals on the dump truck, but there was enough good parts to make a set that fit the tractor. The fronts are a set of car chains that my late father found for me at a yard sale - I want to say they were less than $20.

Anyway they're not pretty, but they surely beat no chains on our BC inclines wabigoon!

All the best to you all again.

Dwayne

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
got the pup going then it was just a matter of letting it run for a few minutes to warm up the diesel. Then it was just matter of plowing a half mile of driveway. The Cat's a 1952 so just a few years younger than I am. We both move at about the same speed. GD

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Richard— I’m not sure on the pic posting thing since photobucket tanked—it’s just a homemade boiler in garage connected to house and a Regency wood stove in kitchen.

Greydog—I used to commercially fish on a tug that had a 311Cat diesel that started with a pup. It was made in the early 40s before I was born. It worked well and I’m sure would have started at -40.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,068
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.