Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I’m looking to plan a trip to one of several provinces of Canada in 2019.
NWT, NORTHERN QUEBEC AND LABRADOR.

I have read about Plummer’s lodges on Great Bear and Great Slave Lakes.

Any comments or recommendations for Plummer or others?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've fished all three provinces mentioned but did a self guided DYI fly in where i brought my own tent , canoe , food or stayed in out post camp cabin.

what type of fish do you want to target?

Method of fishing( trolling, casting, fly fishing)?

Guided or unguided?

lodge or remote fly in?

Fly in or drive in?

Price?

Last edited by ribka; 12/26/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with Ribka, ....gotta provide some specs on what you want, .......there's lots of good lodges but each has its own specialties.
give us some hints on what you'd like.

A stranger is a friend we haven't met.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've been in the business for 30-years now.....so I'm biased! Check out grizzlycreeklodge.com 60 plus fish a day is not unusual.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Looking to catch trout, grayling, casting and trolling.

I would prefer guided since their may be 2-4 of us.

I don't have a preference of lodge or remote fly in - we haven't experienced either.

We are doing a fly in moose hunt in Newfoundland Sept 30, 2018.

Price, well under $5,500 is a starting point.

Re: Plummers, when I was a kid, I used to read the articles in OL or F&S about the monster Lake trout caught there, always intrigued me.

BTW i'm 65 and it still intrigues me!

I will check out grizzlycreeklodge, thank you!!!!

Thanks for the input.

IC B2

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I sent a few questions to GrizzlyLodge, it looks really good!!

The reason I want a guide is first time they to me would be invaluable to learn the lay of the land or lake, history of the area and culture of the Territories plus much more.

Last edited by abbydog; 12/27/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You'll have the experience of your life. Ive been going up fishing and hunting in Canada for 40 plus years

Absolutely gorgeous country up there and the fishing and wildlife are amazing. Ive always been a big pike fanatic but catching a 7 lb brook trout on a fly rod aint bad either.( NW Quebec ) Big lake trout can be had with fly gear early in the season and grayling are a fun fish on fly or light spinning gear. Their colors are undescribable

To me one of the greatest pleasures in life is a shore lunch when fishing in Canadian waters.

Take lots of pics

Last edited by ribka; 12/27/17.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
abbydog

I have no experience with outfitters, but I used to live on the shore of Great Slave Lake in Yellowknife NWT and I'd recommend the Yukon or NWT. Fantastic fishing and friendly folks!

I have heard good things about Grizzly Creek Lodge for sure (although my info dates back about 5 years).

Keep in mind that the exchange rate means that one Canuck buck costs only about 78 US cents, so you can go upscale a bit more than you might have planned.

I warn you though -- the fishing there will spoil you for "normal" fishing forever!

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had to check Grizzly Creek web site.... Looks great! I have fished a number of places in Canada over the years, Labrador, Ontario, BC, Yukon, and NWT. Never disappointed. Friendly folks, and good fishing. Exchange rate is a bonus now, but I have seen it flipped the wrong way for us.. at times

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I had a great conversation today with Dave at Grizzly Creek, my kind of place.

My son checked it out as well and he felt the same way.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Was nice talking to you as well. Give us a call anytime, would love to help with your next trip north.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
you will have a blast of time in the Yukon for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.facebook.com/aylmerlakelodge/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Sorry, I can't find the website. Give Kevin a call. Only lodge on the lake. Huge lake trout, said to be catchable by any method you choose. Grayling fishing is supposed to be good also. My friend bought a donated trip at the SCI Calgary banquet. His wife caught a 56 pound maker in 2016. He had to help her hold it up for photos.

All catch and release. Lake was not fished for many years, I think 2018 might be the fifth year Kevin has been there?

BTW, he outfits for deer, moose, waterfowl, bison, wolves etc in Alberta. Check out Blue Sky Outfitters.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Go to Alaska screw the Liberal canucks.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by cisco1

I love that one...you are obviously not familiar with either place. Alaskans come here by the droves to fish our waters. Just take a look at our fishing regs.....its so common Alaskans are treated just like residents.....

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have Fished and hunted Canada starting 50+ years ago. I hunted the Yukon , took a nice Fannin sheep there. Have hunted Sask., B.C.and Que; many fishing and hunting trips to Ontario, in the PickleCrow area 40+ years ago,
plus many more locations.

I have flown in Beavers ( SN 12) in the Yukon, Otters , Twin Otters . I loved those planes.
I fished Laurie River Lodge...when the original owner ,Jack , ran it and Fleck was the boat boy. Fishing was medicore then...in '85 I think
I have hunted in Alaska in the Brooks, have friends near Coldfoot and Wiseman. I have hunted the Alaska Range , Hunted The Tok River and DryTok.
, Made a 1400 mile roundtrip down the Yukon from the Bridge to the Yukon Slough to the Innoko and Iditarod .
Hunted on the coast at prince of Wales Island. Hunted other drainages.

The last couple times I fished in Canada....the fish and game or whatever you call them, msde it clear the fish and game were for Canucks and Americans were not very welcome. It is too bad I observed this attitude. There were no infractions or citations, so no bitter grapes here.

I am well aware of the saying in Alaska "you have to have your lawyer with you to understand the regs" I and my brother and son sat around the fire everynite and "discussed" the regs. in an attempt to understand what we could hunt on what side of Gillette pass.
All that being said I take big F U C K I N G offense to tell me I have not familiar with either place.
Hell ,we honneymooned in Que. and hunted there also same time. Had a good time.

But, Iwill not hunt or fish in Canada again. I have customers to see there and dread dealing with the LIBERAL F U C K I N G Canucks.

So screw the canucks and you too.

Attached Images
DSC00098.jpg (56.37 KB, 17 downloads)
IMG_0748.jpg (80.31 KB, 17 downloads)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Just so you get the message, As the natives in the Yukon say" you don't know F U C K all"

Attached Images
DSC00235 (2).jpg (81.49 KB, 18 downloads)
IMG_0709.jpg (58.53 KB, 13 downloads)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks for bringing back a few memories . Stay in canada, with your liberal clap trap and diversity.

What does it cost to take a long gun into Canada now?

Attached Images
IMG_0645.jpg (65.43 KB, 18 downloads)
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Thanks for bringing back a few memories . Stay in canada, with your liberal clap trap and diversity.

Boy you're a real PRICK...no wonder Fish and Game gave you the gears. You are obviously dense too......you didnt even get my meaning.....A lot of Alaskans come here.....because our interior fishing is better.....has nothing to do with complicated regulation....There are literally hundreds of lakes they can go to and not see a soul.....thats rare in AK these days.

Think the cost to bring a gun into Canada now is $25 bucks...crawl out from under your rock and watch the news. Canada got rid of the gun registry a few years ago. But heres a question for you you stupid prick......what are YOUR laws???? Bet you are to stupid to know so here they are. In order for a Canadian to take ANY gun, rifle or pistol into the USA he or she must apply to the BATF 6 MONTHS in advance! They must also show proof of the purpose of their trip....so hunting licenses must accompany the application. Thousands of American hunters show up at the Canadian border each year with zero paperwork.....in 5 minutes they are through and on their way. Why do you think companies like Brownels, Midway etc will no longer ship to Canada??? Its because of your own export laws.

By the way you ignorant [bleep] I'm as American as you are....served in the military the whole nine yards......ignorant pricks like you give the rest of us a bad name. I really don't give a [bleep] if you are offended or not, you're dumb as a post and obviously a little unstable.....better get back on your meds. All your bullshit about where you've been and what you've done doesn't impress me at all....I live it.

Last edited by yukon254; 01/04/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wow, talk about a triggered snowflake lol.

Last edited by gerry35; 01/04/18.

Gerry.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by gerry35

Wow, talk about a triggered snowflake lol.

cabin fever when winter just started ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254

I love that one...you are obviously not familiar with either place. Alaskans come here by the droves to fish our waters. Just take a look at our fishing regs.....its so common Alaskans are treated just like residents.....

+1..lived in Alaska for a decade and many Summers we made the trek across Canada to NW Ontario.

We enjoyed our wild salmon, but never ate one that tasted like an Ontario walleye!

Cisco, take a midol. You're embarrassing yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd

+1..lived in Alaska for a decade and many Summers we made the trek across Canada to NW Ontario.

We enjoyed our wild salmon, but never ate one that tasted like an Ontario walleye!

Didn't realise you lived in Alaska for a while. I really like our salmon too but have to say the walleye I caught with my brother in law in southeast Manitoba through the ice was some of the best eating fish I have eaten. We don't have them in this part of B.C. but I would love to fish for them again.

I have had pike from the Dease River in late September that tasted pretty good, same with Arctic grayling. How does lake trout taste? And for that matter Arctic char? Haven't had the pleasure of catching those yet.

Gerry.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Gerry,

i really love the pike in any seasons. we have a stocked lake with artic char not far from the town so i love them but we are not going often, i love lake trout too ... i ate walleye long time ago but pike is really the favourite for us and there is so many good way to make them and even to avoid the bones ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukonphil
Gerry,

i really love the pike in any seasons. we have a stocked lake with artic char not far from the town so i love them but we are not going often, i love lake trout too ... i ate walleye long time ago but pike is really the favourite for us and there is so many good way to make them and even to avoid the bones ...

Pike was the most numerous, easily caught fish where I grew up. I never knew that in some opinions, they don't taste good. They tasted even better when I learned to filet & take y bones out.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Good Morning Yukon phil,

I have fished all over Canada and caught many little Pike and walleye.

Why would I fish in Canada when I can fish in Alaska or the US for great Bass , Muskie , etc? The Innoko River is the place to fish for big Pike.

I never exchanged a word with canada fish and game ....but their attitude towards Americans is not something I want to deal with. A number of lodges I stayed at are apologetic for the attitude of fish & game.
I used to love going to Canada to fish and hunt, but things slowly change.

I may be dense , but I am not going to fish in Canada any longer . Not worth the hassle,. For little reward.

You can watch the news ...I do not have time to waste.

I did take a spin around the Gaspe Peninsula with my wife last year.....but I didn't fish , Although I understand there are some big Muskies in the St. Lawrence.

I don't post pics or stories about my trips ...as I feel too much like a braggart , if you want to dispute that ...go ahead. I think you live it by watching hunting shows on tv.

The crazy liberalism in Canada can make you so proud....you must be one of them. Perhaps , you are not fit to own firearms .

I believe the US could take over Canada with a strongly worded letter. EH!

IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have fished three times on Great Slave Lake in the NWT with Talston Bay Lodge.

https://www.taltsonbay.com/

Excellent trophy size pike fishing !

Last edited by IKE; 01/05/18.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

Good Morning Yukon phil,

Why would I fish in Canada when I can fish in Alaska or the US for great Bass , Muskie , etc? The Innoko River is the place to fish for big Pike.

I never exchanged a word with canada fish and game ....but their attitude towards Americans is not something I want to deal with. A number of lodges I stayed at are apologetic for the attitude of fish & game.

I may be dense , but I am not going to fish in Canada any longer . Not worth the hassle,. For little reward.

I did take a spin around the Gaspe Peninsula with my wife last year.....but I didn't fish , Although I understand there are some big Muskies in the St. Lawrence.

I don't post pics or stories about my trips ...as I feel too much like a braggart , if you want to dispute that ...go ahead. I think you live it by watching hunting shows on tv.

The crazy liberalism in Canada can make you so proud....you must be one of them. Perhaps , you are not fit to own firearms .

i do not know what to say ....

i do not watch hunting or fishing shows do not need to dream about hunting there ... lol im living where most of the hunters dream to come .... even guided some shows lol for fishing or hunting ....

i do not think anybody has an attitude about a nation or people but if someone is a prick then the story is different and if your actual behavior is the same as on the intraweb then you desserved hundred time what you got.

like David i did my share in the army not the US one but that is not the point.

in the history seems even the White house burnt and one time.

sometimes Yukoners are going in Alaska for fishing in the Pacific but i do not think fishing here can be beaten except for salmons ...

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by AB2506
Gerry,

Pike was the most numerous, easily caught fish where I grew up. I never knew that in some opinions, they don't taste good. They tasted even better when I learned to filet & take y bones out.

most of the people wont eat them up to the time they tried, then of course learning the filet thing.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

Good Morning Yukon phil,

i do not watch hunting or fishing shows do not need to dream about hunting there ... lol im living where most of the hunters dream to come .... even guided some shows lol for fishing or hunting ....

i do not think anybody has an attitude about a nation or people but if someone is a prick then the story is different and if your actual behavior is the same as on the intraweb then you desserved hundred time what you got.

sometimes Yukoners are going in Alaska for fishing in the Pacific but i do not think fishing here can be beaten except for salmons ...

yukonphil I think you made a good point. This guy obviously has an ager management problem. I've been guiding for over 30-years in Yukon and BC....our COs are the most professional people you will ever meet. Most are outdoorsmen and women themselves. Although Im sure there are some bad ones the vast majority are extremely nice people. Im sure this guy deserved to be treated the way they treated him. I don't watch hunting or fishing TV either.....I've guided my share of TV hosts as well. Being an American guys like him embarrass me. Im sure the rest of you Canadians on here realize this, but not all of us are as arrogant as this dude is. I deal with other American outdoorsmen on a daily basis, and they are happy to spend their money here. They appreciate our country and are grateful for the opportunity to enjoy our great wilderness. Don't let one bad apple leave a sour taste of the rest of us!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Gerry,

most of the people wont eat them up to the time they tried, then of course learning the filet thing.

pike from cold , clean water taste just as good as walleye in my opinion

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Good Morning Yukon phil,

Have had mostly very positive experiences dealing with Canadians. Great very friendly honest folks.

I had one bad experience with an unscrupulous Quebecois cariboo outfitter who was a lying scum bag but can meet those in every country

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka
Gerry,

pike from cold , clean water taste just as good as walleye in my opinion

As a kid I had read that pike were bad eating but when I had a chance to catch them myself I found otherwise. It is fun to catch them because they hit the lure very hard. It was a blast to reel in a spinner 6 inches below the surface and see one come out of nowhere and hammer it smile Got to get up to the Dease again next year and catch some pike and grayling again.

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As was said, Northern Pike from cold, clear water is on-par with walleye. I still regard the jumbo yellow perch as king of flavor, but ya gotta get 'em early in the season. they can get wormy after June....

Gerry, Lake trout is a very yellow meat and it is also excellent. They can take a long, long time to grow large so we usually tossed them back in Alaska.
Salmon were much more prolific and as good to eat, or better. Our fave is/was Copper river sockeye (reds) or Yukon king salmon.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We buy most of our salmon from Costco. I think I like Atlantic salmon the best. Chinook next and then go to.

A
abbydog Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Everyone has rules in this game and for me the customer it’s up to the outfitter to figure that out.

I really don’t care if the Canadians or whomever have an attitude because I have choice like all of you and can take my business elsewhere.

I have looked at Alaska, Iceland, Greenland, Sweden and the
U.S. and I will go to each of those destinations for fishing and sightseeing.

I had a nice long conversation with Yukon254 and expect to visit him in the future.

He exemplifies what I expect as a customer and that’s how I treat my clients.

Bottom line is that’s all I asked was for a recommendation to fish in the NWT. Could care less about their leaders liberal attitude.

Last edited by abbydog; 01/06/18.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You'll find that throughout Canada, once you leave the big urban areas, Canadians for the most part are very pro gun, pro military, law enforcement and possess conservative values and are really nice friendly open folks.

I think NWT fishing and hunting compares to Alaska from 30 years ago

Originally Posted by abbydog
Everyone has rules in this game and for me the customer it’s up to the outfitter to figure that out.

I really don’t care if the Canadians or whomever have an attitude because I have choice like all of you and can take my business elsewhere.

I have looked at Alaska, Iceland, Greenland, Sweden and the
U.S. and I will go to each of those destinations for fishing and sightseeing.

I had a nice long conversation with Yukon254 and expect to visit him in the future.

He exemplifies what I expect as a customer and that’s how I treat my clients.

Bottom line is that’s all I asked was for a recommendation to fish in the NWT. Could care less about their leaders liberal attitude.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by broomd
As was said, Northern Pike from cold, clear water is on-par with walleye. I still regard the jumbo yellow perch as king of flavor, but ya gotta get 'em early in the season. they can get wormy after June....

Gerry, Lake trout is a very yellow meat and it is also excellent. They can take a long, long time to grow large so we usually tossed them back in Alaska.
Salmon were much more prolific and as good to eat, or better. Our fave is/was Copper river sockeye (reds) or Yukon king salmon.
[Linked Image]

forgot about yellow perch

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 43 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.