Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 100 qt Grizzly I just got appears to be very well made

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RTIC is the best bang for the buck.

If I recall correctly yeti had some legal action against the owners who were working for yeti. I guess they copied the yeti. Yeti won the suit with a financial agreement of some sort. That tells me the RTIC is a yeti clone for the most part

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JJHACK

If I recall correctly yeti had some legal action against the owners who were working for yeti. I guess they copied the yeti. Yeti won the suit with a financial agreement of some sort. That tells me the RTIC is a yeti clone for the most part

I think you're referring to Walmart and the cold cups...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope it was the coolers, but who knows my memory could be slipping. I’ve slept plenty since the details were fresh Although it may have been the whole lineup? Google it. It was a pretty big thing at the time but probably months ago by now

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I think you're referring to Walmart and the cold cups...

RTIC also lost a lawsuit with YETI

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/26/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I have three rtic coolers 2 45s and a 65. Very happy with price and quality. The only thing I dont like is the rubber latches dont stay up and get in the way when closing the coolers. There is an easy fix for that using rubber washers that I just havent done yet.

Had the same problem. Need to find out exactly what that fix is.

Pull out the pins that hold the rubber latch and add a couple stainless steel washers within

This makes everything

There is a YouTube how to video

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What's funny about the lawsuits is that there's really only so many ways to make a rectangular insulated ice box with a hinged lid and latches. I guess Yeti got tired of customers abandoning their high priced ship so they sued RTIC. At that time RTIC soft coolers had a zippered lid that when completely unzipped the lid would fold conveniently over out of the way. Yeti had an asinine purse zipper across the top that made it maddening to try to see what you were digging out. Yeti has seen the RTIC light now.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/26/17.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Rtic nuff said!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I remember back earlier this year Rtic was advertising some of their products at some pretty hefty % discounts. Makes sense now with Rtic losing the lawsuit to Yeti.

As to Yeti's lawsuits over knock-offs of their stainless insulated tumblers, Walmart is still stocking their Ozark Trail copies. From what I've read too they all appear to be manufactured by the same company in China including the Yeti tumblers and are ridiculously cheap in price in higher quantity orders. Also the manufacture offers them in stainless, assorted colors and designs with or without decal lettering or embossed logo as wanted.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had very good service from Pelican coolers. Much better price than Yeti, and made in the USA; unlike the Chinese made overpriced Yeti.

Jeff

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My wife calls me a cooler slut. I still have and use a 40 qt Gott I bought in 1983.

I'm very interested in the Rtic and had a couple in my cart earlier in the year but they sold out while I him hawed. crazy

Being a Yeti clone Rtic has some pluses, namely the latches and handles.
Latches can be replaced at a truck stop and the handles don't take much room.

My currant inventory of rotomoldeds includes Yeti 20,45and 65qt an Igloo 50 qt and a Pelican 95qt.

The Yeti's work as advertised. The Igloo which I wanted to like because of the Sam's Club price and big drain plug
[which might be part of the ice retention problem] disappoints.

While the Pelican works great I really dislike the latches which could leave you in a lurch if broken off.
No easy replacement. The outboard handles really take up a bunch of room in the back of an overly crowded p/u bed.

The biggest drawback I see is when you get one big enough to be really useful you need a team of Sherpas to move it for you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I have three rtic coolers 2 45s and a 65. Very happy with price and quality. The only thing I dont like is the rubber latches dont stay up and get in the way when closing the coolers. There is an easy fix for that using rubber washers that I just havent done yet.

Had the same problem. Need to find out exactly what that fix is.

Pull out the pins that hold the rubber latch and add a couple stainless steel washers within

This makes everything

There is a YouTube how to video

Thanks

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Rtic is the best bang for your buck when it comes to roto molded coolers

X2. Retains ice longer than a Yeti and costs 1/2 as much

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can't say from personal experience which brand is best but I went with ORCA . I wanted a cooler around 40/45 qts and was seriously considering the RTIC until I started reading reviews where they would test similar sized coolers and ORCA was nearly always in the top 2 or three for ice retention and Is US made with a lifetime warranty. A few weeks ago RTIC had their coolers marked down and I came really close to buying one then I looked on ORCAs site and they were having a blackfriday sale and for one hour the cooler that I wanted was going to be marked down so that it only cost about $25 more than the RTIC so... giggity giggity. Next summer prairie dogging if it doesn't keep ice quite a bit longer than a cheap Igloo or Coleman, I'll get a lot of grief from my buds. For me it's not about saving a few dollars on ice, though over the years it could add up, it's about not having to stop and get ice every single day.
The summer of 2012 was real dry and I had a bad fire at the ranch... burned a couple of my buildings. Anyway, as I was working on the mess I started icing down a cooler loaded with bottled water... every day I would have to go get more ice, after 4-5 days I went and got one of those dorm sized refrigerators...the fridge cost as much or more than the ice I was going to need but sure made things better and I still have it.

As for the "status symbol" aspect, I'm kind of worried that people might mistake me for some high roller when they see my $168 cooler in the back of my rusty '95 F150 with 250,000 miles... don't need car loads of gold diggers trailing after me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Wife did some tests and though we didn't go buy every cooler made, she concurs that so far RTIC comes out ahead on holding ice the best. Coolers and drink cups whatever tehy are called.

Yeti hasn't won a single test....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This was when they were on close out because of the law suit. We picked them up cheap.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11769991/Rtic_coolers,_yeti_clone?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostman

X2. Retains ice longer than a Yeti and costs 1/2 as much

THIS

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I got a igloo sportsman 45 back 5 years ago when they first started to sell them at Sams Club, then a 20 they have held up to banging around in the back of the truck and still look good and keep ice longer than any other cooler I have tried.

I had a yeti last year for a short time but returned it sure wasn’t worth double the price...

Recently saw a ICE CREEK soft bag sold by Target, it is a clone of the older Gen 1 Yeti soft bag right down to the thickness of the side insulation and the zipper on top... but at $50

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I see Otter box is making rugged coolers now, if they are as strong as the other stuff they build they should last for many years.

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/vent...edbUiCmXouQiaxIJxvLU0dhx7KYaAhjDEALw_wcB

Last edited by old_willys; 12/28/17.

Ted
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 66 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.