Relevant Info/ Opinions?

THANKS!

( am aware of the FFP same )

GB1

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Very nice article written by Mel over on Sniper Central explaining some Tips and Tricks
overlooked on SFP scopes. I certainly have bought into the FFP scopes but also have
a fair amount of SFP scopes with Mil or Moa reticles.
Master these Tips and Tricks, there is no real math to do estimating yardage. The scope will do it.

Joe

Last edited by vferguson3006; 12/27/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am very happy with a mil dot reticle SFP calibrated at 10x. I find it to be the quickest most versatile setup that alllows for measuring. Because 1 mil sub tends 1 meter @ 1km you can use your magnification to range a target of known dimensions. If you wanted to range a coyote for example you would utilize your magnification to zoom in/out until the dogs body subtends 1mil in your horizontal crosshair. The magnification will be your range. 4x=400 meters. None of this works unless you true your magnification ring- jus Ike any other dope. Goto the KD range with a 1 meter per side square box and starting at 300 or 400 whatever your scope allows and verify the magnification at which the box fils 1 mil, matching it to the range and marking it with paint pen etc on the tube when there is discrepancies between what the scope says and what the Dope says repeat from 500-1000. I was griping about having an SFP reticle when I was a a young hooah and my section leader dropped some science that really changed my perspective.
It’s easy to get into a routine of range/ zoom/dial/aim/shoot- it’s all right there. Your .1mil adjustments will always move your bulletstrike .1mil- but if you don’t zoom to 10x prior to engaging you won’t be able read corrections correctly. The FFP gives up the ability to be used as a slide rule basically. Additionally almost all scopes demonstrate a POI shift across the zoom range- hence the old notion to zero with whatever power on the scope you’ll use for long shots- or your highest power, something to that effect- so your probably going to crank that baby to 10x anyway before you start whacking away at that elk out there. Which happens to be where all your s h I t matches.

If calibrated at 10x I feel the sfp mil reticle is the most versatile Option available to a shooter, but would rather have
FFP milreticle than an sfp calibrated at other than 10

If you have weak eyeS... SFP
if you need a BOLD highly visible reticle in low light...SFP
If you hunt in the woods and have to deal with lots of sticks branches and clutter in your sight picture...SFP

Obviously you can shRpshoot or dissect any of these points and people will explain how they aren’t meaningful - but. Whatever. It’s just stuff to consider

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/27/17.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by vferguson3006
Very nice article written by Mel over on Sniper Central explaining some Tips and Tricks
overlooked on SFP scopes. I certainly have bought into the FFP scopes but also have
a fair amount of SFP scopes with Mil or Moa reticles.
Master these Tips and Tricks, there is no real math to do estimating yardage. The scope will do it.

Joe

Do you have a link?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V

This link should work. Normally you have to become a member to read his newsletters,
this one fell through the cracks.

Joe

www.snipercentral.com/newsletter/scl-5/?frame=0

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Thanks.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was a good read- and it makes sense as far as extending the usefulness of the SFP. I knew there would be other ways to use it- but the only one I could really grasp because I’m strong like bull and smart like tractor was keeping with straight up metric/mil/10x. The other concepts he talks about are interesting but you’re back to doing math in the heat of the moment. Even a monkey can be trained to utilize or apply or adhere to a procedure- but as soon as you add in math then you need a smarter monkey.

Last edited by 175rltw; 12/28/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 175rltw
I am very happy with a mil dot reticle SFP calibrated at 10x. I find it to be the quickest most versatile setup that alllows for measuring. Because 1 mil sub tends 1 meter @ 1km you can use your magnification to range a target of known dimensions. If you wanted to range a coyote for example you would utilize your magnification to zoom in/out until the dogs body subtends 1mil in your horizontal crosshair. The magnification will be your range. 4x=400 meters. None of this works unless you true your magnification ring- jus Ike any other dope. Goto the KD range with a 1 meter per side square box and starting at 300 or 400 whatever your scope allows and verify the magnification at which the box fils 1 mil, matching it to the range and marking it with paint pen etc on the tube when there is discrepancies between what the scope says and what the Dope says repeat from 500-1000. I was griping about having an SFP reticle when I was a a young hooah and my section leader dropped some science that really changed my perspective.
It’s easy to get into a routine of range/ zoom/dial/aim/shoot- it’s all right there. Your .1mil adjustments will always move your bulletstrike .1mil- but if you don’t zoom to 10x prior to engaging you won’t be able read corrections correctly. The FFP gives up the ability to be used as a slide rule basically. Additionally almost all scopes demonstrate a POI shift across the zoom range- hence the old notion to zero with whatever power on the scope you’ll use for long shots- or your highest power, something to that effect- so your probably going to crank that baby to 10x anyway before you start whacking away at that elk out there. Which happens to be where all your s h I t matches.

If calibrated at 10x I feel the sfp mil reticle is the most versatile Option available to a shooter, but would rather have
FFP milreticle than an sfp calibrated at other than 10

If you have weak eyeS... SFP
if you need a BOLD highly visible reticle in low light...SFP
If you hunt in the woods and have to deal with lots of sticks branches and clutter in your sight picture...SFP

Obviously you can shRpshoot or dissect any of these points and people will explain how they aren’t meaningful - but. Whatever. It’s just stuff to consider

This!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,794
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.