Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yesterday afternoon Ol' Pappy (POPBEAR here at the Campfire) liberated a Kimber Model 96 Mauser Sporter in 6.5x55 from a local pawn shop.

It looks like the work was reasonably well done. The barrel has been turned down to sporter contour, recrowned, and shortened to 22 inches.

A Buehler type safety and what looks like a Timney trigger has been added. Its also been drilled and tapped and is currently wearing a Tasco 3-9x40 with the 30/30 square reticle (This scope is surprisingly clear and might actually be one of the usable older Tascos, definitely a step up from the latest Tasco Crapola).

The whole rifle has either been unblued and left in the white or finished with some sort of chrome like process that mimics stainless steel.

The barreled action has been dropped into a Ramline synthetic stock.

The barrel is marked 6.5 x 55 Kimber of Oregon Clackamas, Oregon and Imported by KBI.

Pops has using this for a loaner/knock-around/bad weather/truck gun in mind.

Anybody used one of these or a similar rifle?

I'll try to get some pictures later today or tomorrow.

HBB

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had one of these Kimbers in 22-250. Was not a stellar performer but wasn't awful either. Mine was a rather dull matte blue so I can't help you with the finnish. It was my first varmint rig and went to other pastures a long time ago.
If mine had been a Swede it might still be here. Hope it shoots well!

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I remember when the old Kimber company marketed these guns. Seems like they put electroless nickel on some of them so that might be the finish. If so, it should be very durable, if done right. Most of the 96's were good shooters. I have a military config 96 and a 38 and am amazed at how well they can do with open sights at 100 yards. I'd like to hear how the gun you mention shoots when he has a chance to give it a go.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep, should be a good shooter with 140s and 160s, if it's bedded properly in that ramline.
hey, shoot the thing first ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the input folks. I'm in the process of gathering up dies, brass, etc for some M- 96 testing.

If the rifle shoots as well as I hope it does, I plan on figuring out a way to glom onto the old Swede myself. grin

HBB

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are they "cock on close", or have they been converted? Nice looking rig.; crying for a matte-black scope IMO!

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Its still cock on close. There's some of the Pentax Gameseekers laying around the place. One of them is liable to find its way onto this rifle.

HBB

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The caliber is sweet, cock-on close is a bit of a pain IMO. I have a 1906 96 Mauser. I've heard the conversion is costly, so I've passed. It's too bad, because I think it would be a good rig for my boy to use when old enough (low recoil and he could beat on it), but it closes pretty hard for a beginner IMO.

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm interested in how this rifle shoots. Hopefully well for O'l Pappy. Kimber of Oregon rifles used to have a LOT of QC issues, but I must admit that I've never seen one like that one before. Keep us posted......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've heard about the QC issues from Kimber of Oregon but, at least superficially, this rifle looks good.

If it shoots anywhere near as good as it looks its a keeper for sure.

HBB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard nothing but great things about the 96 Mauser's converted by Kimber. I let one get away at a gun show a couple of years ago that I regret.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's good to hear.

HBB

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had one just like it and it was a great shooter.

Weagle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you know about the barrels?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one in 6.5x55 in matte blue. Mine came with a Tasco pronghorn scope that I quickly replaced with a used Leupold Vari-x II. Mine also came with the military trigger which I replaced with a Timney. I did glass bed the Ramline stock but it didn't make much difference in the accuracy. It is not a tack driver but easily shoots minute of Whitetail with any 140 grain bullet I load in it. It also shoots the 125 and 129 grain bullets well enough. The thing that makes these rifles so sweet is that they are pretty light and they don't kick at all. Mine has less felt recoil than my .243. Great knock about hunting rifle! I love mine. Be careful who you let use it because they will try to buy it from you.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
What do you know about the barrels?

Can't speak for the other calibers but the 6.5X55 barrels are the military barrels that they cut down and recontoured.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mohawk
I have one in 6.5x55 in matte blue. Mine came with a Tasco pronghorn scope that I quickly replaced with a used Leupold Vari-x II. Mine also came with the military trigger which I replaced with a Timney. I did glass bed the Ramline stock but it didn't make much difference in the accuracy. It is not a tack driver but easily shoots minute of Whitetail with any 140 grain bullet I load in it. It also shoots the 125 and 129 grain bullets well enough. The thing that makes these rifles so sweet is that they are pretty light and they don't kick at all. Mine has less felt recoil than my .243. Great knock about hunting rifle! I love mine. Be careful who you let use it because they will try to buy it from you.

Thanks for the info. Have you tried any 156-160 grain bullets in yours?

HBB

Last edited by hillbillybear; 02/14/07.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,514
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.