24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Have a trip booked with Yellowstone Outfitters for the Thorofare in 2019. Haven’t been there in 25 yrs. Hear that the Griz and wolf numbers are up

Anybody with recent experience?

Tikka nEXTgen Bottom Metal
www.redsnake-tactical.com
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Some pards have, you’ll have a good trip if your not a puzzy... get in shape hit er hard and kill a biggun!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The dogs roam from place to place. If they are not around the elk will be there. Most likely.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My dentist hunted there again just this past fall. Saw several grizzly, but they were all good bears;)
Also saw lots of elk, and took a really nice well over 300 inch bull.

Good luck, and have fun!

Byron

PS, Not kidding, but (Especially if your not a horseman) if you are riding in the ride can be long and brutal. Get toughened up if at all possible. It will make your experience a lot more pleasurable.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A while back, while visiting my cousin in Cody, I chatted a bit with one of the guides that works that area-Lost Creek, maybe? They had been doing that trip for 20 some years and never had a bad incident with bears. They always had dogs running ahead of them going in to let the bears know they were coming. They had more issues with paranoid dudes accidentally setting off their bear spray, than with the bears.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was in there early this season. Lots of Grizzlies and LOTS or wolves in some places. The wolves may have a bit of a hard time soon enough, because we can hunt them now. They are calling it the "trophy area" so it's not "shoot on sight" but you'd be well advised to be ready to kill them Wolf Licenses are on a draw basis, but I understand they are not hard to get. Every wolf you shoot is a lot elk you'll save in the coming year.

Outside the "Trophy area" we can shoot them on sight in any numbers we are able. They have been extremely hard of the game herds but that's likely to change very soon. In 90% of the state they are now just a huge coyote and we can kill them any time in any number that we are able. But not the Thoroughfare. There you can probably only kill 1 or maybe 2.

Last edited by szihn; 12/25/17.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Some good advice already, get in shape for walking as well as riding. Beautiful country, and you will see wolves and grizzlies. If you get weather you have a chance for a decent bull coming out of the park. You will see lots of medium and smaller bulls, be patient. It's a classic horseback hunt in good country, have fun.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
++ on beautiful country. Had a bud who lived in Thermop.. who always wanted to get in there but passed before he got the chance. I looked at a hunt there a couple of years ago. Was afraid my body could not handle the country and elevation! Good luck on a dream hunt.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by szihn
I was in there early this season. Lots of Grizzlies and LOTS or wolves in some places. The wolves may have a bit of a hard time soon enough, because we can hunt them now. They are calling it the "trophy area" so it's not "shoot on sight" but you'd be well advised to be ready to kill them Wolf Licenses are on a draw basis, but I understand they are not hard to get. Every wolf you shoot is a lot elk you'll save in the coming year.

Outside the "Trophy area" we can shoot them on sight in any numbers we are able. They have been extremely hard of the game herds but that's likely to change very soon. In 90% of the state they are now just a huge coyote and we can kill them any time in any number that we are able. But not the Thoroughfare. There you can probably only kill 1 or maybe 2.

Had the season not suddenly been closed a couple years back, I had a perfect chance on a beautiful wolf west of Meteetsee, while hunting elk. I just sat and got to watch him be a wolf for awhile, which was neat, too. I sure would have liked to have that big hide hanging right now, though.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been in there quite a bit. The hunting is good especially with a good outfitter like you are going with. It is probably close to 8 hours horseback to that camp. I'd ride a bunch before I went in and I'd be in good shape. And forget about semi useless things like group size. Be ready to shoot from a field position quickly.

I see bears almost every time I go in there. I wouldn't worry too much your guide and outfitter know how to get around safely. Just take reasonable precautions.

I see wolves in there occasionally. A couple points of clarification. Wolf tags in the trophy zone are not a draw. You can buy ONE otc. But there is a quota and when that is reached the season ends. And it doesn't start until October 1st. You'll need a way to check on the quota from camp. Don't shoot at wolves in the park no matter how close to the line they are. Don't laugh at that.

Be ready for any kind of weather from warm to rain to serious snow.

Have fun and take lots of pictures.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I've been in there quite a bit. The hunting is good especially with a good outfitter like you are going with. It is probably close to 8 hours horseback to that camp. I'd ride a bunch before I went in and I'd be in good shape. And forget about semi useless things like group size. Be ready to shoot from a field position quickly.

I see bears almost every time I go in there. I wouldn't worry too much your guide and outfitter know how to get around safely. Just take reasonable precautions.

I see wolves in there occasionally. A couple points of clarification. Wolf tags in the trophy zone are not a draw. You can buy ONE otc. But there is a quota and when that is reached the season ends. And it doesn't start until October 1st. You'll need a way to check on the quota from camp. Don't shoot at wolves in the park no matter how close to the line they are. Don't laugh at that.

Be ready for any kind of weather from warm to rain to serious snow.

Have fun and take lots of pictures.

Now what did you go and do that for!?

grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

712 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,146
Posts18,464,986
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.