Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey Coop, I am totally ignorant on that kind of equipment. Why is the scope mounted so high above the bore? What does a build like that cost sans scope?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hey Coop, I am totally ignorant on that kind of equipment. Why is the scope mounted so high above the bore? What does a build like that cost sans scope?

Paul, the scope is mounted high because I shot that rifle free recoil, meaning my shoulder and face were not on the rifle and it was allowed to freely recoil. This makes for more consistency. I also like a more erect head position. I shot with both eyes open; one looking thru the scope and the other watching the wind flags for any change in velocity or direction that would effect my hold-offs.

Depending on what one's gunsmith charges (and they vary) most would charge between $3,000 to $3,500 for a new rifle. Hard to say exactly, because I got a deal on mine. I was testing rifles for a top rimfire benchrest gunsmith and one day he calls me in to test out this new action that had just hit the market, the Stiller 2500X. Stiller had just sent him the action and the smith re-threaded and re-chambered up a barrel that he had lying around that one of his customers had rejected as being no good. He then put the barreled action in a stock he had bought from another customer that was bedded for a Turbo action. The action holes lined up and he just popped it in there. He mounted a scope and put on a Harrell's Tuner. He handed it to me and said that he just threw it together and that it wasn't going to shoot well but he wanted my opinion on the action. After sighting it in, I proceeded to shoot a 250-16X (out of 250-25X) on an official IR50/50 target. I offered to buy it from him on the spot. He said he'd have think about it. A couple days later he called and said that he had bedded the stock to the Stiller action and if I still wanted it, it was mine. I already had a good Turbo 10.5 lb rifle and thought this would make a nice back-up. The Stiller was the rifle I used to win the Nationals. Since I've stopped competing in rimfire benchrest matches, I've sold the Turbo but I keep having second thoughts about selling this one. It's special.

ps. The rest was made by a fellow shooter from PA and that cost $800.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/05/18.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Originally Posted by cooper57m

My precision rifle: Stiller 2500X action, Rock Creek Barrel, Harrel Harmonic Tuner, Meredith Stock, Sightron 36X scope and Ahrens one piece rest.

Not sure that rifle would do very well in PRS competitions...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by LSU fan

My precision rifle: Stiller 2500X action, Rock Creek Barrel, Harrel Harmonic Tuner, Meredith Stock, Sightron 36X scope and Ahrens one piece rest.

Not sure that rifle would do very well in PRS competitions...

Probably not that one, it's a single shot, but put a bi-pod on my Cooper or 7.5 lb benchrest sporter and they would probably do very well.

Attached Images
2011 World Championship.jpg (65.69 KB, 45 downloads)
Last edited by cooper57m; 01/05/18.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Paul, the scope is mounted high because I shot that rifle free recoil, meaning my shoulder and face were not on the rifle and it was allowed to freely recoil. This makes for more consistency. I also like a more erect head position. I shot with both eyes open; one looking thru the scope and the other watching the wind flags for any change in velocity or direction that would effect my hold-offs.

Depending on what one's gunsmith charges (and they vary) most would charge between $3,000 to $3,500 for a new rifle. Hard to say exactly, because I got a deal on mine. I was testing rifles for a top rimfire benchrest gunsmith and one day he calls me in to test out this new action that had just hit the market, the Stiller 2500X. Stiller had just sent him the action and the smith re-threaded and re-chambered up a barrel that he had lying around that one of his customers had rejected as being no good. He then put the barreled action in a stock he had bought from another customer that was bedded for a Turbo action. The action holes lined up and he just popped it in there. He mounted a scope and put on a Harrell's Tuner. He handed it to me and said that he just threw it together and that it wasn't going to shoot well but he wanted my opinion on the action. After sighting it in, I proceeded to shoot a 250-16X (out of 250-25X) on an official IR50/50 target. I offered to buy it from him on the spot. He said he'd have think about it. A couple days later he called and said that he had bedded the stock to the Stiller action and if I still wanted it, it was mine. I already had a good Turbo 10.5 lb rifle and thought this would make a nice back-up. The Stiller was the rifle I used to win the Nationals. Since I've stopped competing in rimfire benchrest matches, I've sold the Turbo but I keep having second thoughts about selling this one. It's special.

ps. The rest was made by a fellow shooter from PA and that cost $800.

Thanks for the info. This place can give an incredible education.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So will these things be any more accurate/precision than a 10/22 target model? or is the appeal that it closely mimics the RPR so people who shoot one will have a fairly closely matching rifle for low cost practice?

F
F
I'm a wood steel gun lover but mines coming in monday for $359/shipped from Whittakers, they got in 2. Ruger claims 1MOA. I shoot golf balls at 200 yards with CZs & Savages. Was shooting long range with 308 & 338 LM but started shooting rimfire for practice here on the farm & got hooked, badly hooked. I've found the cheap lead Aquila is accurate for me @ $208/shipped for a case of 5000 I shoot 4-5 cases a year also Norma Tac 22 & Match rifle 22. Just pushed the range out to 200+ yards. Look on you tube as a guy was shooting golf balls at 250 yards with an air rifle. Have a old friend thats 68 & hasn't shot much since a kid & he comes over twice a week & he's really come along & has no problem & not good eyes. It's a Blast! So before knocking it did you shoot 8000+ rds last year?

Fly Lo-Shoot Straight!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This new Ruger doesn't interest me. The new Tikka does. I'm betting it will be very accurate and make a fine squirrel rifle.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by flylo
I'm a wood steel gun lover but mines coming in monday for $359/shipped from Whittakers, they got in 2. Ruger claims 1MOA. I shoot golf balls at 200 yards with CZs & Savages. Was shooting long range with 308 & 338 LM but started shooting rimfire for practice here on the farm & got hooked, badly hooked. I've found the cheap lead Aquila is accurate for me @ $208/shipped for a case of 5000 I shoot 4-5 cases a year also Norma Tac 22 & Match rifle 22. Just pushed the range out to 200+ yards. Look on you tube as a guy was shooting golf balls at 250 yards with an air rifle. Have a old friend thats 68 & hasn't shot much since a kid & he comes over twice a week & he's really come along & has no problem & not good eyes. It's a Blast! So before knocking it did you shoot 8000+ rds last year?

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle,
I do that with my slingshot.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flylo

Cabelas just had (may still) a killer deal on bricks of Tac 22. Keep us posted on how yours does. A few folks over on Rimfire Central are getting pretty impressive results with theirs.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.