Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not my cup of tea, but always glad to see new product launches.

https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It wasn't beaten with the ugly stick, it IS the ugly stick!

Not to my tastes, but if it works, why not? Still better looking than that Mossberg leveraction thing. Sorta, kinda, anyway. I think I'll pass on it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's nothing "precision" about that rifle. Ugly does not = precision.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cooper57m

How in the F#ck do you know that Einstein?

You haven't shot one.

Not every rifle can be as overrated and over priced as a Cooper.

Last edited by jk16; 12/29/17.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jk16

You haven't shot one.

How do I know that? Maybe 15 years of competing in rimfire benchrest matches, being in the IR50/50 Hall of Fame and working with a top rimfire gunsmith testing the precision rifles that he built that went on to win National Championships and breaking World Records taught me something about it.

A true precision .22 will have a very light match trigger (Jewell, Flavio Fare, Bix'n Andy, Anschutz), match grade, hand taper-lapped barrel (Shilen, Mueller, Benchmark, Lilja etc) a true match chamber and most will have a barrel tuner like a Harrell's tuner, a trued action with great and consistent ignition (Anschutz, Turbo, Stiller 2500X, 10x etc). The Cooper 57M action could be improved by adding some camming ability to better and more consistently allow the bullet to engrave the rifling. But that is nit picking.

The Ruger might be a fun and decent rifle but precision, I don't think so. Notice, no where is there an expected accuracy statement. As for the Coopers, mine is almost as accurate as a my benchrest rifles and the quality is superb. Mine is an early 57M and it's a real shooter. Neither over-rated nor over-priced (at least not when I bought mine, they have gone up quite a bit).

Tell me there cupcake, what do you know about precision rimfire rifles?

Last edited by cooper57m; 12/29/17.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

You haven't shot one.

How do I know that? Maybe 15 years of competing in rimfire benchrest matches, being in the IR50/50 Hall of Fame and working with a top rimfire gunsmith testing the precision rifles that he built that went on to win National Championships and breaking World Records taught me something about it.

A true precision .22 will have a very light match trigger (Jewell, Flavio Fare, Bix'n Andy, Anschutz), match grade, hand taper-lapped barrel (Shilen, Mueller, Benchmark, Lilja etc) a true match chamber and most will have a barrel tuner like a Harrell's tuner, a trued action with great and consistent ignition (Anschutz, Turbo, Stiller 2500X, 10x etc).

The Ruger might be a fun and decent rifle but precision, I don't think so. Notice, no where is there an expected accuracy statement. As for the Coopers, mine is almost as accurate as a my benchrest rifles and the quality is superb. Mine is an early 57M and it's a real shooter. Neither over-rated nor over-priced (at least not when I bought mine, they have gone up quite a bit).

If you actually are in ANY Benchrest hall of fame- (which is doubtful) they seriously need to raise their standards. smile

Not mention that you ever having shot benchrest has absolutely NO BEARING on the true capabilites of a rifle that you have never even shot.

Ruger designed the gun to be a trainer for their centerfire precision rifle which is a damned accurate rifle. Actually as accurate as anything Cooper has ever built.

Try checking your elitist stupidity at the door .

Last edited by jk16; 12/29/17.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
HUh. I'd be surprised and disappointed if this factory ruger wasnt of equal quality and accuracy as a custom match 22. Seems a valid comparison.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 12/29/17.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

You haven't shot one.

A true precision .22 will have a very light match trigger (Jewell, Flavio Fare, Bix'n Andy, Anschutz), match grade, hand taper-lapped barrel (Shilen, Mueller, Benchmark, Lilja etc) a true match chamber and most will have a barrel tuner like a Harrell's tuner, a trued action with great and consistent

ignition (Anschutz, Turbo, Stiller 2500X, 10x etc).

If you actually are in ANY Benchrest hall of fame- (which is doubtful) they seriously need to raise their standards. smile

Not mention that you ever having shot benchrest has absolutely NO BEARING on the true capabilites of a rifle that you have never even shot.

Ruger designed the gun to be a trainer for their centerfire precision rifle which is a damned accurate rifle. Actually as accurate as anything Cooper has ever built.

Nothing elitist about having actually achieved something and having acquired knowledge on a subject by actually having done something. I know what goes into making a real precision rimfire and the specs on that Ruger aren't it. Not even close. What is your wager on my being in the IR50/50 (rimfire benchrest organization) Hall of Fame? I may be a "Yankee NY Liberal Piece of Sheit" but I'm no liar. I also won the 2015 IR50/50 Unlimited National Championship and represented the US in 2011 in the rimfire benchrest world championships, which I qualified for by my second place finish in the IR50/50 3 Gun Nationals in 2010.

I have no first hand knowledge about the Cooper centerfire rifles but I'm more than confident that my Cooper rimfire would easily outshoot that Ruger. Why do I say that? The Cooper's action, barrel, and true match chamber will be better than the Ruger and all that stuff matters and I have beaten out people shooting Anschutz BR50, Anschutz 1710s and even some custom rifles (tho it will not outshoot my custom rifles) with my Cooper. If that Ruger is all that, it will find it's way to benchrest matches, like the Cooper TRP3 rifle has.

BTW, I wouldn't classify my Cooper as a precision rimfire either. Why? It does not have a match grade trigger. The standard Cooper trigger is good but it is not a 2 oz. Jewell like my real precision rimfire rifles have.

ps Just curious: What level of accuracy would you consider "precision" for a rimfire rifle? @50 yards: 1", .5", .250" .125"?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You could be the greatest benchrest shooter that has ever lived and you still don't know JACK about the new Ruger RPR because you have never fired one.

Which is my point.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I never drove a Yugo either but I know it's not as fast as a Porsche 911. It has to do with the specs and quality of components. That is my point.

And - - the greatest rimfire benchrest shooter ever was Harry Deneen. I was good enough to play with and occasionally beat some of the big boys, but far from the greatest.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
jk16,
Glad you like the Ruger. Not sure you are playing in the same pond...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by smithrjd
jk16,
Glad you like the Ruger. Not sure you are playing in the same pond...

The Ruger is not intended to be a BR gun. Neither is a modern tactical "Precision" style rifle. And FWIW, benchrest guns are pretty useless on a Precision rifle course as well.

I don't know if I "like" the Ruger as I have not shot one either. But unlike narrow some minded folks here, I am.not going to damn it without testing one.

It has an AR-15 style barrel nut system so headspace can be set perfectly. The base gun only
costs $520 retail. Even with a higher grade custom replacement barrel (which may not even be needed for its intended use) street cost will wind up being about $750-$80 all up.

I don't see any downside to this rifle for a PRC style trainer.

Last edited by jk16; 12/30/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Life is too short...........

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
JK16, you read more into my initial post than I intended. I did not say it was useless nor did I imply it wouldn't make a cheaper "trainer" for someone with a centerfire Ruger PRC. My statement was my initial take on that rifle and after our little exchange, nothing has changed on that. The word "precision" may mean different things to different people, but I think it should mean something other than that it is slightly more accurate than a cheap plinker or being a cheap plinker with an ugly stock. Keeping the car analogy going, it's like someone putting a sporty-looking kit body over a VW beetle and calling it a sports car. It could still be fun to drive and you would look cool in it, but, it would not be a high-performance sports car.

If one wants a similar styled rifle that actually has the chance to be a good shooter, the Vudoo Gun Works V22 actually has a chance to be a precision rifle. (I say that not having shot that one either but based on it's specs and what I've read). If someone wants a guaranteed precision rimfire rifle, I would suggest having a custom rimfire built by a top rimfire gunsmith on a Stiller 2500X action, Jewell or Bix'n Andy trigger, Shilen ratchet barrel with a Harrell tuner (with the actual barrel length determined by the gunsmith who will slug the barrel and cut and crown it at a tight spot in the bore) . You can put that into any style tacticool stock you want. Anyone doing that will have a truly precision rimfire capable of benchrest accuracy, even tho the stock would not be best for that discipline. The cost of just the components in such a precision rifle would be $2K not counting the gunsmith's labor or scope. Shooting such a precision rifle would be as exhilarating to a rifleman as getting behind the wheel of a Bugatti Veyron would be to a car enthusiast. The thing is, while the average guy can't afford a Veyron, most of us can come up with $3K for just such a rifle.

Last edited by cooper57m; 12/30/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yuck. I can't imagine it carries well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't understand folks that can't grasp that this is a rifle with an MSRP of $500, is set up for Precision Rifle matches (not Benchrest), and then try to compare it against BR Rifles like the TRP (MSRP $2,165), or Stiller or 40x action rifles costing thousands more. It's not the same game, not the same price, and not the same requirements needed to compete in each.

Ya hung up about the word "Precision"? Its the model name that corresponds with the type of matches it's expected to participate in. Get over it. It's not going to win Benchrest matches against 10lb guns with 3 oz. triggers, 3" forends, and shot from mechanical rifle rests that cost more than this rifle.

As to being "Ugly" that is really a subjective issue. For a rifle at this pricepoint, I think the features are more important than "looks"...easily adjustable LOP, adjustable comb, adjustable pad for shooters 10 yr old and up... Multiple points to mount slings or bi-pods, a 30 MOA picatinny rail as standard, adustable trigger to 2.5lbs (No it's not a Jewell or A&B, but it's not a benchrest rifle), and a barrel already threaded for a suppressor that swaps out easily with a headspace gauge and AR wrench. 10rd Magazines cost less than $14, and you can get 15rd and 25rd mags if you want. That's a lot to ask for in a FACTORY, OFF THE SHELF, rifle.

Don

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I recognize the features are useful. I'm sure it's efficient. It is a tool. Not my cup of tea, but interesting. Life would be boring if we all did the same thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. I've never held one, shot or even seen a pic 'til I clicked on the link by the OP. But, for $500 bucks it seems like a heckuva a rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paul;
Good morning to you sir and thanks for the thread, I'd heard about these but hadn't laid eyes on any photos yet.

A couple of years back I was thinning the safe contents out and told my eldest daughter that with the proceeds it was time I bought her a decent bolt .22 to go along with her 10/22. We went up the valley to a couple gun shops where she handled a CZ, Savage and a couple Ruger Americans - ending up picking the Compact model as she liked how it fit.

We picked up some sort of Tasco Varmint Rimfire scope at the local gun show after that and to make a long story short - the little thing does shoot. It's a tiny bit more ammo sensitive than my 1958 Brno Model 5, but when fed almost anything from CCI the little Ruger American will run neck and neck with the old Brno and that's pretty good.

This new Ruger appears to be the same action as the American Rimfire and to me it's sorta like a moose calf - so ugly it's kinda cute. wink

While my tastes typically run to nicer wood on a rimfire, I'm going to have to seek one of these out to handle it. Everybody should have multiple .22 rifles, right? laugh

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/30/17.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, don't y'all jump on me. I don't keep up with all the cutting edge trends in the firearms world so this is an honest question - what is this thing used for?

I get centerfire precision rifles, they're basically modernized "chassified" versions of the older wood stocked position rifles that have been around for decades with combs adjustable for height and buttplates adjustable for cant and LOP. These centerfire precision rifles are cambered for calibers useful for very long range shooting - high BC bullets and moderate to low recoil.

But a .22 LR? There used to be lots and lots of position rifles in .22 but they were used for bullseye matches at close to moderate range where one rifle could be used for offhand, kneeling, sitting and prone. I'm not seeing a lot of those matches today, and when someone wants to shoot at long range they do it off of a bench or prone with a bipod.

Now I've shot 200 yard .22 silhouette but did very well with a box stock Ruger 10/22 16" tactical and an SWFA scope, didn't need anything too fancy for that.

So, are people now shooting .22's out to 400-600 yards?

I'm not criticizing or sneering at the rifle and I'm always glad to see more choices, but I am curious just exactly what one would use this for?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim: Here's a link that explains the rimfire version of Precision rifle PRS Link..ELEY is the title sponsor of this, but there are many events popping up around the country. The Ruger rifle is a platform that is ready to go, assuming quality optics and finding the right ammo that the gun likes.

Don

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never heard of this but after reading that article have to say that's pretty slick. Wind is always the bugaboo for long range shooting so I like how they match up ranges for same-same wind drift for the .22 and .308. I know when shooting at the 200 yard rams a small change in wind speed will drift the bullet completely off target.

Nice to see various positions involved as well. I know they still do that with NRA bullseye type matches but AFAIK around here that's only done by a dedicated few people. Something like this might draw in more folks and with limited space for shooting ranges around the country folks can get their long range and wind reading practice in a more limited area.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

You haven't shot one.

A true precision .22 will have a very light match trigger (Jewell, Flavio Fare, Bix'n Andy, Anschutz), match grade, hand taper-lapped barrel (Shilen, Mueller, Benchmark, Lilja etc) a true match chamber and most will have a barrel tuner like a Harrell's tuner, a trued action with great and consistent ignition (Anschutz, Turbo, Stiller 2500X, 10x etc).

Sir,
You may want to pay attention to Cooper57M. Ruger and precision do not go hand in hand. May be OK for the kids playing Army or a tin can shooter.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BC30cal

We picked up some sort of Tasco Varmint Rimfire scope at the local gun show after that and to make a long story short - the little thing does shoot. It's a tiny bit more ammo sensitive than my 1958 Brno Model 5, but when fed almost anything from CCI the little Ruger American will run neck and neck with the old Brno and that's pretty good.

Mr Dwayne,

Nice to see you chiming in here with both you polite good humor AND actual experinces with the new Rugers. As always it is refreshing. I hope you are having a great Holiday Season and are staying warm up in BC. smile

That part of your post above stuck out as mirroring my own experiences . I've owned a sample ot two of just about every rimfire bolt sporter made in the last 100 years. Of those ,over a dozen of those have been a mix of BRNO model 1,2 and 4s along with tge more recent CZ 452 rifles. The Czech guns have been solidly accurate and well made.They have earned my respect compared to other guns.

Given that right out of the box ,my 2016 CZ m452 American 22LR shoots as well as any BRNO I have ever owned , it is a keeper. But based on the way the rifle shoots, so is my humble little $220 RAR 22" sporter.

Like you, I found that accoss the board the CZ shot more brands more accurately than the Ruger, by only about 10% in actual group size. I believe that is mostly due to the tighter Euro rimfire bore specs and shorter semi match chamber that CZ has always put in their 22 LRs.

With it's preferred brand of ammo the Ruger equals the CZ. The CZ likes SK Jagd Standard Plus and the Ruger likes the Norma Tac -22. Fed properly both shoot evtremely well for sub $500, 6lb sporters. Someday I will get around to shooting some Oympic Match grade $10-$20 per box stuff in them just to see what happens. But until then they fine as they are.

Last edited by jk16; 12/30/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think this issue is about like defining "porn." Words can not characterize it, but I recognize it when I see it.

Maybe those units will shoot, and I've not read any reviews. They are absolutely butt ugly in my book, and I can't see them being a very pleasant unit to pack around. No character either. Put 10 of them in a pile, and one would have to read the serial numbers to figure out which was his.

I've wished for years that Ruger would come out with a #1 V match chambered in 22RF.

I'll pass.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/30/17.

1Minute
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Okay, don't y'all jump on me. I don't keep up with all the cutting edge trends in the firearms world so this is an honest question - what is this thing used for?

I get centerfire precision rifles, they're basically modernized "chassified" versions of the older wood stocked position rifles that have been around for decades with combs adjustable for height and buttplates adjustable for cant and LOP. These centerfire precision rifles are cambered for calibers useful for very long range shooting - high BC bullets and moderate to low recoil.

But a .22 LR? There used to be lots and lots of position rifles in .22 but they were used for bullseye matches at close to moderate range where one rifle could be used for offhand, kneeling, sitting and prone. I'm not seeing a lot of those matches today, and when someone wants to shoot at long range they do it off of a bench or prone with a bipod.

Now I've shot 200 yard .22 silhouette but did very well with a box stock Ruger 10/22 16" tactical and an SWFA scope, didn't need anything too fancy for that.

So, are people now shooting .22's out to 400-600 yards?

I'm not criticizing or sneering at the rifle and I'm always glad to see more choices, but I am curious just exactly what one would use this for?

Sales?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I thought it was for those who couldn't handle the recoil of their 6.5 Ruger precision rifle

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Basis my experience with Ruger rimfires, Ruger and precision don’t belong in same sentence.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dale06
Basis my experience with Ruger rimfires, Ruger and precision don’t belong in same sentence.

My Rugers have been giving me some pretty impressive groups lately. Both of my bone stock 77/22s (one mag and one LR) will go under a half inch at 50 yards with their favorite ammo. My American target 22LR gave me a group of about .35 at 50 yards. Perhaps the biggest surprise of all is how much my 10/22 magnum which I recently found LOVES 30 grain V max bullets. This rifle spent 3 days in saltwater muck following Hurricane Katrina. I rinsed it in a freshwater lake and hosed it down with WD-40 and didn't give it a good tear down cleaning for about 6 months. The trigger is horrible. I put a new scope on it the other day and took it to the range last week. It gave me ragged hole 3 shot groups at 50 yards and an estimated 3/4 inch group at 100.

That may not amount to precision in your book, but I'd say it's darn fine accuracy. The ugly Ruger Precision Chassis rifles are ridiculously accurate, so Ruger may be on to something here. I'll wait and see. I have a hunch they'll hang with any other $450 rimfire. Have you ever fired a Ruger target rimfire?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, I did have a very accurate 10-22, but it had only the bare receiver that was Ruger. We were testing 10-22 barrels in Shilen's shop many years ago and I inherited the best barrel that shot that day. I had one of the first Jewell trigger's that Arnold produced for a short time.I had some type synthetic stock on it and a 3X9 Zeiss on it.
I gave it to Nez Rongero, the AR guru in Austin, Texas. It was an accurate rifle with either Eley Black box or Aguila SE sub sonic.

I will agree with the feller that said his CZ452 was accurate and his Brno. I made 2oz CZ452 triggers early on.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I had a couple real nice BR rimfire customs, but couldn't afford the time or money to compete as I was seriously shooting BR matches at the time. I think my Mod37 Remingtons are as accurate a factory rifle that I have shot.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 12/31/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is the game the new Ruger was made for. It ain't benchrest.

https://youtu.be/aTgjtn625zo

The video below was made in 2008.

A lot has changed since then, both at Ruger and in the World of Riflery in general.

If anything ,the market for such guns is MUCH larger. I think the actual performance of guns like the centerfire Ruger Precision rifle has proven they can build guns that will work for that market. We will see. smile

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I will most likely end up with one. Just because. You know, addiction. Been playing alot with a 513T and 455 Varmint. About my speed and skill level. I have my own little rimfire range 40 ft from my door. Good for a recent retiree to play. Yes, it's about sales, but fun.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doubt if I'll get one. No folding stock and a too short rail......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and it won't do anything this'un will do......

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

Actually the new Ruger does have one feature your rifle does not.

It has a AR style barrel nut system so barrels can be changed out.

But unlike your rifle, it won't cost over $1,000...:)

Congradulations?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Most rifle competitions will turn into an arms race. Those wanting to win the most will seek out the best equipment that will give them the winning edge. If that means spending $1k, $2K or $3K on an accurate rifle, serious shooters will line-up with their wallets open. And - - - there is nothing wrong with that. That is how rifle accuracy is advanced. If everyone would be willing to settle for competing only with a cheaper rifle or were unwilling to pay the price for real precision equipment, the art of the rifle would never advance. So yes, if that more expensive rifle is more likely to make you win, or, if shooting the smallest groups or highest scores possible gives you pleasure, then, yes, congratulations are in order. Congratulations on making the commitment to seeking the highest levels of accuracy achievable.

Last edited by cooper57m; 12/31/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But unlike your rifle, it won't cost over $1,000...:)

Congradulations?

It was well under $1000. And I don't care if mine don't have AR barrel nuts

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

RAR Predator?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
compact

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

My precision rifle: Stiller 2500X action, Rock Creek Barrel, Harrel Harmonic Tuner, Meredith Stock, Sightron 36X scope and Ahrens one piece rest.

Attached Images
2500X and Nationals Plaque.jpg (88.68 KB, 71 downloads)
Last edited by cooper57m; 01/05/18.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hey Coop, I am totally ignorant on that kind of equipment. Why is the scope mounted so high above the bore? What does a build like that cost sans scope?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hey Coop, I am totally ignorant on that kind of equipment. Why is the scope mounted so high above the bore? What does a build like that cost sans scope?

Paul, the scope is mounted high because I shot that rifle free recoil, meaning my shoulder and face were not on the rifle and it was allowed to freely recoil. This makes for more consistency. I also like a more erect head position. I shot with both eyes open; one looking thru the scope and the other watching the wind flags for any change in velocity or direction that would effect my hold-offs.

Depending on what one's gunsmith charges (and they vary) most would charge between $3,000 to $3,500 for a new rifle. Hard to say exactly, because I got a deal on mine. I was testing rifles for a top rimfire benchrest gunsmith and one day he calls me in to test out this new action that had just hit the market, the Stiller 2500X. Stiller had just sent him the action and the smith re-threaded and re-chambered up a barrel that he had lying around that one of his customers had rejected as being no good. He then put the barreled action in a stock he had bought from another customer that was bedded for a Turbo action. The action holes lined up and he just popped it in there. He mounted a scope and put on a Harrell's Tuner. He handed it to me and said that he just threw it together and that it wasn't going to shoot well but he wanted my opinion on the action. After sighting it in, I proceeded to shoot a 250-16X (out of 250-25X) on an official IR50/50 target. I offered to buy it from him on the spot. He said he'd have think about it. A couple days later he called and said that he had bedded the stock to the Stiller action and if I still wanted it, it was mine. I already had a good Turbo 10.5 lb rifle and thought this would make a nice back-up. The Stiller was the rifle I used to win the Nationals. Since I've stopped competing in rimfire benchrest matches, I've sold the Turbo but I keep having second thoughts about selling this one. It's special.

ps. The rest was made by a fellow shooter from PA and that cost $800.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

My precision rifle: Stiller 2500X action, Rock Creek Barrel, Harrel Harmonic Tuner, Meredith Stock, Sightron 36X scope and Ahrens one piece rest.

Not sure that rifle would do very well in PRS competitions...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by LSU fan

Not sure that rifle would do very well in PRS competitions...

Probably not that one, it's a single shot, but put a bi-pod on my Cooper or 7.5 lb benchrest sporter and they would probably do very well.

Attached Images
2011 World Championship.jpg (65.69 KB, 45 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Paul, the scope is mounted high because I shot that rifle free recoil, meaning my shoulder and face were not on the rifle and it was allowed to freely recoil. This makes for more consistency. I also like a more erect head position. I shot with both eyes open; one looking thru the scope and the other watching the wind flags for any change in velocity or direction that would effect my hold-offs.

Depending on what one's gunsmith charges (and they vary) most would charge between $3,000 to $3,500 for a new rifle. Hard to say exactly, because I got a deal on mine. I was testing rifles for a top rimfire benchrest gunsmith and one day he calls me in to test out this new action that had just hit the market, the Stiller 2500X. Stiller had just sent him the action and the smith re-threaded and re-chambered up a barrel that he had lying around that one of his customers had rejected as being no good. He then put the barreled action in a stock he had bought from another customer that was bedded for a Turbo action. The action holes lined up and he just popped it in there. He mounted a scope and put on a Harrell's Tuner. He handed it to me and said that he just threw it together and that it wasn't going to shoot well but he wanted my opinion on the action. After sighting it in, I proceeded to shoot a 250-16X (out of 250-25X) on an official IR50/50 target. I offered to buy it from him on the spot. He said he'd have think about it. A couple days later he called and said that he had bedded the stock to the Stiller action and if I still wanted it, it was mine. I already had a good Turbo 10.5 lb rifle and thought this would make a nice back-up. The Stiller was the rifle I used to win the Nationals. Since I've stopped competing in rimfire benchrest matches, I've sold the Turbo but I keep having second thoughts about selling this one. It's special.

ps. The rest was made by a fellow shooter from PA and that cost $800.

Thanks for the info. This place can give an incredible education.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So will these things be any more accurate/precision than a 10/22 target model? or is the appeal that it closely mimics the RPR so people who shoot one will have a fairly closely matching rifle for low cost practice?

F
F
I'm a wood steel gun lover but mines coming in monday for $359/shipped from Whittakers, they got in 2. Ruger claims 1MOA. I shoot golf balls at 200 yards with CZs & Savages. Was shooting long range with 308 & 338 LM but started shooting rimfire for practice here on the farm & got hooked, badly hooked. I've found the cheap lead Aquila is accurate for me @ $208/shipped for a case of 5000 I shoot 4-5 cases a year also Norma Tac 22 & Match rifle 22. Just pushed the range out to 200+ yards. Look on you tube as a guy was shooting golf balls at 250 yards with an air rifle. Have a old friend thats 68 & hasn't shot much since a kid & he comes over twice a week & he's really come along & has no problem & not good eyes. It's a Blast! So before knocking it did you shoot 8000+ rds last year?

Fly Lo-Shoot Straight!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This new Ruger doesn't interest me. The new Tikka does. I'm betting it will be very accurate and make a fine squirrel rifle.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by flylo
I'm a wood steel gun lover but mines coming in monday for $359/shipped from Whittakers, they got in 2. Ruger claims 1MOA. I shoot golf balls at 200 yards with CZs & Savages. Was shooting long range with 308 & 338 LM but started shooting rimfire for practice here on the farm & got hooked, badly hooked. I've found the cheap lead Aquila is accurate for me @ $208/shipped for a case of 5000 I shoot 4-5 cases a year also Norma Tac 22 & Match rifle 22. Just pushed the range out to 200+ yards. Look on you tube as a guy was shooting golf balls at 250 yards with an air rifle. Have a old friend thats 68 & hasn't shot much since a kid & he comes over twice a week & he's really come along & has no problem & not good eyes. It's a Blast! So before knocking it did you shoot 8000+ rds last year?

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle,
I do that with my slingshot.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flylo

Cabelas just had (may still) a killer deal on bricks of Tac 22. Keep us posted on how yours does. A few folks over on Rimfire Central are getting pretty impressive results with theirs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.