Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

My 14 year old grandson has been saving to buy a shotgun and is ready. He asked me for advice. I know very little current about shotguns. He has decided to get a 12 gauge at least 3 inch magnum for versatility. He is a husky strong kid, linebacker. Primarily he will hunt waterfowl in the PNW, maybe a few grouse and pheasant, and fairly likely to hunt deer with it. He has a .22, killed his first deer a few weeks ago with his bow and is part of a family that hunts hard and well, though none are shotgunners.

I think he has about $300-350 saved. Basic entry level shotgun with the main criteria that it is ruggedly reliable and works rain or shine. Used or new. I think that he likes pumps and has looked at Remington, Winchester, an old Ithaca 37, asked about Mossberg.

I told him that I would ask some folks who know more than I do. Brand? Model? What to avoid?

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
remington 870 with rem chokes. I like 28 inch. Are they pretty? no

For pump shotguns I have a few old ithaca model 37;s, rem wingmasters, win model 12 plus sxs's, ou's and 4 semi autos.. I like them better than a new 870 but for first time buyer and only shotgun , with replaceable chokes, cant beat them.

My second shotgun at age 16 was the 870 and shot trap, all upland, waterfowl, squirrels. turkeys and bought rifled barrel and shot a lot of deer with it.Never had an issue in over 30 years after 1000's and 1000's of rounds from number 7 1/2, 3inch duck, 2's bb's , slugs, buckshot etc

probably find good used for around $200 and use extra money for a quality after market waterfowl chokes and a turkey choke

Last edited by ribka; 12/30/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
2nd mossberg and or benelli nova

Last edited by ribka; 12/30/17.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lots of extraction and ejection woes with 870's lately. I personally know 2 people who bought new ones in the past year that didn't eject reliably. Plus the cheap "express" models rust if you stare at them too hard. Not a good thing for a waterfowl gun. I'd buy a Mossberg 500.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
benelli nova

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
i had 2 mb 500 with 3in chambers it kick so bad with buck shot you jacked the thing open when you shot it they went down the road. that was 35yrs ago dont no about them now?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info so far. I'm going to let this run for a few days but talked to grandson and will add a bit. I like the 870 features but he is wary of recent era Remingtons. A friend of his bought a Remington pump last year and it doesn't fire sometimes, and a few other times has apparently fired on its own if pumped hard.

The Benelli Nova is a new one to me and I like it. I assumed that all Benelli's were a lot more expensive. Will also check out the Mossberg 500. I recommended a synthetic stock to him. He lives near salt water on the Olympic Peninsula, wettest place in the lower 48.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Older model 37s were 2 3/4” guns and the newer guns tend to be more than $350. I too would look to a 870 for his budget. His friends experience certainly doesn’t mirro mine or anyone else I know with one. Don’t know the history of that piticular gun but it definitely needs a return to Remington as something is not right if he has experienced those issues.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
benelli nova x2

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
remington 870 with rem chokes. I like 28 inch. Are they pretty? no

For pump shotguns I have a few old ithaca model 37;s, rem wingmasters, win model 12 plus sxs's, ou's and 4 semi autos.. I like them better than a new 870 but for first time buyer and only shotgun , with replaceable chokes, cant beat them.

My second shotgun at age 16 was the 870 and shot trap, all upland, waterfowl, squirrels. turkeys and bought rifled barrel and shot a lot of deer with it.Never had an issue in over 30 years after 1000's and 1000's of rounds from number 7 1/2, 3inch duck, 2's bb's , slugs, buckshot etc

probably find good used for around $200 and use extra money for a quality after market waterfowl chokes and a turkey choke

+1

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For a new pump gun, the Benelli Nova is very hard to beat. They are impervious to abuse.

For an auto at that price, the Tristar Viper G2 will do what he needs for a long time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Okanagan,

For a 14YO, my choice would be a 12 gauge PUMP, rather than any semi-auto for a 14YO, by ANY of the major makers of such firearms.
(Personally, I like the old reliable Remington 870 & there are LOTS of used 870 pumps around in great condition for 200-300.oo. = The last 870 with 28" VR, that I bought, was 255.oo OTD from a vendor at the SA Gun Show.)

My latest 12-gauge pump-gun is TURKISH-made & cost me 175.oo new. - It's a GREAT pump for the $$$$.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 12/31/17. Reason: typo

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Remington 870- if he’s wary of new ones (I don’t think I would be)- there are plenty of used Wingmasters for sale. Come to think of it, I would prefer to find a used Wingmaster with choke tubes to a new Express which would be the one in his price range.

I also wouldn’t be afraid of a used 1187 with choke tubes, keep the gas port(s) clean, wipe the magazine tube off, and it’ll be just fine.

Heal quickly and don't scar.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rem 870 wingmaster (i.e. older, used, slick, solid). 12ga, 28inch, Modified.

He's 14 and isn't a shotgunner, doesn't live with shotgunner's, etc, and naturally whatever's in add copy today will heavily influence his thinking.

There's nothing any of those other guns offer to a complete beginner, with the stated hunting aspirations, that he would not learn from the above as well or better, given a modicum of tutelage. Think about it. Does a 14yo novice need to be worrying about whether his auto is the fastest? Whether he should've gone with IC rather than mod today? The latest camo? That's he's got 3 1/2" chambers rather than 3"? It's super-light? Of course not. It's vision, timing, and muscle memory. And as for deer, throw a sidemount saddle base on there seasonally and scope it if one must. Or not.

You or somebody take the boy a few times to informal skeet or 5-stand or whatever. Basics are what'll make the difference for him, not the shotgun, and that's what he'll remember and still be benefitting from 40 years from now.

I had a POS Mossberg 500 20ga Mod from boyhood till after college. It was a POS, but it was my POS, shot it respectably, and it did everything until could afford to branch out. Today I own a chit-ton of "nice stuff" - and frankly a decent 870 or two could suffice as well. And when he's 24, or 44, or 64, he can afford better to learn THAT lesson, too :-) But not now.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hate the way a Benelli Nova looks, can't stand the marketing, etc. But for a workaholic pump gun, it beats anything else being produced today. They are simply unbreakable in tough use. Also, get the kid a 26" barrel not a 28" unless the only thing he shoots are crossing shots on ducks.

We run Ithaca 37 because it is the best-designed pump ever for ease of use, and I love them. But a Nova will take more abuse and keep running without any complaint. Remington 870 quality/value has been hit-or-miss for about 20 years now. So unless you're buying an oldie for the kid, the Remington offers nothing of significance. And if going oldie-design, then an Ithaca is much easier to use than a Remington.

Try any one of these and he'll be happy. It might be cheapest to get the Tactical, then buy him the bird barrel to go with it. The camo version has to be quite a recent production gun since it has Max5.
Nova black $200
Nova black Tactical
Nova camo $225

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
For a new pump gun, the Benelli Nova is very hard to beat. They are impervious to abuse.

For an auto at that price, the Tristar Viper G2 will do what he needs for a long time.

+1. I had one of the early Tristar Viper G2s and it was a solid auto loader. Never had a complaint about it. Only sold it to help fund an O/U. I've seen them since new to gently used in the $350-400 range.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If he’s going to hunt waterfowl with steel, tungsten, Hevi-shot, he should have interchangeable choke tubes. I often use an improved choke for pass shooting in tighter quarters like cedar swamps, ponds, and rivers. I’ll second Sandcritter’s recommendation of an 870 as long as it has Remchokes. I wouldn’t worry about having the ability to shoot 3-1/2” shells. They’re largely unnecessary and ideally shot in an autoloader.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I never suggest getting a semi auto for a someone's, especially a minor, first firearm whether it be a shotgun, rifle pistol otherwise suggest a cheaper auto loader.

Id suggest at least 3 to 5 years getting used to handling, loading a firearm and demonstrating safe handling first but im old school.

i cringe whenever i see obvious first time firearm owners handling, glocks, ar's ak's in cabelas firearms counter and their sales people are just as bad.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I side with the 870 crowd. 12 ga 3" with cokes is all he will ever really need. Pumps that shoot 3 1/2" have a longer stroke that can be troublesome, especially to a new shooter.

I bought the 870 Wingmaster 3" at Gibsons Discount store for $125 in 1969. Still use it a lot, when I don't want to carry one of my doubles. I've never really warmed up to any of my semi-autos, except my 10 ga.

Best wishes to him.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ribka; Allen917,

AGREED 100% with both of you. = Saying that, I love my @ 40YO Browning Sweet 16 & money won't buy it. = Uncle Jimmy's shotgun.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Excellent info, as I knew we could get here at the 'Fire. Keep it coming as you think of stuff to add. I talked to his dad yesterday and grandson is willing to save up more for higher quality if he thinks that is worthwhile. I might be willing to subsidize him a bit... whistle

A question: Does the stock on the basic Benelli Nova absorb recoil like the stock does on a Super Nova? I can't tell for sure from reading their sales blurbs. I shot a high end Benelli auto a few years ago and was amazed at the low recoil that stock delivers.

FWIW I agree re not putting semi-autos in the hands of newbies. Even though a 10/22 is hard to resist, we have started my kids and grandkids on single shot or bolt .22 rifles. I've seen several instances of people who should know better taking out the magazine and leaving a hot round in the chamber of a 10/22 or other semi-auto. But I digress...

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/02/18. Reason: afterthot
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Old 870 Wingmaster and 2 3/4inch if that is what you find will do just fine.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Get him a used 1100 20 gauge with a imp or mod fixed. he can shoot anything with 2 3/4 inch stuff to normal shotgun ranges.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The grandson has shot clay pigeons quite a bit with several shotguns belonging to friends, mostly 12 gauge, which is partly why he wants to buy one himself.

The Benelli Nova low end pump shotgun does NOT come with the recoil reducing stock, so nix that query.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/02/18. Reason: new info
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mossberg 500 would be my suggestion as well. It has served me well, with no issues at all for about 20 years so far (iirc) and has interchangeable barrels. Rifled for sabots, smooth for shot or foster slugs, and more barrels available. Mine was new in the $500.00 range.
If recoil was the issue, a Browning A5 is hard to beat, but not recommended for a new shotgunner.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
benelli nova x3
I grew up on a 870 and shoot them better but the quality is questionable these days also if he starts out on a nova he'll never know the difference .

Last edited by byd; 01/02/18.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Take him out shopping for one and let him shoulder different ones and then he can pick it out. He will let ya know which one feels right to him. He might already have one in mind. I bet he has been talking to all his friends about shotguns also. If he gets a synthetic butt stock model . Take off the recoil pad and stuff the hollow with a long screwdriver with jammed in Wal-Mart bags and one pound of fishing sinkers . Use 1 oz sinkers wrap each in a bag and surround with others for pad around em . Put most of em along the inside of the comb line, and about 4oz down in the toe. Tames down recoil and improves balance to right under receiver in natural center of gravity of gun. Just a suggestion that has worked for me on various shotguns. A Simms pad in combo with this works extremely well. And what this does for a 835 turkey gun recoil with 2 oz loads is amazing. I have used this method on a 935 and a h&r excell auto. Also have done this to .22 target rifles to add weight for a more stable rifle on bags and better center of gravity / balance.

Last edited by renegade50; 01/03/18.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
Take him out shopping for one and let him shoulder different ones and then he can pick it out. He will let ya know which one feels right to him. He might already have one in mind. I bet he has been talking to all his friends about shotguns also. If he gets a synthetic butt stock model . Take off the recoil pad and stuff the hollow with a long screwdriver with jammed in Wal-Mart bags and one pound of fishing sinkers . Use 1 oz sinkers wrap each in a bag and surround with others for pad around em . Put most of em along the inside of the comb line, and about 4oz down in the toe. Tames down recoil and improves balance to right under receiver in natural center of gravity of gun. Just a suggestion that has worked for me on various shotguns. A Simms pad in combo with this works extremely well. And what this does for a 835 turkey gun recoil with 2 oz loads is amazing. I have used this method on a 935 and a h&r excell auto. Also have done this to .22 target rifles to add weight for a more stable rifle on bags and better center of gravity / balance.

Good stuff! Thank you! I have thought about doing something like that to add weight but never have. When working up loads I put a large, soft strap-on leg weight between my shoulder and the rifle butt and it reduces recoil considerably. The weight does far more to tame the recoil than the added padding.

The more I have looked into this the more I am wanting to buy a Benelli Super Nova pump for myself!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Get the boy a stoeger 3500 in maxx5 camo.

Proud supporter of the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Update: Got word today that the young man bought a Winchester Model 12. He came across one in good shape at a good price and knew enough of what he wanted to buy it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good enough. Is he going to shoot steel shot through it?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I've no idea. Is that bad to shoot steel from an older shogun?

He lives about a four hour drive from me and I was figuring to look at shotguns with him when I go down next week. I haven't owned a shogun for years but after checking out some shotguns for him I am leaning strongly toward picking up a Benelli Super Nova pump for myself by next Fall. laugh

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't think of a better choice!

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Update: Got word today that the young man bought a Winchester Model 12. He came across one in good shape at a good price and knew enough of what he wanted to buy it.

Smart young man. Tell him the next Model 12 16Ga he comes across to buy it also.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was going to say a older 870 or Ithaca 37

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
20 gauge 870

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I see the kid bought one...good choice on the model 12

Last edited by mjbgalt; 01/16/18.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
That is great news! I bet he grows to love that shotgun. I second battue’s comment as well.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Okanagan

I've no idea. Is that bad to shoot steel from an older shogun?

Yes, it can be quite "bad" to use steel in an older shotgun that has a tight choke. It can bulge the barrel near the choke.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't overlook a 20 gauge. Unless he is a dedicated waterfowler, a 20 will handle all upland game, skeet and sporting clays and neither overburden him with it's bulk or kick the snot out of him.

Don't want the lad to develop a flinch, do we?

Unless he is a very experienced gun handler, a pump (or even an over/under) would be a better choice than an autoloader for teens first shotgun. And unless he has adult length arms, consider a youth model or shorten the LOP. You can always get another buttstock later on when he grows some more.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maybe a used 12 ga Browning BPS. 3” is plenty. I think they are among the best made pumps, if a little heavy. I started out shooting 12 gauge a little younger than that. If it was a girl, would look at a 20 ga. But for a boy, even if a 12 is a touch big now, it will be fine in a year or two.

I had a 3.5” Mossberg 835 for a while. Most mule kicking gun I’ve ever shot, and I don’t mind Mossbergs. My 10 ga BPS is pretty tolerable in comparison.

Last edited by Slope77; 02/04/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry, missed that he bought one. Forget what I said.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Old shotguns and steel shot are not generally compatible. A set of screw in chokes could solve his problem. My M12 has a Cutts with an IC tube. That should handle steel.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For a general all around shotgun I'd get a Mossberg 500. An 870 Wingmaster (not an Express model) is not in his price range. I have an early 870 express and like it but I'd shy away from current ones. My son had a later express and it rusted very quick even with proper care.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bought an 870 when I was 15 with my hay making money....I almost flunked out of school loading ammo instead of homework...I shot tons of doves and pheasants ....and a few quail...kinda hard to hit with full choke....I still use that old 870 and it has never failed..I picked up an Ithaca 37 a few years ago and like it too.. Either one would be great....I would recommend a nicer model lik a wingmaster...this will be with him for life...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
333 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.