Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by gregintenn
You could end all police shootings by taking guns away from them.

Or alternatively by getting rid of all police. Neither scenario makes much sense to me.

Either would be an effective way of ending police shootings. I didn't say it was a good idea, I said it would produce the desired outcome stated in the OP.

The logic I've demonstrated here is how politicians make laws.

I got ya greg, just one upped your “logic”. IMO you wouldn’t eliminate police shootings but might curtail them if Chris rocks video “how not to get your azz kicked by the police” was part of the curriculum in the hood, they don’t seem to be teaching them English, so this couldn’t hurt

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ROFL laugh
good one

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
One way to end police shootings is for the bad guy to do what the officer tells him to do. This is usually to quit doing what he was doing that got the officers attention! Seems simple enough!

lightman
J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by JWD8310
I have this discussion with other officers all of the time. People say we need better training in mental health. Some say we need to aim at limbs. Some say we are too militarized. I have my own theory on how to prevent more shootings and prepare officers to deal with threats that don't have guns. There is a group of people who deal with that stuff daily with no guns and vastly inferior numbers. They know how to deal with the worst and get compliance without immediately resorting to violence. They deal well with mental health professionals and the mentally ill alike.

Correctional Officers.

Make people who want to be cops, start inside a major jail or prison. You don't bring guns inside. You learn team takedowns on people with sharp objects. You learn to be polite when bad guys outnumber you 100 to 1. You learn that people have problems but aren't all dirtbags and still have to be deserve to be treated like human beings. You learn to coat your words with honey instead of vinegar, just in case you have to eat them.

Many of us former and some current C/Os used to get looked down on by guys on the road. Now that Im on the road and am involved with hiring at times, I look down on those who don't have that experience. I always treat booking C/Os with respect.

I'd be interested to know how you serve, and who you serve with.

First off, when you are justified in using deadly force, you shoot to kill. You don't "wing" anyone on purpose. That is a very basic rule of deadly force, and in any basic police training. If someone that is LEO is suggesting that method, they need fired. Now.

Comparing correctional officers to patrol officers is worse than apples to oranges for comparison.

A team of correction officers may indeed rush an armed prisoner and take him down in the right circumstances, if need be, but it would have to be an emergency situation with no other means.

To even suggest that guards do this is insane, and has regard for officer safety. If a prisoner place themselves in a situation like that, WGAF if they live or die? That's the wages of committing that crime.

Patrol officers don't have the luxury of locking a suspect in a cell and calling in the cavalry to handle the situation. It's real world, and you don't know who is going to pull what weapon and do with it as they please.

Thinking either you never had time on the street, or maybe didn't last long there.

I just wrote that really poorly. It should have read, "we discuss the suggestions of the public". It's not our or my suggestion to shoot limbs.

As far as the comparison between custody and patrol, I'm not saying everything is cross compatible, but I do think custody handles
some things better. Team tactics and equipment to subdue an inmate with a weapon do work, and we did them quite often in the facility I worked at, which was close custody by population with a maximum unit. We also had a lot of mentally ill inmates who you learn a lot about due to exposure on a daily basis. I think custody and probation does this much better than patrol due to that constant use of the skill and familiarity they develop.

I was a custody officer for four years and have been on the road ten. I agree it's not always feasible to wait for more people and things can dissolve quickly, but if you got time, use it and come up with something better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
".... Some say we need to aim at limbs...."

So say people that have never been in a pants chitting situation.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Team tactics and equipment to subdue an inmate with a weapon do work, and we did them quite often in the facility I worked at..."

How does that work when it's 2:00 A.M. and you're alone with a violent pissed off drunken/tweaking ex-con with back up 20+ minutes away? And that back up guy ain't no team and he isn't hauling any specialized equipment either.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by GuyM
I look down on those who don't have that experience.

So a cop who chose a different path than yours is looked down upon?

Dang.

Or some experience in something. New officers who don't have that background have a much longer learning curve and very rarely have any experience going hands-on with someone or talking someone off a ledge. Come from the military, a rough neighborhood, worked in a bar, something. I prefer applicants who qualify with the 2 years college and 2 years qualifying experience vs the OR 4 year degree option.

J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by MOGC
"Team tactics and equipment to subdue an inmate with a weapon do work, and we did them quite often in the facility I worked at..."

How does that work when it's 2:00 A.M. and you're alone with a violent pissed off drunken/tweaking ex-con with back up 20+ minutes away? And that back up guy ain't no team and he isn't hauling any specialized equipment either.

How about you read the part that said, "it's not always feasible".

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Amazing how many are known because of the 24-7 news cycle.

Most of these things would not happen if the folks that wind up on the loosing end did not do the things that started the altercation in the first place.

Most started when folks thought they could do what they wanted when the police told them to one thing.

Then there are folks that just think that no one should be shot because it's not their fault.
Then there are folks that should be locked up in asylums that are allowed to run rampant in society because feel good folks thought it would be a good idea to let them run loose.
Even if they took their meds they have gone off the rails.

There have always been folks that were shot by the police but the few that were done by bad cops have made it a harder job to to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm calling cops Ruby's from now on.

Maybe they'll get it eventually that the public is tired of being shot.

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/30/17.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How about you answer the question?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

If you can't figure out how that answers the question, then Im not sure what anyone or anything can do for you at this point.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have this discussion with other officers all of the time. People say we need better training in mental health. Some say we need to aim at limbs. Some say we are too militarized. I have my own theory on how to prevent more shootings and prepare officers to deal with threats that don't have guns. There is a group of people who deal with that stuff daily with no guns and vastly inferior numbers. They know how to deal with the worst and get compliance without immediately resorting to violence. They deal well with mental health professionals and the mentally ill alike.

Correctional Officers.

Make people who want to be cops, start inside a major jail or prison. You don't bring guns inside. You learn team takedowns on people with sharp objects. You learn to be polite when bad guys outnumber you 100 to 1. You learn that people have problems but aren't all dirtbags and still have to be deserve to be treated like human beings. You learn to coat your words with honey instead of vinegar, just in case you have to eat them.

Many of us former and some current C/Os used to get looked down on by guys on the road. Now that Im on the road and am involved with hiring at times, I look down on those who don't have that experience. I always treat booking C/Os with respect.

Go into a pod at a county jail with felons according to their classification, waiting on slots for prison at state and federal level. Outnumbered 48-1......
And you still manage to be told, that your being fired for a history of excessive force breaking up fights. BTDT..... Honestly I hated the job and felt great driving home that day. The funny thing is i run into inmates from the jail all the time all over town. Ain't had 1 bad experience from any of them, talk to them about whatever..... Most of our county road deputies did 2-3 yrs as deputy jailers 1st. It would be a good idea to make em jailers 1st. JMO....

Last edited by renegade50; 12/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you can't figure out how that answers the question, then Im not sure what anyone or anything can do for you at this point.

So no answer, check. BTW, try incorporating some of those verbal skills you supposedly learned as a jailer into your written responses here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by lightman
One way to end police shootings is for the bad guy to do what the officer tells him to do. This is usually to quit doing what he was doing that got the officers attention! Seems simple enough!

Rodney King, LA riot fame, got his AZZ whooped................ oddly enough 4 others were arrested at the same time by the same cops that did NOT get their collective AZZes whooped!?!?!?

Selective racism!?!? Or maybe there was ONE guy that didn't follow the cops orders............ actually he probably couldn't since he was drunk or high on pcp or some CHITT....

Some have mused:

Can you stop cop shootings by taking away all guns.............. sure!

Can you stop cop shootings by doing away with all cops............... sure!

Or you could go the full liberal route and rescind ALL Laws........... and instantly crime rate drops to ZERO!

Ok now back to reality........................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J

So no answer, check. BTW, try incorporating some of those verbal skills you supposedly learned as a jailer into your written responses here.

Stop resisting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understood what JWD posted. Made some good points too.

Last edited by MadMooner; 12/30/17.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've seen criminals that need shooting. I've also seen a sackful of cops who could use a good ole fashioned asswhoopin as well. My biggest gripe with cops is that pretty much ALL of them will stick up for one bad cop no matter what. Clean out your own closet first, and it'll go a long way to regaining the public's trust.

I've little use for cops or criminals. The less I have to be around either, the better.

Last edited by gregintenn; 12/30/17.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Not shooting unarmed, non aggressive people would be a good start.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
JWD8310 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not shooting unarmed, non aggressive people would be a good start.

Absolutely. We have a new officer who is 24. She graduated from college, worked as a secretary until she could get hired. Pretty sheltered life. We go out to a house where we were meeting with a homeowner to get permission to place a camera to watch other folks. He comes out with a holstered Glock. She whispers to me, "he's got a gun". I whispered back, "and the right to bear it too". I understand it was probably her first encounter with someone with a gun while working and it was a learning experience, but I found it funny.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 674 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.