Print Thread
Hop To
J
JSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Lapua is not offered and I want to step up a bit in quality from Win/Rem/Fed in a couple of options. Speaking of recent manufacture is there a significant difference between these two? Nosler is normally more expensive but often available from Shooters Pro Shop at a discount so lets assume similar pricing. I used to be a regular user of Winchester but have had some pretty spotty quality control lately.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I favor the Nosler brass. I have only used in in one cartridge , a 7 Saum. It has held up very well shooting maximum loads with a lot of them loaded over a dozen times.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry Lapua not an option. Maby a re-chamber may be a consideration:)

I generally have not felt Nosler is worth the extra coin when selling at anywhere near list price. I do feel Nosler prep may be a little better & unfortunatly Nosler does seem to have a reputation for softer brass based on my observations.

I have liked loading different brands of brass w different loads to additional segregate diffrent loads one more way. This is the only reason to keep any Noz around IMHO.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 12/31/17.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I bought Noz brass for four different cartridges about 3 years ago and all of it was soft--very soft. I bought WW brass last year for two different cartridges and it's as good as it has been in the past. Others have said Nosler brass has been good for them. I have 243 brass in Nosler purchased a few years ago, Hornady, and WW purchased in the last few months. Hornady had the greatest variability in weight with about 80% being within my parameters (which ain't particularly narrow), Nosler and WW 95% within my parameters. WW had the lightest brass (as is often the case) Nosler had the least variability in neck wall thickness, WW a very close second and Hornady a close third. I don't use the LCD neck die so neck wall thickness is not as critical for me to get straight ammo.

Until Winchester shows me different that's what I'm generally buying.............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Plus the Noz brass primer pockets were so friggin' tight I could not get WW or Fed primers to fully seat with my Lee hand held tool and had to resort to my RCBS bench priming tool.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a bag of Sig Elite brass for my 243 a few months back and have been very pleased with it. Price is competitive with WW/Rem. I'll be buying more. Between Nosler and Horn, I prefer Nosler, but like others have said, only if on sale.

Last edited by bludog; 12/30/17.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My one and only experience with Nosler brass was some 7-08 brass. I had to completely resize every piece of the new brass before it would chamber in my rifle. Tight chamber?........maybe, but after resizing the brass, it fit just fine.

Used a lot of Hornady brass with nary a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've run into that problem also with Nosler brass. In 25 06 and 7mm STW. The 25 06 wouldn't chamber and the STW was so tight you needed force to close the bolt. Now I resize every piece regardless. Should add the last batch for my 338 win has been fantastic in every way

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I use the nosler for my 280 AI and have been very happy with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,142 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.