Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Spent the day yesterday hiking in the Smokys on the North Carolina side. Only did about 12.5 miles but included a 1700 foot climb over 1.5 miles and a shorter 700 foot climb over a bit less than 1 mile. Not a big hiking day for us but we did it at an average of 3 mph, only stopped twice for water and snack. Temp was 26 when we started and never got above freezing until the end of the day when we came down; probably reached mid 30's. I wore Patagonia 2/midweight next the my skin and a 200 wt, 1/4 zip fleece most of the day. I did throw on a light puffy twice for a bit when we ran into some wind on the shady side of the mountain.

I still like Patagonia next to the skin. Merino feels better but the Patagonia dries much quicker and doesn't leave me feeling clammy. I did notice I never felt sweat running down my back. I also noticed my GPS face had water condensation on the screen from riding next to my fleece, presumably from water vapor moving through the capalene and fleece. I've worn this setup alot when the temps are in the 20'-30's during winter hiking and it plain works. I've used a very similar setup before I discovered merino. Going back to synthetic next to skin with a second synthetic layer over the thin next-to-skin base layer.

I've noticed something I missed in past years when I wore synthetics next to the skin - I stay cleaner at the end of the day. When we arrived home, I didn't have that sticky feeling when I peeled off my clothes. If I was hunting/backpacking I wouldn't have taken/needed a shower. I noticed the same thing earlier this week and last week when I was deer hunting after wearing the First Lite Aerowool. In fact I wore the exact same FL Aerowool for 3 straight days this week to see how it handled moisture and odor. I did bath after wearing it for 2 days - no smell, no sticky feeling. I've ordered a second FL Aeorowool Minneret shirt as a next-to-skin base layer for hunting. They dry quick, don't stink, and feel like merino next to my skin. They have a winner.

On FL clothing, I also wore the North Branch bib all week hunting. Those pants work as advertised. It was cold in the AM all 3 days I hunted (16-20 degrees). I wore 2 base layers under the bibs. I noticed I never sweated, got warm - yes, sweated - no. My cell phone was in the outer thigh pocket and it was fogged over several times, presumably due to water vapor escaping the pants. I'm going to like the North Branch bibs. FL really needs to put a hood on the NB jacket................ I do hear thats coming in 2018, I'm hoping its unveiled next week at DSC.

Next-to-skin layers that work well in moving moisture away from skin:

First Lite Aerowool Minneret
Outdoor Research Sequence
Patagonia Cap 1 (Daily)/ Cap 2 (Midweight)

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340boy

I've been using the Cap 1 and 2 exclusively for years now. I find that a R1 Hoody works better for me, over a Cap1or2.The Cap3&4 have been languishing in my closet for years.

I've never owned the Cap 3 or 4 - why do they sit in your closet? I'm chewing on buying one of each and trying them out for winter hiking - which are much like the temps and terrain of alot of my elk hunting minus the altitude. My thought is a Cap 1 or 2 next to skin, Cap 3/4 over to wear during early AM hikes to my destinations. Arrive then put on whatever clothing the temps call for. I've been doing this for years - its only after I tried thick merino next to my skin (260 wt) that the cold/clammy feeling stayed with me for way too long.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by 340boy

I've been using the Cap 1 and 2 exclusively for years now. I find that a R1 Hoody works better for me, over a Cap1or2.The Cap3&4 have been languishing in my closet for years.

I've never owned the Cap 3 or 4 - why do they sit in your closet? I'm chewing on buying one of each and trying them out for winter hiking - which are much like the temps and terrain of alot of my elk hunting minus the altitude. My thought is a Cap 1 or 2 next to skin, Cap 3/4 over to wear during early AM hikes to my destinations. Arrive then put on whatever clothing the temps call for. I've been doing this for years - its only after I tried thick merino next to my skin (260 wt) that the cold/clammy feeling stayed with me for way too long.

B,
I found the Cap 3&4 too warm to make a good base laser for me. The "breathability" especially wasn't nearly as good as the 1&2. In fact, my experience has been that a Cap1 in combination with an R1 is warmer, with better moisture management than any other system I have tried. It is also more versatile- if I overheat I can simply shed the R1.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting. I'm looking at/evaluating a lightweight next-to-skin base layer with a heavier layer over. The second layer is to provide more moisture management and warmth. Fleece type garments have always worked well for me in the second layer department. In fact, I have a whole assortment of different layer fleeces for the purpose. I'm looking at more technical clothing as the second layer, the R1 looking like a good candidate. I don't want too much insulation but 'some' depending on the temp and wind conditions.

I'm looking at these as a second layer:

Kuiu Peleton 200
Outdoor Research Starfire hoodie
Outdoor Research Radiant Lt
Outdoor Research Transition hoodie
Outdoor Research Radiant Lt Hybrid
Polartec 300 wt fleece
Sitka Core Heavyweight hoody
Sitka Fanatic hoody

I'm leaning toward the Kuiu Peleton 200. The R1 looks really interesting and in the same genre.

Opinions on these choices for a moisture management/warmth second layer?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bwinters
Interesting. I'm looking at/evaluating a lightweight next-to-skin base layer with a heavier layer over. The second layer is to provide more moisture management and warmth. Fleece type garments have always worked well for me in the second layer department. In fact, I have a whole assortment of different layer fleeces for the purpose. I'm looking at more technical clothing as the second layer, the R1 looking like a good candidate. I don't want too much insulation but 'some' depending on the temp and wind conditions.

I'm looking at these as a second layer:

Kuiu Peleton 200
Outdoor Research Starfire hoodie
Outdoor Research Radiant Lt
Outdoor Research Transition hoodie
Outdoor Research Radiant Lt Hybrid
Polartec 300 wt fleece
Sitka Core Heavyweight hoody
Sitka Fanatic hoody

I'm leaning toward the Kuiu Peleton 200. The R1 looks really interesting and in the same genre.

Opinions on these choices for a moisture management/warmth second layer?

Maybe a bit more than what you’re looking for, but I’m going to try the Sitka Kelvin Active as the next layer above a capalene base.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I have the 'thin base layer - active insulation' thing covered with the Kuiu Kenai and various next-to-skin base layers. I'm not sold on the concept yet mainly because I tried this earlier in the year and didn't have enough 'warmth' with just the Kenai, base layer, and Kuiu Guide jacket at 35 degrees. I'm waffling between a thin base layer - thinish second layer with an insulating puffy in my pack and a thin base layer with a more substantial second layer and puffy in the pack. I'm leaning toward the latter. I seem to do alot of 2-3 mile hike ins, then stand around for 2-3 hours with temps in the teens to 20's. I also do alot of still hunting in those same temps. They seem to require slightly different setups to be comfortable for the day - I very seldom go back to camp during mid-day. What I take in is what I have for the day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good info. The wind is a big killer for me/us and makes what normally works seem like not enough. Amy thoughts on the wind shell? Also, when younger gloves were a second thought. Now can't keep the hands warm, let alone gloves you can shoot in.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As for wind - depends on what I'm doing. If I'm active, I can live with a really breathable layer - it helps moisture/temperature control, but you will need some type of wind break or insulating layer if/when you stop for any length of time. Thats my issue with straight fleece as a mid layer - its offers no wind protection unless you get a fleece jacket designed as such. Then it tends to be too warm for the mid layer application.

I generally default to some type of wind control on my outer shell. I do a really simple test - I stick my hand under the garment and blow on it. I determine its wind fighting capabilities depending on how much I feel on my hand. It works for me. I just about always have my outer layer as pretty dang wind resistant. Wind sucks, especially when its cold out. I've never been as cold as when its cold, windy, and humid. A trifecta of miserableness.

Gloves - people laugh at me......... I'm not a glove/mitten wearer. I wear Glacier Gloves. These:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Glacier-Glove-Premium-Fleece-Fingerless-Hunting-RealTree-Kenai-Glove-Medium/332489173573?epid=1101997173&hash=item4d69e62a45:g:rvoAAOSw9mpaNLyZ

I use handwarmers in my pockets. I wore these earlier this week when temps were 16 degrees. Didn't need the handwarmers this week because I was plenty warm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man, wish my hands would stay warm that easy. I guess they were when I was younger.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I am not hunting from a tent, or bivouac, the first two to four hours of my (mountain) hunt will always be climbing, and climbing means sweating. Always, regardless how cold it is, I will always sweat if I am hiking long enough and steep enough.

In this conditions I will only wear a sinthetic top, either a Sitka Core Lightweight Crew or a Midweight Zip-T, depending on temperatures. For me, sintetics wick moisture out better than wool and dries faster. If it is raining or snowing I wear Sitka´s Stormfront jacket with the armpit zips open and will walk more gently, trying to produce less steam.

When I pass the tree line and start glassing, and/or when I start hunting the tops, I always change it to wear a dry Kuiu Ultra 145 Merino with or without a cashmere jersey over it, depending on how cold it is. In dry weather I will hang the used sintetic from a loop in my back pack and it will dry quickly. Otherwise it goes inside the pack and dry it when I get back to the cabin, or put it inside my sleeping bag to dry during the night if I am sleeping in the mountain. I always carry a spare sintetic but use the same one merino during the hunt.

Over my Ultra Merino and cashmere I use KUIU`s Super Down as an insultation layer, either the Ultra or the Pro, depending on how much insutation I think I will need, and either Sitka's Jetstream soft shell plus their Stormfront jackets, if I only expect the occassional rain or snow, or KUIU's Yukon Jacket if I expect it to be humid althroughout the hunt.

This is what works for me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STS45
Great video demonstrating the differences between synthetic and merino. I think I'll be moving towards synthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHFBMT_pR9Y&t=0s

Good video. And a good argument for synthetics and a good puffy.

Thinking about this a bit - it would have been nice if they jumped into the water with their full gear on, then walked it dry. I'll likely try this test this winter, all except the jumping in the cold water part. I'll soak it then put it on........

Last edited by bwinters; 01/01/18.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I liked the video as well. It would really be interesting if the two guys switched and jumped in again. Was it just their personal physiology or the materials? I suspect the materials, but that would have nailed that door shut!

i used to use merinos as a base layer but have gravitated back to synthetics. I still find merinos get itchy by the end of the day and they seem to dry slower as well which now makes sense after reading this and watching that video.

I do a fair amount of pheasant hunting in temps from +40 to -10 with occasional hunts as low as -24. On monday, I finished the year on a -8 degree hunt. Wicking is sooo important as you will sweat pounding cattails.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't try that right now, at least not out east. You'll be a block of ice! Great time to be testing warm gear...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just picked up a First Lite Aerowool 1/4" shirt to try this week on my Arizona OTC mule deer hunt. Going to run that with a Kuiu Peloton 240 and along with a Kifaru parka I just got to try.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'd like to know the difference in insulation and moisture wicking properties between a Sitka Kelvin Active and Kuiu Peloton 240. Seems as though they'd fill a similar role. The Sitka has DWR which is nice when serving as an outer layer. Anyone who has tried both I'd like your thoughts. (Edit2: I already asked this earlier...short memory)

Edit: maybe the Kuiu Chinook is is a better comparison to the Kelvin Active? So many good choices...

Last edited by prm; 01/03/18.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think Sitka Kelvin Active = Kuiu Kenai rather than the Peleton 240. I have both the Kenai and Peleton 240 - they are different animals.

STS - you'll like the Aerowool. I'd like to hear your thoughts when you get back.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
bwinters, what are your thoughts of the Peleton 240 over a capelene base (or Aerowool) and then a Guide DCS over that? I'm really trying to determine the benefits of the Peleton 240 vs. the Chinook jacket. I have a DCS Guide jacket already. What I need is a layer over the base to wear when climbing on cool/cold mornings. It must move moisture. On Kuiu's site they state the Chinook is "our most breathable soft shell jacket" and that appeals to me.
If it got cold, or I stopped to glass, the Kifaru Lost Park would go on top.

Last edited by prm; 01/03/18.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the 240 and have worn it over a FL Minnerett Aerowool. If your moving that combo is good down to ~ 40-45 degrees. Add the Guide DCS over the Minerett and 240 and you could be good down to 20-25 if your moving. I'm looking at that exact combo, likely buy a Peleton 200, and adding a puffy for all my mid-late October elk hunting.

I still hunted the first AM of the TN gun season this year with a Outdoor Research Sequence next-to-skin and a Kuiu Ultra Merino 210 hoody. Temps were 40 or so with a pretty good breeze. It was plenty. I took a stand at lunch and again the last 2-3 hours before dark. I slipped the 240 on over both while on stand and was good.

I sent my Chinook back after wearing the 240............

I 'think' I have my mid layer narrowed down to the Patagonia R1 hoody and the Kuiu Peleton 200 hoody. I'll likely buy both - I do alot of hiking in the Smokys so it won't be overkill.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Great, thanks. Anything specific about the Chinook you didn’t like? Was it more insulated?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
bwinters, what are your thoughts of the Peleton 240 over a capelene base (or Aerowool) and then a Guide DCS over that? I'm really trying to determine the benefits of the Peleton 240 vs. the Chinook jacket. I have a DCS Guide jacket already. What I need is a layer over the base to wear when climbing on cool/cold mornings. It must move moisture. On Kuiu's site they state the Chinook is "our most breathable soft shell jacket" and that appeals to me.
If it got cold, or I stopped to glass, the Kifaru Lost Park would go on top.

I'm not bwinters, but I have a good collection of Kuiu stuff and can tell you I have no idea what the Chinook jacket was invented for. Absolutely useless when taken in context with a complete layering system. Maybe bowhunters would like it, I don't know. Certainly, as a matter of usefulness or lack thereof, it should not be their most expensive soft-shell. All in all, I'd put money elsewhere.

The 240 is a good piece of gear, except it doesn't hold up to snagging on brush very well. If you buy one, you'll know what I mean pretty quick. Wear it doing day chores around the house and you'll look down and say WTH are all these snags from?

I'd look at the Peloton 200, which is a totally different weave. Or just a solid fleece from North Face, Patagonia, etc for around $100.

Kuiu, like any other company, makes some good stuff and makes some dogs. I'd rate their zip-off bottom base layers and the Guide pants as "can't live without" products. I also really like the Teton/Kenai insulated jackets. Super Down, Super Down Pro, and Guide jacket are middle of the road. They are good, but don't exceed the competitors in any way. Chinook is pretty useless. 240 is a good idea, but they gotta fix the snag issue or its pretty much useless for hunting.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

122 members (264mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 24 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,473
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.