Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Guy, I like 'purty' in guns too. They say in the race world, "chrome won't get you home", but it looks GOOD.

I don't like UGLY guns, WIMMENS, trucks etc. That reminds me, I will not drive a TRD, short for turd, truck. shocked - laugh laugh

In guns & WIMMENS, sometimes they look better than they PERFORM. smirk
And "that's the truth !" grin

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/06/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Thank You JDK.

In 1999 our deer virtually disappeared. Nearly everyone in our lease had QUIT hunting. I had +/- 2000 acres to myself. I still hunted, I stalked, I tried SCARING deer in open areas. I walked miles & miles, & miles. I could not JUMP a deer anywhere.

One evening late in the season I said, "I'm going to get 'meat in the pot' out tomorrow and check it. At noon I took it to an old vacant mine and checked zero. I decided ONE MORE place to try. I sat on a steep hillside looking INTO the wind. Just before dark 2 deer came out feeding.
I moved ever so slowly. One of them saw something and looked up and FROZE. Too late. I held on the point of her right shoulder - BOOM -
Meat In The Pot ! !

I inherited My Dad's Model Six 270 so my Son has inherited My FIRST one. He has killed several deer with it since.

Thanks Again

Jerry

Cool story! Was EHD/Blue Tongue the culprit?

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mike74
Thank You JDK.
One evening late in the season I said, "I'm going to get 'meat in the pot' out tomorrow and check it. At noon I took it to an old vacant mine and checked zero. I decided ONE MORE place to try. I sat on a steep hillside looking INTO the wind. Just before dark 2 deer came out feeding.
I moved ever so slowly. One of them saw something and looked up and FROZE. Too late. I held on the point of her right shoulder - BOOM -
Meat In The Pot ! !
I inherited My Dad's Model Six 270 so my Son has inherited My FIRST one. He has killed several deer with it since.
Thanks Again
Jerry

Cool story! Was EHD/Blue Tongue the culprit?

No, nothing so drastic. Our season was/is 5 weeks (6 weekends) so it covered a fair amount of time. Our lease was not all in 1 block.
I don't remember now but the section I/we were hunting was +1000 acres. The first couple of weeks was near normal - except for me. I just could not get in the right place at the right time.

Later - it was a combination of things. The hunting pressure on that parcel was stout and the food source also changed. I found out very late in the season from local private land owners that the deer had 'MOVED' west OFF our lease on to private property. I never did figure out what that food source was but it was not locals feeding the deer.

The following year was 'near' normal so there was no disease involved. I say near, Christmas Day '99 we had a terrible ice storm that lasted MORE than a week. + on New Year's Day 2000 we had a big Snow storm. The paper co.s of S Ark lost millions in damaged trees. They harvested as much FOR pulp wood they could, then SOLD off lots of acres. During those few weeks we did lose some deer to starvation. The ice and THEN snow on top kept the deer from eating. - sorry, don't know how to rotate pix, yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back to my hunting in '99. I moved N to another section of our lease. There was 40 acres of private land inside that section. We had a driveable R. O. W. / firebreak on 2 sides. I set up on the E side of that private land ON the r o w. The 2 deer came off our lease into the edge of the r.o.w. to feed. That was the ONLY deer I killed in the '99 season.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Nice collection Jwall.....congrats!......Hb

Thank You VaH.

The only reason they are all M Sixes is the 7600 & Six were introduced at the same time in 1981.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't recall how long but the first FEW yrs. there was only $20.00 diff between the 7600 & Six. Eventually Rem dropped the Six because people were NOT spending the $20.00 more than the 7600. People ? People ? I felt then and especially now, the features of the Six were worth $20.00 more.

[Linked Image]

These 3 pix show the features I really liked/like. I don't regret buying Sixes. I preferred the fore handle somewhat cone or wedged shaped.
The Six pistol grip is smaller in diameter. The Six also has the cartridge head of the 'cal' or chambering of the rifle embedded in bottom of the receiver.

I liked the LESS and LARGER locking lugs. Some people 'think', 'say' the Six/7600 have 3, well you can see more than that. The magazine release button is larger and flatter - than on 760s.

In the 90s the M Six brought $300.00 The 7600 was $280.00 in our part of the country. YES I LIKE the old Remingtons.

Jerry

Those friggin Remington brochures fueled my fire many many years ago. I'd loose sleep until I got to town for the latest copies. Weatherby was another. In the early 70s it was all about deep blue and high gloss. [bleep] gorgeous rifles.

Last edited by Otter6; 01/07/18.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As for the years plans.

Acquire a Montana in 280AI. Just because.

Diversify my optics a bit. Got my first Meostar recently. If it works out,there might be a couple more.

Cash in my Colorado deer points. 11 years of playing the game. It time to go.

Get the boat out more. All work and no fishing makes the old man cranky.

Survive back surgery. Looking into laser currently.

Bout it.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Otter6

[Linked Image]

Those friggin Remington brochures fueled my fire many many years ago. I'd loose sleep until I got to town for the latest copies. Weathering was another. In the early 70s it was all about deep blue and high gloss. [bleep] gorgeous rifles.

laugh laugh I heard THAT !

I tried hard to get Rem., Win., Ruger, & S-W "catalogs" they called them.

I STILL have several of those. 1981 was a VERY good year. Rem brought out the M Six-- & Win. brought out the XTR FTWT !!
I DROOLED and drooled --- COST me $$$$$$ too. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
-Spring Gobbler
-Load development for a few rifles
-New scopes (upgrades) have been fitted to a couple rifles, so some sighting in for those.
-The regular range sessions to stay sharp and have fun.
-Varmints
-Chucks
-Archery deer
-Bears next November with friends in PA

Hope to explore some new hunting grounds and put up another stand or two. Will be exploring for elk. I'd like to do a Moose trip, but probably not in the cards for '18.

No new rifles. Might sell a few...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I will do my normal WY high country mule deer hunt (assuming I don't get drawn for unit 102) and I am sure I will do my normal Montana mule deer hunt. I have been thinking about whacking a whitetail this coming year as it has been a while since I have taken a good whitetail.

If I don't get any good draws for other critters this year from NM, WY, MT, ID or AK, I may try to fit a sitka deer hunt in during the November rut.

I am sure I will hunt with my normal .223 Rem and 6.5x284 NORMA, but one never knows with me.

Since we're talking about hunting plans in general and not just deer:

Chuckar next Friday and Sunday-maybe an easy quail hunt on Saturday since the dogs need a day a rest between chuckar hunts.
One more chuckar hunt at the end of this month.
I'll get some coyote hunts thrown in here and there.
Wolf in Montana next month.
Spring turkey in Montana.
Maybe spring bear here in Wyoming if I get the urge.
My normal elk and antelope hunts here in Wyoming.
Mountain and sage-grouse here in Wyoming as much as possible.
Pheasants in both Idaho and South Dakota are very likely again.

I'll be doing a lot of fishing this year, like normal:
In June I will be in Appalachicola Florida again for sea trout and maybe some reds.
In late July I will be in Ketchikan Alaska again for salmon and halibut plus whatever else wants to bite.
Lots and lots of local trips for trout.
I am sure I will get in some bass fishing somewhere and most certainly some Golden trout trips in the Wind Rivers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will go back to Colorado for elk again next year, back to the ranch that I have hunted for the last 20 years. Don't know about deer yet--both mule deer and whitetails are draw tags in New Mexico. The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will try for a Coues whitetail one more time. I was able to get around up in the mountains pretty well this year, so I reckon I should be able to do it again next year.

As far as the rifle goes, I am pretty determined to either buy or build one more. It will be a lightweight--either a 6.5-.284 or a .280 AI. If I get it done, I will probably carry it some on the elk hunt as well as on the deer hunt--but, I still need to kill a bull with the .338-.280 Howell that Ken gave me.

Last edited by mudhen; 01/07/18.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
I will go back to Colorado for elk again next year, back to the ranch that I have hunted for the last 20 years. Don't know about deer yet--both mule deer and whitetails are draw tags in New Mexico. The Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I will try for a Coues whitetail one more time. I was able to get around up in the mountains pretty well this year, so I reckon I will should able to do it again next year.

If your travels to CO take you through the 4 Corners area give me shout. Lunch is on me.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Posted 1-1-2018

I already put a NEW scope on my 6mm Rem. this AM.

I also have a load with 100 H SP. I have killed deer with this gun & load several yrs. back. Since I'm now shooting CNS shots, I won't have to worry about property lines. laugh I plan to use it this Fall.

I didn't get around to using my 6.5X55 with 120 NBT this year so I plan to use it & the 6mm this Fall.

Those are my plans SO FAR for 2018.

ANY projects you got going or on schedule?
Jerry

Well my plans have already been SKEWED !!

I HAD planned to hunt my 6mm & Swede. NOW I have a NEW to me Tikka T 3x in 7mm R M. I already have 2 loads that work good.
I «could » get a lb of Rl 22 or 26 to try BUT I have a stash of Surplus 4831 I need to decrease SOOO...

Now, I plan to start with the T 3, 7 Mag and then the 6mm, then the Swede. ? ? ?

What I might do is start with the 7, kill 1, then use the 6, kill one and then use the Swede. ? ?

There’s another possibility on the horizon..... so who knows ?

I might need help ?? confused I ain’t sure tho. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am in the process of rebarrelling a tang safety M77 to 7x64. The fact that I have a 7x57 and a .280 is beside the point. I have a few rifles chambered in European rounds and I thought the 7x64 would fit right in (6.5x55, 7x57, .303, 8x57 & 9.3x62). The barrel is stainless only because my gunsmith won't work with chrome moly so I will have to get it cerakoted. That will be a first for me. I am very traditional and like blued steel and walnut. The bluing on the old Ruger is just about 100% so I hope the cerakote finish can match the action. I should probably get the whole rifle cerakoted I suppose. It has turned into rather an expensive operation with having to order a reamer from the States. I'm getting it cut to 23 inches just because I don't have a 23 inch barrel rifle and plan to load 140 - 150gn bullets. I will start with the 150gn Ballistic Tips and my local powders (H4350 and H4831sc) and also Re19. I have a 20 year old Leupold M8 6x36 that will suit the old rifle.

Just to rub insult into injury, a Sako 85 in excellent condition, chambered in 7x64, has popped up on a local used gun site for about what this rebarrel job will cost. But I have already started the process so too late to pull out now. And somehow I think I'd rather have the old Ruger than a pretty Sako.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't traveled to hunt deer in years. I live in a part of the world where people come from all over to hunt Coues whitetails and desert mule deer, and I have been hooked on hunting the little whitetails that live in our mountains ever since arriving here almost 30 years ago. However, I am thinking that I might try to plan a trip to eastern Nebraska this year. I kind of have an urge to try and shoot one more big farm-fed Nebraska whitetail before I have to quit.

My stepson's in-laws have a bunch of farm ground, and I have never visited without seeing a lot of deer moving around. I have wanted him to go with me. We used to hunt every year down here before he went off to grad school and met a Nebraska girl whom he married. However, he grew up on a ranch down here, prowling the mountains and glassing for whitetails and mulies. He hates to sit in a deer blind, which is pretty much the only way to hunt up there.

Maybe if I ask one more time he will make an exception for the old man and go with me this year. I hope so.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm hoping to pull a SD Black Hills tag this season. I'll be bringing my 7x57 M70 for sure. If my 6.5CM ever gets here I'll probably bring that as well. If not, the back up will be the RAR compact in .223 Rem.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Javelina and pigs in Texas in March.

Axis Deer in May

Nothing past that....yet....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
May, Wyoming black bear hunt (again)
June/July, Texas exotics
Spring, Turkeys, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas
Fall/winter, Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, deer
November, Wyoming deer (if I draw)
December, North Carolina deer and black bear.

My new Tundra will be working overtime.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Idaho spring bear - my son turns 10 and this will be his first big game hunt!
Idaho Deer Elk - playing guide for my son and maybe I get to pull a trigger after hes done.
Wyoming Antelope - applied for a tough draw unit so we will see.
Utah - In for everything, will draw nothing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Forgot to mention September, Wyoming Antelope. But that's a tough draw, Area 50.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Pig hunting soon!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
September 15 .... I will be shooting video as my wife bow hunts deer in South East Missouri

October 6 .......... I will be shooting video as my wife hunts altelope and p-dogs in Eastern Colorado

November 3...... I will be hunting Mule deer in the mountains of Colorado

November 10...... I will be rifle hunting deer in North Missouri

November 17....... I will again be shooting video for my wife as she rifle hunts deer in Oklahoma

After all that's done I will have surgery on both of my eyes in early December

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.