Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thank you i will try that,,

need to talk to CCCC and krp to get more info on the 4 corners ,weather in FEB around the region and things to see'

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I went there a season or two ago....first time in like 30 years....

Don't get your hopes set too high....

or maybe I was missing something...

30 years ago or so, one didn't have to pay admission as I remember it...

nowadays the Indians run it.. and they are happily there with a booth. and a little old Indian woman
who was about 2 inches from being brain dead...

The scenery was kinda cool...sorry to say I was disappointed...

but you want to be unimpressed, go thru Shiprock NM...and look to get something to eat...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Part of my heritage comes from the 4 corners region, my Powell/Shelton relatives were spread out from Durango to Silver city, Cliffton to Safford. Many worked for El Paso gas, dry farmed in Dove Creek, my great grandparents Shelton are buried in Durango. My grandmother was 17 when they died, went to live with her older sister in Wilcox and met my grandfather at a dance in Safford, was married in Miami, Az. Her brother and my cousins stayed in Farmington and worked in the gas fields. My grandfather worked as a welder at times for El Paso when they brought their gas lines through AZ. I myself worked in the gas fields around Farmington on a Frac crew, had lots of cousins to hang out with.

I've fished the San Juan, lake Powell, Dolores fiver and other creeks, killed elk, explored indian ruins, skied Telluride/Silverton and once as a kid stood on the four corner marker.

That said there's not much happening in february except sking and staying warm, you might visit Mesa Verde and Canyon de chelly. So far the weather has stayed warm and if you fly fish the San Juan river or Lee's ferry may produce good fishing.

Not what I'd call the four corners but the Grand canyon is always a good spot to sight see even in the winter, it is cold at 7500 ft elevation in february, I have enjoyed the winter day there. It is still packed with people even then.

Shiprock... don't stop there, Cortez is 40 miles north or Farmington 40 miles east, depending on which way you are headed.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Friday dinner will be our traditional steak and fish, beans and tater salad

Saturday dinner I'm making elk tamales, tacos, rice, beans sopapillas, flour tortillas... may do dutch oven enchiladas if folks really want them again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Anyway, I made that taco/tamale dinner for family 2 days ago, 16 folks from age 2 to 91. Mia helped my sister make ice cream and the young'uns picked navels, which has become a holiday tradition for them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Monument Valley is awe inspiring. The visitor center is impressive, even if it is run by the Indians. The view from there is worth the time and small charge to check it out. There is good parking there for trailers and motor-homes. also.

I had never been to Zion National Park before this past year. It definitely exceeded my expectations.
Shiprock was a disappointment.

Lots of wide-open country and beautiful scenery in the Grand Canyon area. No matter how many pictures of the Grand Canyon one has seen, there is nothing like standing on the edge and taking it all in, in person.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Zion National Park....

Me and the wife on the way home from Quemado, drove thru it, as that is the way the hwy went...

it was late at night, and the front gate was open but no one to charge you for the trip thru...

There was a full moon out and no one else on the road....being after midnight...

The wife and I were both in shock going thru there at night, and with a full moon...

one of the most breathe taking things I've ever seen.. and I've been around some...

we did a u turn after getting to the other end of the park... and went back thru it, and sacked out
in the car at the east entrance... woke up early tho, and still no one at the gate...but I have a
senior National Park pass so it wouldn't have cost us anything anyway...

So we went back thru it again the next morning...it was once again breathe taking...
but not nearly as it was going thru at night with a full moon...

it gave the concept of awesome a whole new dimension....

definitely wouldn't bypass Zion N.P. and Norm, I've been all over BC.. so you might be immune
to some of our 'beauty' down here, compared to what is an every day occurrence in BC...

but I don't think you'd want to miss this one... regardless if it is out of the way, its worth every mile..

SE Utah and SW Colorado were also wonderful places to visit....
just like a lot of BC, just places that seem like they must be what heaven is like...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Norm, the guys here have given good info about that area in general. The more enjoyable aspects for me have been on the way to or through the FC area - Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly (sp?), fishing the San Juan, Mesa Verde, hunting the Uncompahgre plateau, etc. Actually, sites to the west have been more impressive in my case - Zion, Bryce, and especially the Grand Canyon. Kent is correct - will be probably be rather cold at the GC in Feb. (but it's a dry cold) however the views at sunrise with a dusting of snow on the facets can about the best of what is there for me. No matter how many times seen or down in there, it seems hard to beat.

There is more detailed info available from folks here. Sure hope you can make it to the gathering - safe travels.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks guys it all helps , the girl friend [ soon to be wife ] has been there on a tour but there is nothing like other first hand experience and male perspective,,smile,,.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Soon to be wife", eh Norm? Should we ask someone to bring that honeymoon tent in for you for this gathering?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Canyon de Chelley.

Also, I just drove across the Navajo Reservation last October. Their main roads are batter than any I drove on in California. There are new modern gas stations as well. A lot of money had gone into the Res since I've been there last.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There's plenty to see here in the winter, for sure.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
D
Well lucky you. Thousands of tags still available. But Dave and I did not get drawn.Did you see the picture of your javelina that you had hanging at Roosevelt?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is drawing a bit closer, but I still don't know what my work/travel schedule is going to look like. Hoping I can make this one!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
A little more than a month out.

Kent

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I'd like to mention again that those attending, if you have a black powder firearm to bring it and we will have a salute to cross.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kent,

I can make it now if you don't mind strangers from California. What do think I could bring to contribute?
Also, any tips on your experience from there? You said the weather should be fine for camping. Anything else?

Tracy (Ranger) Green

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tracy - Kent will have more info - but it normally is warmish and dry, high desert foothills, mesquite, palo verde, cactus, etc. Kent or Dennis probably will post "needs" for folks to bring, if there are any. Although a stranger from CA may be suspect and watched carefully, it will be no more acute than with the strangers from WA, CO, AR, TX, MT, and other far points. Glad you can make it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well literally minutes ago I was discussing this with my wife, given a Tuscon friend and I will be heading to my place in north Idaho the two weeks prior, and she highly recommended I leave once more for Tonto. Not sure what she is telling me but I am good to go and should be there. Debating on pulling my trailer or tenting it. If anyone is looking for a San Antonio area based road trip let me know.

Tracy,

Contrary to the PM I just sent, Parkside sausage would be more than welcomed. Also, I showed up fairly pronto a couple of years ago and just gave Kent some cash to help with the costs.

Ed

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good news Ed - will be excellent to see you again. Whatever Parkside is, sausage always seems to go great with whatever Kent makes for breakfast.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.