Print Thread
Hop To
#12509823 12/31/17
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Hi guys im new to the AR world as I have never had one before. I am wanting to try one out. I already have a 6.5 grendel in a howa mini so for the sake of keeping everything simple for now I would probably go with that cal. Can someone give me some info on what kind of upper and lower I should look for. I know that kind of stuff is alot personal preference butt I guess I am looking for some recomendations.

Thank you for any help you can give

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

ARIC

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Depends on what you are looking for, a stripped upper and lower? Or a complete upper and lower? I’ve bought stripped uppers and lowers from Areo and zero issues.

MAGA! This is the way!
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Probably since I really dont know anything about them I will look for a complete rifle

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
https://pro2a-tactical.com

Also do a search on gunbroker.com you will find plenty of good deals also.

MAGA! This is the way!
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Build one, then you will “know” about them.

One too many hobbies....
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
.308 based platforms have many more variables, and are much easier to screw up then a standard platform.

The best option is to start by building something with the standard 5.56 platform to gain an understanding of how it works. However if you insist on playing with the .208 based platform, stick with Armalite pattern stuff.

DPMS stands for Doesn't Ph-ucking Meet Standards.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/31/17.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Armalite makes good products but be advised their uppers will likely not fit any other lower. I have a friend that machines uppers and lowers and his lower will take the Armalite upper but it will have a gap at the bottom where Armalite machines their diagonal at the rear end. It does not affect the operation but you can see daylight under that diagonal. Armalite stuff is proprietary and patented.

There are so many companies making AR stuff it would be advisable to check what you are ordering to make sure it will fit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe the Grendel is based on the at-15 platform.
I believe you will also have to determine what you want the gun to do or how you will apply it. as another poster referenced there are deals to be had, the at market is soft. everyone who had a wrench, a vise and a set of punches became a builder. the at has become the tinker toy for big boys.
for just plinking and learning to shoot one I would tell you to get one in 5.56 nato or a wylde chamdered 223, ammo would be cheap. a basic gun to me for general use is a standard lower with a six position collapsible stock, a flat top upper but with the sights, a sixteen inch medium heavy barrel, 7 or 8 twist, with one of the slimmer forends that have the options to attach accessories. maybe I'm totally off as to what you want to use the gun for but like I said you have to determine what you want to accomplish.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd second the build idea. 6.5 Grendel goes in the ar15 format. Matched upper and lowers are nice. You will usually find better fit and less rattle. Matched billet upperand lower even better. You've just missed some great sales on Mega which I highly recommend.

For uppers: VLTOR, Mega, Spikes, Aero, Lantac, Seekins
Lower: look for same as above
Barrel: my BHW/Columbia River is a hammer. Ar15 performance when available are hammers as well. JP and Rainier have offerings as well.
BCG: on the Grendel you need to make sure your bolt and barrel are matching Type I or Type 2 or there will be headspace woes. JP will get you a barrel and matching bolt. Go Young, JP, FailZero, Precision Firearms, Rubber City
Barrel: Hard to go wrong with BHW/Columbia River or ar15performance. Don't let the price fool you.
Trigger: CMC straight or curved depending on your preference.
Go adjustable on the gas block. Superlative has been nice as well as SLR for me.

Two months ago I was a black rifle moron....I've built 6 in 60 days so be warned they is addictive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were looking to build an AR for the, "sake of keeping everything simple," I'd stick with the widely available 5.56/.223. Just my $.02.

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thank you for the input guys, thats why I posted here. I guess when i said keeping it simple I was referring to already having ammo and not having a .223 at this time, butt again I have ALOT to learn and I am willing to listen. Thanks

Abraham Lincoln

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you don't have a .223, now's a good time to get one!

You won't regret it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Yeah I know , I've had them in the past just dont right now butt anytimw is a good time to get another rifle.

Abraham Lincoln

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wilbilly,
I'm with BeardHunter on the barrel selection. BHW/Columbia River Arms barrels are outstanding. I have two of their P5 barrels (5 groove polygonal rifling) and they are very accurate and easy to clean.
True Sporting Arms LLC is the online store for BHW/Columbia River Arms; LINK

BTW, all Columbia River Arms/BHW 5.56 barrels are actually .223 Wylde, which is a match-style chamber that will accept 5.56 NATO rounds, but, because of it's tighter neck dimensions, will give much greater accuracy than a standard 5.56 NATO chamber.

I'm a Rock River fan for uppers and lowers. They are still running a special on their stripped lowers for $60.00 and their complete upper receivers are $105.00, regularly $145.00.

Lots of good components out there, some of them quite inexpensive. Three things you definitely want to spend the money on are the barrel, BCG, and the trigger. I'm a huge fan of Geissele SSA-E.
The sister company (actually the wife company grin ) of Geissele is ALG Defense. ALG makes great forends and inexpensive, yet quality, mil-spec triggers which do not have the gritty creep.
I own one Timney trigger in an AR and it's a single stage. It's a good trigger.

OH, and you may as well spring for the Geissele "Reaction Rod" and the Geissele "Reaction Block". They will be an immense help in your building your AR. Pyramid Arms had the best prices on those, but there may be a New Years sale somewhere that is even cheaper.

Lots of good YouTube tutorials on how to assemble your AR and there are some folks here on the Campfire who are masters at it.

Best wishes on your build!

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 01/01/18. Reason: added text & kaint typ ner spel

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Didn't realize ALG was the parent of geissele. My ALG buffer tube and spring are the only ones I've tried that are quiet and the engraved one is the only one that the numbers correspond to an actuall position. I could care less but helps my daughter see if I've been shooting hers and rapidly adjust. Also has the tightest fit on the MagPul ctr's we have.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good (inexpensive) AR's are everywhere now, it's a buyers market. I agree, a 223 Wylde would be the best first choice and I bought my first back in 08' after resisting for twenty years. They are still not as fun to me as a good bolt action but I am not selling them either. My BIL gave me a 6.5 Grendel upper for Christmas, totally unexpected and so far shooting pretty good.

There is a BHW 223 Wylde barrel on the way, if I can get it shooting less than 1.5" ten shot groups at a 100, I may build or buy a few more.

The Colt OEM-1 or 2 is on my list even though I don't really like AR's <grin>

Edit: suppressor ready adds to the fun!

Last edited by RDW; 01/01/18.

Dave

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
Didn't realize ALG was the parent of geissele. My ALG buffer tube and spring are the only ones I've tried that are quiet and the engraved one is the only one that the numbers correspond to an actuall position. I could care less but helps my daughter see if I've been shooting hers and rapidly adjust. Also has the tightest fit on the MagPul ctr's we have.

Actually, ALG came after Geissele was formed. ALG is the initials of Bill Geissele's wife. She does the mil-spec trigger stuff and a line of her own accessories at very reasonable prices.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wilbilly, Just in time for your project, JoeBob's Outfitters has Toolcraft Type 2 6.5 Grendel Nitrided BCG's on sale for $99.95! LINK

JoeBob's has helped me spend money for several years now. grin Really good people to deal with.

Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.