Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by myYukon
... "I'll play along. How did you come by this knowledge?"

AS I KNOW, it is 300 m, but I shorten it to 250 m, no animal will run away if a man is at even much shorter distance than 250 m. Each Hunter should make any afford to not wound an Animal but to make quick kill.
At 250 m bullet drop is enough (just below 0.7 m) to miss and Moose, all of other being perfect. But add many other problem, like wind, bullet energy is around half of muzzle energy,... there are great chance to wound an Animal and never recover it, especially Elk.
But this is the whole another story, and if you guys do knows it, and keep wounding Animals, well it is different problem.

"... And if you know this to be true, why are you asking if 250 m is "long range?"
I see many times wording as "Long-Range", but what it means is all I asked (is it 1000 m or 100 m, or ...). What is definition for Long-Range? and why Long and NO-Long range. Where is the threshold?
....................myYukon......You a Chevy Yukon fan or are you from the Yukon?..........Well this is interesting.

So you feel that in any given hunting situation, hunters who do not restrict themselves to 300 meters or less (except for coyotes) are idiots?

You would be right on the idiot portion but only in this respect. If a hunter failed to practice shooting at longer ranges, failed to properly sight in or zero his or her rifle beforehand, failed to make sure the rig is in good working order beforehand and failed in not knowing the bullet of choice trajectories and wind drifts etc beforehand. There are more categories of un-preparedness, but in general, not being properly prepared is idiocy. In that respect I would agree with you.

To put a range restriction on a well prepared in "all categories" hunter, using a proper long range cartridge, bullet and rifle to get the job done, which said hunter can properly handle, carry and can absorb recoil (if using a higher recoiling cartridge) is imo, a very ludicrous and idiotic observation on your part.

As an example!...... Lets assume a well prepared hunter who on the last day of his hunt spots a wonderful big bull elk at 400-500 yards. And because of the terrain cannot get closer and/or would risk detection by the bull if he tried to get closer. In your opinion he should not take the shot? I would agree with you in not taking the shot if the hunter were using a 30-30 or another inferior cartridge not designed for that purpose.

Lets see now.......Therefore in your opinion, any well prepared hunter using any one of the many excellent or outstanding long range cartridges, that regardless of long range capability to effectively kill elk or other game well beyond 400, 500, 600 yards etc,,,,,should not take the shot beyond 250-300 meters?

Well speaking for me, I think my 28 Nosler, 300 WSM, 338-378 Wby and maybe a soon to acquire 6.5/284 might disagree with you. And I have a feeling that all the well prepared boys who hunt longer ranges with their 25-06s, 257 Wbys, 260 Rems, 264 Win Mags, 6.5 Creeds, 6.5/284s, 26 Noslers, 6.5/300 Wbys, 270 Wins, 270 Wby Mags, 7mm Rem Mags, 7mm Wby Mags, 28 Noslers, 7 RUMs and STWs, 308s, 30-06s, 300 WSMs, 300 Win/Wby Mags, 300 RUMs, and even the powerful 338s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just may disagree with you as well........Sorry if I left out a favorite round!!! LOL

Sure! We all want to get as close as we can to any game. But to state that all who take a shot beyond 250-300 meters are idiots?

Next time you are standing in front of a mirror, what do you see? My guess is an idiot.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

BP-B2

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pre primary child development would be a good option before sending this kid to primary school.

Last edited by m77; 01/03/18.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
myyukon, kawi, persiadog and trythtan. Any other living relatives?

This is pure gold.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
As I know, anyone shooting at any Animal (except Coyote) at distance longer than 250 m is not a Hunter but an idiot, or sport-"hunter" who even do not take the killed Animal, just because only a few in N.A. can consistently shoot "accurately" (means: kill quick) at that large distance.

So what is for long-range Hunting. Is long-range associated only with target shooting? Is 250 m distance long-range?

He thank you for saying this for. I have no idea why people are do that for real. These times always 250m and beyond sometimes too. I'm just not totally it but it's not been a problem neither. People should be happy when they get to know that they can hunt down the deer more closer. Sometimes they'd Justin need told bout it. I appreciate your advice and hint. Look forward to the film at 11. Does because they're not hunters just to. Last time was farther but they better now to by the way

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Kaleb
As I know, anyone shooting at any Animal (except Coyote) at distance longer than 250 m is not a Hunter but an idiot, or sport-"hunter" who even do not take the killed Animal, just because only a few in N.A. can consistently shoot "accurately" (means: kill quick) at that large distance.

So what is for long-range Hunting. Is long-range associated only with target shooting? Is 250 m distance long-range?

He thank you for saying this for. I have no idea why people are do that for real. These times always 250m and beyond sometimes too. I'm just not totally it but it's not been a problem neither. People should be happy when they get to know that they can hunt down the deer more closer. Sometimes they'd Justin need told bout it. I appreciate your advice and hint. Look forward to the film at 11. Does because they're not hunters just to. Last time was farther but they better now to by the way

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Golden............
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Damn this boy does not hear his village calling him back home.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dave, is that you?

I resent coyotes being excluded, Coyotes Lives Matter.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the cold finally got to Trystan

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good God. Some people.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Dam sounds like it's time to drop a chlorine tablet in the gene pool.

Lol

If I give an opinion on it, I have used or owned it.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Amax

Lol

Thinking more like a courtesy flush

Golden............
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ignorance on display.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by davidlea
Originally Posted by Amax

Lol

Thinking more like a courtesy flush

The OP is more like an upper decker.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hot damn....I've been telling you guys you're all idiots for years.. eek...and here this guy comes with more proof! crazy smile

All those 600, 800, 1200, 1500 shots are just 'blowing smoke' and any idiot knows those kinda shots can't be made!

grin smirk laugh

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wish the OP would have posted this 10 yrs ago. I would have saved a ton of money. Lmao

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funniest thing I’ve read in years....Keep going back to re-read this. Pure talent! 🤣😂

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Don’t feed the trolls...

This. I wish these trolls had a fifth grade grammar education, rather than just consuming many, many fifths.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Our quality of trolls on this forum just isn’t what it used to be.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
who can hunt long range and who can't ? all men are not born equal. even pro shooters can't be extremely good. but for conversation sake long range shooting an hunting is all about practicing and getting better over time.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.