-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at a second base layers. Goal is hiking into mountain hunting destinations 1-3 miles when its 15-40 degrees. Upon arrival and cool down, put on a puffy. Several have recommended the R1 hoody over a light base layer. Looking at the Patagonia site, they make an R1, R2, and R3 hoody. Talking to the Patagonia folks, they recommended the R2 hoody.

Anyone use any of the R series?

Opinions on wearing a Capilene Lightweight or Midweight and a R1 or R2 hoody for the stated purpose?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B,
I've used the R1(hoody) for many years over a cap1 or cap2 from temps of +45 to -25 *F. I've never tried the R2, but have an R3 that sees mostly 'casual' use though I will say that the warmth and breathability are outstanding. The nice thing about the R1 hoody is how fast it dries. The hood fits very well under a hat or climbing helmet, and it has thumb loops that help hold in the warmth and keeps the sleeves from riding up your arms. Just a kick-ass fleece all the way around.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You were one that suggested the R1. I've been reading up on them as a result - thank you!

A question on size. I have a 41" chest - exactly between their Med and Large. These fit big, small, other?

Last edited by bwinters; 01/02/18.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an R1 hoody that is a great garment, would work well for what your stated purpose would be. Mines a large, I’m on the large/XL border and it does ok for me. I’d say they run pretty true to size

Sitka makes a sweet Lightweight core hoody that I just picked up, nice piece of gear that I expect to use a lot. Has a neat built in face mask. Have found them on eBay in 70-80 dollar range new

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
You were one that suggested the R1. I've been reading up on them as a result - thank you!

A question on size. I have a 41" chest - exactly between their Med and Large. These fit big, small, other?

Fit runs a bit on the slim side-I'd go with Large.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
David - you're probably the guy that bought the Large on eBay yesterday AM. It was in my watched items but I missed it. 😢

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm looking at a second base layers. Goal is hiking into mountain hunting destinations 1-3 miles when its 15-40 degrees. Upon arrival and cool down, put on a puffy. Several have recommended the R1 hoody over a light base layer. Looking at the Patagonia site, they make an R1, R2, and R3 hoody. Talking to the Patagonia folks, they recommended the R2 hoody.

Anyone use any of the R series?

Opinions on wearing a Capilene Lightweight or Midweight and a R1 or R2 hoody for the stated purpose?

Thanks.

The Patagonia R1/waffletop is easily the single most used piece of clothing that I and those I work with use. R1 over a lightweight base layer is pretty much the standard. The R2 is too warm and heavy in my view. For the weight one can easily go with more warmth and less bulk or less weight and bulk for the same warmth with a LW puffy. .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with Formid, the R1 is the sweet spot of performance and weight in the R series. While actively hiking in 15*-40* the R1 is on the warm side for me personally over a 150 wt. wool base layer though. Once upon a time Patagonia made an R .5 that was better for my system. My favorite synthetic fabric for that niche is Polartec Powerdry, which is woven in a high surface area style like a micro version of the R1 waffle, but a bit lighter.

Examples would be the NW Alpine Black Spider Light or Rab Baseline Hoody. For a screaming deal on a micro-grid option, the Melanzana version is awesome at $70 new. Main problem is there is no zip. Looks like you can only buy them in-store in Leadville until later in 2018 though.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just noticed that the backpack forum is the only spot on the 24 hcf that you can mention Patagonia products in a favorable light w/out being labeled a commie/liberal /homo. Must attract a different user group.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I just noticed that the backpack forum is the only spot on the 24 hcf that you can mention Patagonia products in a favorable light w/out being labeled a commie/liberal /homo. Must attract a different user group.

mike r

A more intelligent crowd as dumb dumbs don't last long on backcountry trips!

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I owned an R1 hoody, nice garment, but a little warm on the move for me; I’ve since switched to their Capilene Thermalweight hoody- same grid fleece, deep zip and nice fitting hood- just in a slightly lighter polartec fabric, an R1 light if you will

thermal weight hoody

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've done that many times and in colder temperatures. First of all, I see nothing wrong with your ideas, but I would suggest either a Silk weight or a Light Weight Capliene base layer not wool. Wool stays wet and dries out much slower than Capliene. That's what will chill you when you stop to glass for a while. The combination works very well because it breathes well and passes moisture. E

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,010
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.