Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
While I'm still leaning on towards a St.Croix, one could hardly go wrong with a Cabelas for that price. I'll have to keep an eye out over the winter months. Was hoping Santa woulda left me one, but it didn't pan out.

GB2

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Philos
The CGR is on sell fairly often. I have the 2 weight and it is fun. It is not for big fish by any means and is very soft but I like it.

I'll have to keep my eyes open and check in from time to time then. Thanks Philos.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by bobmn
Google Tenkara. It is a Japanese form of fly fishing using a rod with no reel. I have been fly fishing conventional tackle for 40 years but Tenkara is perfect for small streams.

Tenkara is not fly fishing. I wish this fad would die.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by kscowboy01
Originally Posted by bobmn
Google Tenkara. It is a Japanese form of fly fishing using a rod with no reel. I have been fly fishing conventional tackle for 40 years but Tenkara is perfect for small streams.

This is the very reason why I dislike fly fishing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

This apparent holier than thou attitude is why I dislike fly fishermen almost as much as I like fly fishing. Ignorant POS post ... Tenkara absolutely IS fly fishing. Stick, string, fly ... game over. Makes about as much sense to omit Tenkara as it does anything using a level line or lines with an odd numbered line weight: NONE.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
My sentiments exactly! A lot of fly fisherman have a holier than thou attitude!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ridgerunner85

That's why I love outfishing the bastards and KEEPING my fish to eat instead of releasing them. Drives them crazy. I catch more fish on my 200 dollar fly set up than the uppities with over a grand worth of gear in their hands. Love it.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

ive been fly fishing over 40 years and have fished all over the world. Fly and conventional gear.Ive guided fly and conventional gear.

There is some truth tto the fact hat a lot of fly guys are self important uptight anal d bags. I'll take a god conventional gear guy who knows structure, feeding, water temps, pressure, drift etc over a strict fly only guy any day. Any really competent salt or fresh water fisherman knows to look and learn study all forms all methods of fishing.

I just like to catch fish and I have leaned a lot over the years reading, studying fly and conventional gear techniques.

I like to fish multiple species in lakes , rivers, salt because it is always challenging.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I just like to catch fish too. It doesn't matter to me how I catch mine or how you catch yours, as long as it's legal. Yes, I keep some too. I just fear this uppity attitude in both hunting in fishing will lead to the ultimate despise of the sports we know and love. I mean didn't we all start fishing with a hand me down rod, a bobber, can of worms, and a farm pond full of sunfish?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just like to catch fish too. It doesn't matter to me how I catch mine or how you catch yours, as long as it's legal. Yes, I keep some too. I just fear this uppity attitude in both hunting in fishing will lead to the ultimate despise of the sports we know and love. I mean didn't we all start fishing with a hand me down rod, a bobber, can of worms, and a farm pond full of sunfish?

We did and it still brings a smile to my face. I have found Tenkara to actually be much closer to that than fly fishing. Fly fishing in streams for trout is my favorite fishing. That being said, I love fishing with all sorts of gear for all sorts of fish and routinely do.

Fly fishing became elitist largerly post "the movie" when a certain type of people took it up. I recall being openly scorned by two of the sort because I was catching trout on nymphs and they failed with dries. Would I rather fish dry flies? Sure, but I sure enjoy the challenge of nymphing and even the strike when swinging some no-hackles.

I taught myself the basics of fly fishing on a sod farm irrigation pond in south Chicago circa 1973. I've been learning ever since. I usually keep some stocker trout (and I'm often the guy helping float stock) every year as they won't make it through the summer in our local streams. There's room for all of us.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
For the money, the Redington classic trout is hard to beat. I fish small streams too, but I think 7’6” is short enough and easier to cast. Get an inexpensive reel, and a good double taper line. They’re delicate, and can be flipped and both sides used when only fishing small water.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M

This apparent holier than thou attitude is why I dislike fly fishermen almost as much as I like fly fishing. Ignorant POS post ... Tenkara absolutely IS fly fishing. Stick, string, fly ... game over. Makes about as much sense to omit Tenkara as it does anything using a level line or lines with an odd numbered line weight: NONE.

Tom

How true, I love fly fishing and prefer using a fly rod but the holier than thou purist attitude is total kcrap. Tenkara is an art and is fly fishing just as the time honored technique of using a fly rod and reel, sticking the rod through a bunch of brush and "dabbiing" for trout or pan fish is also fly fishing.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just in case anyone is interested, the Cabela's CGR rods are back on sale for $39.99. I just picked one up!

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a little old Eagle Claw 6' 5 wt fiberglass flyrod, Martin reel and 5 wt DT floating line. I've caught a lot of very nice brookies in WI floating rubber ants under the brush. A lot of the streams are just tunnels through alder brush and no place to cast just let it drift with the current, the 6 footer lets me reach either side of the creek.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
erich
I have an Eagle Claw 6'6" 3/4 wt fiberglass rod ($30)and a White River Intruder (BassPro) 3/4 fly reel ($30). Have < $100 total with rod, reel, line, backing, and leader. Works great in small streams with little room to cast. I prefer a DT line for these conditions as it allows to more easily roll cast the small flies and nymphs. I also like pan fishing for sunfish, small bass. white bass, and wipers with it also, its a blast hooking into 2 lb white bass or wiper on such light tackle. The fly reel even includes a disc drag. I also make my own rod cases from PVC and sew my own rod socks. I have built many fly rods including Fenwick, St Croix, and R. L. Winston but still like these short fiberglass rods.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I typically use two different rods here in northern Pennsylvania on small trout streams. They are 7'9" 2 wt and 3wt rods and they work really well on these small intimate streams. I use double taper lines and for most of the brookie fishing, simple dry flies on a 7-9 foot leader works just fine. I also recently picked up one of Sage's 0 weights and it is proving to be a real pleasure to fish the small stuff with. I need to fish with it on more water until I have an honest opinion though.

John

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What would be a good reel to affix to this Cabela's CGR 2 weight rod?

It's fairly petite, so I'm thinking maybe and Orvis Battenkill (size 1) or a Temple Forks BVK in size 0.

Last edited by J23; 04/19/18.

Ted Nugent

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a battenkill on my 2 wt

Decent reel

The Cortland retro, no longer produced, is a nice reel too
Can find used for around $60

Have heard good things about the tfo reels too

Love the bvk rods

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just dropped the hammer on a Reddington Zero.

Ted Nugent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
LL Bean has this nifty little two-piece fly rod on sale.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/687...;attrValue_0=Green&productId=1119692

I just bought this one about a month or so ago when it was on sale . . . 6' 6" 3wt

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/731...;attrValue_0=Brown&productId=1201779

I have really enjoyed this rod this winter trout season in Oklahoma. Looking forward to using it for pan fish on farm ponds (with float tube) this summer.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
577 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.