-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I worked in a grocery store meat department for the first 10 years of my working life. Full time meat cutter. The last store I worked at before I got away from the trade had a huge box full of knifes that some other cutters had tossed aside as being dull or tip was bent or broken. These are all mostly victronox and a few dexter russel. Hard black fribox handles. I was told i could have them and they have been sitting in a closet for several years now. Have any of you knife guys ever revived knives like these. Rehandled or anything. Just looking they them i have 10” 12” breaking several 6” boning and some 8” They are not in horrible shape though the handles appear to have a film on them i have not been able to remove. Probably 20 knives total looking for ideas. Maybe get them cleaned up and pass them out to hunting buddies.

Proud supporter of the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy i work with had a box of retired chicken knives from the nearby plant. I took a couple for deboning deer meat. Couldn’t sharpen them for nothing. Guess they were retired for a reason.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I’m sure they have been through several shifts on the cutting block. Surely there is a way to get an edge back on them. Maybe not. There knifes are not terribly expensive. $20/30 bucks would buy knew ones.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Outbackman
I did a job similar to this situation you have.
A guy here on 24hr had some very tired old meat cutting/kitchen knives from in family.
I reshaped the blades as best could and re-handled them for him to share with younger generation.
As far as I know everyone was happy.

A pic of what you have would help in making suggestions.
If the handles are all molded on, it may present issues with re-handling.
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 01/04/18.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
unless you just want something to do, refurbishing cheap throw away knives is a waste of time

Sam......

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Refurbishing just to use cheap knives a little longer is probably not wise unless you are doing it for yourself for whatever reason.

However, if the knives have some personal value, repair is not tooooo expensive and you want them functional again for whatever reason.... It can work.
I have picked up some new ideas tearing apart and regrinding worn out, broken and inexpensive knives. And it also can be a total waste of time.
Just sayin.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tim. I’m certain the handles are molded on. They are hard black plastic with barely a rubbery feel. I have thought about how to remove them. Probably want bother. Maybe just try to get good edge back on them and use at deer camps and maybe give a couple to friends etc

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, if the handles are good to stay on the knives, the blades can probably be reground fairly easily.
If you want something done let me see a pic of the stuff you would like reground and sharpened.

Tim

Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 47 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.