Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jayzus.

LOL
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would really like to find an RT in 30-30 someday. Savage 99s in 30-30 are multiplying in my house like rabbits.

Both are beautiful rifles there.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice rifles! I think iv only seen one RT for sale and I bought it, it now lives in N.H.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I really appreciate the two side by side to compare. A few subtle differences in checkering front and back, buttplates, forearm profiles, etc. Those are breathtaking.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beautiful rifles!

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, just wow!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Beautiful.
Sadly, it appears 99 Savages were never very popular here in Tennessee. The ones that were here seemed to gravitate toward Bubba.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Day-yum...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both are very nice pre war/war models. File this under why didn't they do that; The pre war R and RS both have their combs notched, making for a sweet looking rifle to my eyes. Why not the T? Savage went to the trouble to do a special fore end for the T why not add a little more cost/effort and notch the comb? Its a small complaint.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been talking to Bill, he's been having a hard time posting on here so he more or less just gave up.

I'm guessing thats why Bert posted the pics of his guns for him.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
That a pair that beats a full house !! grin beautiful rifles. Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice in deed!

Nice to compare!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For those of us who don't know, whats the difference between an R and RT.? Judging from the photos the only difference I can see is the checkering pattern on the forearm, with the latter looking like a forearm from a post-war R. But both appear to have pre-war receivers. I've heard of Rs and RSs, but not RTs. Both are remarkable specimens!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sure wish Bill would get online. He's having software issues and asked me to post these beauties.

It's a little hard to notice but if you look carefully you'll note the front sight on the "T" is the red version. cool

Last edited by olgrouser; 01/05/18.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by S99VG
For those of us who don't know, whats the difference between an R and RT.? Judging from the photos the only difference I can see is the checkering pattern on the forearm, with the latter looking like a forearm from a post-war R. But both appear to have pre-war receivers. I've heard of Rs and RSs, but not RTs. Both are remarkable specimens!

Also, looks to me like the tip of the forearm of the T is a bit larger and squarer/blunt vs the RT.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The primary identifier for me is a T forearm with R checkering. But there are other things....Serial numbers from during the war, 22” barrels in calibers that should have 24” barrels if it was an R, caliber (30-30) in a rifle that are numbered after Savage quit chambering rifles in that caliber...
There is probably more, but that what I see.

Brian

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by S99VG

RT is a made up name which was concocted by this forum, I believe. Savage never cataloged an RT. David Royal's book has info on the RT on pgs. 83 &84. As of 8/28/2016 Rick 99 had data on 24 RT rifles in varying calibers and barrel lengths. There is no concrete info, that I know of, about why Savage made this variation which was made close to the time that Savage was about to move the plant from Utica to Chicopee Falls. It is clear to me from Rick's info that some, if not all, of these rifles were made up from barrels that Savage must have had in stock and were trying to use up before the move. That does not explain the reason for the different forearm style, however. Were these a special order for a distributor or ??? We don't know.

I have an RT in .30-30 with a 22" barrel, s/ 432XXX. Both the front of the frame and the bottom of the barrel of this are stamped with a 5. I have no idea of the significance of this stamping.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In addition to the checkering pattern being different the forearm is wider and flatter on the bottom of an "RT". If you have one of each in hand you can notice a distinct difference in the dimensions of the forearm. There was an old thread a few years ago where Phill99 (Rod) took the time to measure the dimension of the 2 forearms with a caliper and there were marked differences.

Maybe somebody with better 24hourcampfire skills than I have can find that old thread.

They are really cool guns and a mystery lost to history, which makes them double cool IMO. cool

Last edited by 99guy; 01/05/18.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 99guy
In addition to the checkering pattern being different the forearm is wider and flatter on the bottom of an "RT". If you have one of each in hand you can notice a distinct difference in the dimensions of the forearm. There was an old thread a few years ago where Phill99 (Rod) took the time to measure the dimension of the 2 forearms with a caliper and there were marked differences.

Maybe somebody with better 24hourcampfire skills than I have can find that old thread.

They are really cool guns and a mystery lost to history, which makes them double cool IMO. cool

I think this is it: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/8001715/The_99_RT_What_do_we_know_for_

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.