Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bwinters
... I still like Kuiu but I've never cared for the fit of the Guide jkt. I have a large but when I layer under it, it gets tight in the chest and arms in a hurry. I'm certainly not Arnold. I tried an XL and all it did was look like a dress on me...

Originally Posted by prm
The arms are my issue with the DCS Guide jacket. I'm not popeye but it is difficult to layer under. Body is fine but the arms are relatively thin... I've tried layering the Kuiu Super Down under it (with a Patagonia silk weight capilene layer) and it is compressed. I also tried layering the Super Down under a Mountain Hardware wind stopper jacket and it worked better as a result of not being compressed at all...

I had exactly the same problems with the Guide Jacket plus it was really tight in the armpits, making me sweat, and feeling itchy. It is funny what you mention, bwinters, since I bought a larger size and "all it did was look like a dress on me". Sitka's Jetstream has been perfect, with my right size being totally comfortable in the chest, armpits and forearms, and allowing for a Kenai or a Superdown Ultra hhody underneath without compressing it.

I have not found the same problem with KUIU Yukon jacket, though, and it is my go-to outer shell in humid weather, saving the room in the pack of carrying an extra layer in the form of raingear.

Last edited by chamois; 01/05/18.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've seen little discussion here on the stink aspect of synthetics, Capilene in particular, only that merino wool manages odor better. Whats the experience of those who have worn it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've worn Patagonia capilene dayhiking in the Smokies for a few years. I detect no odor after 1 day which isn't much of a test. I did wear the same shirt 2 days in a row this year to test - still no odor. I also wore the First Lite Minerett Aerowool for 3 straight days in colder temps a few weeks back. I had a few sweaty days in that shirt - no odor at all after 3 days. I'm hoping someone chimes in with 3+ days of capilene wear. I can vouch for multiple day wear on FL Minerett and Outdoor Research Sequence base layers. No odor after 3 days of use.

Kuiu is having a sale, started today, on alot of base layer clothes in gray and brown. I ordered a Peleton 200 hoody, Peleton 130 crew, and Peleton 200 zip off bottoms. Be trying those both out later this month - we have a couple of big hikes to do. Probably won't get to the multiple day thing till spring when we have a couple of backpack trips in the works.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great thread that has me re-evaluating my gear as well. Question: Would a thin next to skin Merino t-shirt under a synthetic be a viable option to manage the funk and still dry out sufficiently quickly, compared to all out synthetics? Wondering if the over merino layer could help draw the moisture out.

Do or do not, there is no try.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I took a hike at lunch today. Just a couple miles around the mountain I live on. It was 14deg, windy, and sunny. Had a base layer of Patagonia silk weight capilene, Prana Zion pants, Salomon Quest boots, Kuiu Yukon Pro Gloves, polartech beanie and a ~45-50lb pack (Kifaru Reckoning). Started by adding a Kuhl Interceptor fleece. Not bad. Retained a little moisture, arms were a little cold. Probably not the best for me due to lack of moisture management, but not terrible. Swapped the Kuhl fleece out for a Guide DCS jacket. I was surprised, my arms were now very cold. The relatively tight fit of the sleeves and the apparent lack of insulating properties of that jacket didn't work well at all. I did like the hood. I've never been much of a hoody user, but I may rethink that. Keeping the wind off the neck was nice. I could just use a gaiter. Lastly, I switched to Mountain Hardware wind stopper jacket. It's pretty old so I don't know what a comparable model is today. Anyway, of the three it was by far the best. Putting it on was instant warmth, but I never got clammy or overly sweaty. It has pit zips but they were closed. That jacket, with a hood would be perfect. It also fits so that my kuiu super down fits well underneath for when stopped, or just around camp. Only drawbacks are it is not water resistant and it's black. I don't need camo, but black is probably not preferred. Just a nice earth tone would be fine. Edit: The gloves. Not sure I understand the design. They are relatively thick in the palms, but very thin on the back. The back of my hands felt almost numb from cold, especially side facing into wind, while the palm side was toasty. Weird.

My plan for the base layer is to have 2. Probably the capilene and maybe an aerowool. They are so light and small its not much of a penalty to carry an extra and then I can simply rinse one in a creek and hang in tent during the day. Maybe have to do that once over a 5 day hunt.

Last edited by prm; 01/05/18.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hoping others will chime in. I'm finding in the east, Merino wool takes a long time to dry, thin or not. I'd suggest try it out - take it for a hike or workout, get sweaty and see how long it takes to dry and more importantly how it feels. I get cold with sweaty Merino next to my skin because it takes a while to dry out. I'd be curious what you find. All of this makes for good data points.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
prm - interesting observations. I've found the Kuiu Guide to be pretty warm in most situations. I'm wondering how well the MH jacket breathes. Some of those type garments feel really good at first because they don't breathe well and basically trap alot of moist heat. I'd be curious how the layering worked after being sweaty and sitting still for a couple hours.

On the 2 base layers - that's my plan as well. I've been trying out that system all fall and really like it. Picked up a 200 Peleton hoody today and am anxious to try it out on a couple of hikes.

Thanks for the report.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I picked a 200 Peleton hoody as well. And a Teton Rain jacket. I'm disappointed with the Guide jacket. If temps are warmer it's fine. But the "athletic cut" for an outer layer seems ridiculous. If the sleeves were just bigger around I could make it work real well.

I thought the MH jacket would not breathe well, but it was not an issue. It was noticeably better than my Kuhl wool fleece. It also has the pit zips to help ventilate. This hike wasn't long enough to really test out the moisture management though.

I didn't try my Teton jacket on the first hike, but after trying it on when I got back I took it out for a short loop. It is a large vice the medium Guide jacket. The best part is the arms aren't snug. It felt better than the Guide jacket for this short trip. What it really does better is fit over the super down jacket. That's a nice warm combination.

Last edited by prm; 01/05/18.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I bought a pair of Kuiu Expedition gloves for my hunt in MT, and had high hopes they would keep my hands warm, they were a waste of $$ and I'm sorry I bought them, granted temps were down to -10 but ended up using my Cabela's wool thinsulate that were less than half the cost and worked twice as good!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
I also wasn't aware Patagonia made so many good pieces - I'm gonna need to sell my truck and buy a Prius next <G>

bwinters,

I probably have as much Patagonia/Marmot/North Face clothing in my closet as Sitka/Kuiu/First Lite.

Great stuff!!!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I bought a pair of Kuiu Expedition gloves for my hunt in MT, and had high hopes they would keep my hands warm, they were a waste of $$ and I'm sorry I bought them, granted temps were down to -10 but ended up using my Cabela's wool thinsulate that were less than half the cost and worked twice as good!

I don’t find that any gloves keep me warm at that temp. Mitts only for single digits and below.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

I don’t find that any gloves keep me warm at that temp. Mitts only for single digits and below.

I realize that those temps were a tough test but the cheaper wool gloves did really well....never tried the mitts but will now!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One jacket I get a lot of use out of in particular is the Patagonia Nano Puff.

On paper or in the store it doesn’t look real special, but they are pretty much windproof and surprisingly warm. Also, the fabric is quiet enough for still hunting with a rifle. One of them is almost always in my pack.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I find the First Lite Uncomphagre so magical that I own 3 of them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alukban

Interesting. I found it to be completely worthless. Not warm at all.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by STS45

Interesting. I found it to be completely worthless. Not warm at all.

That’s crazy; I have one of their vests and it’s warmer than down models I’ve had and far more packable. I love it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yep, they're that good...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stay away from the first Lite puffy if warmth is your goal... favorite jacket I own for fit/features and probably the best hood on the market, but it is far from warm compared to my Eddie Bauer pack jacket that goes everywhere with me and is beat to sht.

Last edited by Mk7mmSTW; 01/08/18.

"life is tough... It's even tougher when your stupid"

The Duke
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I kinda don't look at the First Lite Uncomphagre as a "real puffy". Let me say that it is definitely NOT the "warmest puffy". For me, I want the warmest AND least bulky "puffy" that has a particular fit. It is its confluence of features that distinguishes it to me.

I look at it more as windshell with an excellent cut (hood and archer's sleeves) that happens to have some UL insulation in the correct places. It is so thin and trim, I could wear a puffy over it. The body is also cut extremely generously to fit vests underneath but it is still not too bulky.

The Uncomphagre seems to be warm in complete disproportion to its bulk (lack of). That's where its "magic" is to me.

FWIW

Last edited by alukban; 01/09/18.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

I kinda don't look at the First Lite Uncomphagre as a "real puffy". Let me say that it is definitely NOT the "warmest puffy". For me, I want the warmest AND least bulky "puffy" that has a particular fit. It is its confluence of features that distinguishes it to me.

I look at it more as windshell with an excellent cut (hood and archer's sleeves) that happens to have some UL insulation in the correct places. It is so thin and trim, I could wear a puffy over it. The body is also cut extremely generously to fit vests underneath but it is still not too bulky.

The Uncomphagre seems to be warm in complete disproportion to its bulk (lack of). That's where its "magic" is to me.

FWIW

Well said

Page 10 of 22 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.